• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Experimental Ad Lib Anime Kenkyūsho to Air in October

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 1:10 pm Reply with quote
The color of infinity inside an empty glass
I'm squinting my eye and turning off and on and on and off the light
Megiddo

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 1:12 pm Reply with quote
Hmmm... I don't know why I thought "Mad Lib" when I clicked the article. That probably wouldn't turn out as well.
Sakurazuka_Reika

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 1:19 pm Reply with quote
Hmmm, sounds like an interesting project Surprised
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 2:44 pm Reply with quote
Whose Line Is It Anyway? Laