• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Ken Akamatsu Acknowledges Negima Film's Changes

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 11:11 am Reply with quote
""The classmates who are not part of the Permanent Pactio will lose all their memories of magic the next morning." "

Oh, that is BULLSHIT!!!
DavidShallcross

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 11:26 am Reply with quote
Does that also mean the nonhuman classmates become human? It could be inconvenient being a vampire, a magically activated robot, a ghost, or a half-tengu, without any memory of magic.
ninjapet

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 11:59 am Reply with quote
I'm personally ok with this being the last bit of anime they're going to do.

It's not following the manga per say but it's good enough to give a "what if" in the back of the viewers minds I think. Though I do wish it was longer than an hour Crying or Very sad
nottimkai

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 12:10 pm Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
""The classmates who are not part of the Permanent Pactio will lose all their memories of magic the next morning." "

Oh, that is BULLSHIT!!!

I think they want to stop making anime of this series, so they need a legitimate END, and right here is a legitimate end, scripted by - or at least involving - Akamatsu. The latest chapter of the manga (I read scans and buy official) has a note at the end that states that after that specific point (chapter 335) the story splits between the manga and the movie. Who knows what will actually happen when the manga ends, Akamatsu has said that he has about 200 more chapters to it that he wants to do to complete the story. Personally, I think that a "B" ending to the series is an interesting idea, and look forward to someday seeing the movie.

DavidShallcross wrote:
Does that also mean the nonhuman classmates become human? It could be inconvenient being a vampire, a magically activated robot, a ghost, or a half-tengu, without any memory of magic.

**Potential Spoilers**

Evangeline does not have a Pactio with Negi, but I kinda wonder about Chachamaru, that is a good point. I have to assume that her memories from before Negi made the pactio would still hold true, since she had a master/servant contract with Evangeline, although there is no data yet on that. Setsuna has her pactio with Konoka, and is probably a special case. And Sayo existed just fine with no knowledge of magic before, although the idea of losing her friends because of that (her friends all know about her in relation to Negi's magic) is kinda heartbreaking. DID Sayo ever actually DO a pactio with Negi? She had a robot body created by Haruna's Artifact card (complete with 'Sayo Punch' and Vulcan Cannon that shot from her head) ... they were talking about it, I know, but I don't know if they ever actually did it ... they ran out of time in the manga plot, I think.

Last edited by nottimkai on Fri Aug 26, 2011 12:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 12:26 pm Reply with quote
DavidShallcross wrote:

I would expect it would only apply to those that had no knowledge of magic before the pactio.

It would not read too much into a single translated sentence.
DavidShallcross

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 1:02 pm Reply with quote
Yes, I was taking the sentence too literally. A much more plausable version would be that those classmates who only learned about magic because of Negi would forget, except for his permanent partner. Otherwise Negi would be transformed into an ermine, as was threatened long ago.

And I think Sayo was discovered by one of the girls, what's-her-name, the photojournalist, without Negi or magic being involved. I'm not sure whether the manga and the various anime are consistent on this point.
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 4:04 pm Reply with quote
DavidShallcross wrote:
Yes, I was taking the sentence too literally. A much more plausable version would be that those classmates who only learned about magic because of Negi would forget, except for his permanent partner. Otherwise Negi would be transformed into an ermine, as was threatened long ago.

A more likely interpretation, but still unpleasant when considering the personality changes many of the girls have gone through because they became involved with magic. Plus, this isn't like Harry Potter where you're either born with magic or not; characters have become or are becoming fully-fledged mages in their own right, but because of this that just gets reset? And that includes a character whose parents hid the fact that they were mages from her. That's like an inverted loophole in the ermine clause.

This pretty much means he's going to have to choose Asuna in the movie, which means Yue will forget about her new best friends Emily and Collette (and Beatrix, too, I guess); Nodoka forgets about her treasure hunting buddies; Ako loses either her entire character arc, or possibly worse, just its resolution; Chisame remains mostly isolated from her classmates, although possibly close enough to start becoming friends with them; Ayaka gets screwed over because she must remain out of the loop about Asuna, despite the two being at least as close of friends as Konoka and Asuna. Then you've got the weird cases like how spoiler[Natsume and Kotarou are still in pactio phase], so she'd keep her memories, but spoiler[Akira and Ako] forget what they went through together.

Quote:
And I think Sayo was discovered by one of the girls, what's-her-name, the photojournalist, without Negi or magic being involved. I'm not sure whether the manga and the various anime are consistent on this point.

The manga has Kazumi capturing a photograph of Sayo with a normal camera. She briefly becomes visible to everyone on her own, and shortly after is permanently visible to Kazumi (attributed partly to them having neighboring seats for 3 years), and so would probably remember her. The other characters' ability to see her seems related to magical ability to a degree, but it's not a straight correlation.
The Xebec anime is mostly similar in the details of how she is discovered, but after the incident, Eva casts a spell to make her visible to the entire class. Because it wasn't Negi, the girl's memory of (and ability to see) Sayo would probably be unaffected, but given that version's explanation of Asuna's abilities, though, the crossover is irrelevant, as it's difficult to reconcile it with the events the movie will cover and Asuna's role in them.
The Shaft anime, I don't quite remember the details. They discover Sayo without Negi's magic, but they may have needed it to find out who she actually is, and I can't remember if it's Negi or Eva who cast a spell to let Kazumi's camera show Sayo. Also, it's Sayo's pactio with Negi that makes her visible without to people without the camera.
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 4:52 pm Reply with quote
Dorcas_Aurelia wrote:
This pretty much means he's going to have to choose Asuna in the movie, which means Yue will forget about her new best friends Emily and Collette (and Beatrix, too, I guess); Nodoka forgets about her treasure hunting buddies; Ako loses either her entire character arc, or possibly worse, just its resolution; Chisame remains mostly isolated from her classmates, although possibly close enough to start becoming friends with them; Ayaka gets screwed over because she must remain out of the loop about Asuna, despite the two being at least as close of friends as Konoka and Asuna. Then you've got the weird cases like how spoiler[Natsume and Kotarou are still in pactio phase], so she'd keep her memories, but spoiler[Akira and Ako] forget what they went through together.

I agree on Asuna being the almost certain pactio (much as I dislike that result, it's pretty much been expected from day 1), altho, I guess it IS entirely possible that Negi does NO permanent pactio (yet) and instead everything resets to him being a teacher at Mahora, most of his students being unaware of his status... just like all the OTHER teachers.

If Yue & Nodoka get reset, that IS really disappointing, ESPECIALLY Yue, since as you said, she was becoming a mage on her own. Chisame (who I don't like) doesn't need to be isolated since Negi got her closeR to the class via very mundane means (becoming a fan of her net persona) rather than magical ones. You could argue Chisame only put effort in returning it due to the weirdness of the magical world, but it seems like it could at least be questionable where she resets.

One point of confusion, who're Al and Rakan pactio'd to? Al SAID during the tournament that he knows Nagi is alive because of the pactio he has with him. I find it hard to believe Nagi's only pactio is with Al. But if that's not a "permanent" pactio, then why would Negi's have a time limit?
taraterrrific

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 6:24 pm Reply with quote
b-b-but does this mean that all the friendships and hardships they went through will be forgotten as well? thats horrible! D:
Magic is the reason the class is so close, it'd be absolutely terrible if they lost all those relationships because of that?!

WAIT A MINUTE! why does Nagi get a whole bunch of different Pactios but Negi can only have one?! how does that make sense?
TnAdct1

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 7:32 pm Reply with quote
This is exactly the reason why (along with the the dumb idea of the film starting production 1.5 months before its release) I'm upset at this plot point: while it's possible that in the end all 31 students will become Negi's permanent partner, the idea of mind wiping everyone after all they've been through is pretty much an insult to every Negima fans on Earth.
AstroNerdBoy

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 8:04 pm Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:

Oh, that is BULLSHIT!!!

No, that's SHAFT. ^_~

Quote:
WAIT A MINUTE! why does Nagi get a whole bunch of different Pactios but Negi can only have one?! how does that make sense?

Its SHAFT; logic and common sense need not apply. ^_~
enurtsol

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 11:32 pm Reply with quote
Each TV series made changes, so what else is new? They simply cannot animate this series without making changes. Laughing

And even though Akamatsu acknowledges the changes, let's remind everyone that it's still NOT creator's intent! Razz
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 2:11 pm Reply with quote
nottimkai wrote:
DmonHiro wrote:

Oh, that is BULLSHIT!!!

I think they want to stop making anime of this series, so they need a legitimate END, and right here is a legitimate end, scripted by - or at least involving - Akamatsu. The latest chapter of the manga (I read scans and buy official) has a note at the end that states that after that specific point (chapter 335) the story splits between the manga and the movie. Who knows what will actually happen when the manga ends, Akamatsu has said that he has about 200 more chapters to it that he wants to do to complete the story. Personally, I think that a "B" ending to the series is an interesting idea, and look forward to someday seeing the movie.

DavidShallcross wrote:

**Potential Spoilers**

Evangeline does not have a Pactio with Negi, but I kinda wonder about Chachamaru, that is a good point. I have to assume that her memories from before Negi made the pactio would still hold true, since she had a master/servant contract with Evangeline, although there is no data yet on that. Setsuna has her pactio with Konoka, and is probably a special case. And Sayo existed just fine with no knowledge of magic before, although the idea of losing her friends because of that (her friends all know about her in relation to Negi's magic) is kinda heartbreaking. DID Sayo ever actually DO a pactio with Negi? She had a robot body created by Haruna's Artifact card (complete with 'Sayo Punch' and Vulcan Cannon that shot from her head) ... they were talking about it, I know, but I don't know if they ever actually did it ... they ran out of time in the manga plot, I think.

You make a lot of very good points. I know I'll be sad to see the anime half of Negima end, but for the reasons you mentioned I'm also looking forward to seeing the B Side.

Given the emphasis that there are changes to Akamatsu's original design, I wouldn't be so quick to say the stated rules, "When the Probationary Pactio ends, only one person must be chosen as the partner under the Permanent Pactio," and "The classmates who are not part of the Permanent Pactio will lose all their memories of magic the next morning," will necessarily transfer over to the manga. Even if they do, things are likely to turn out differently from the B Side or else why would Akamatsu point them out? Either way, I'm very excited for this film and am glad to hear he has an ending planned but at the same time that it's not close at hand.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1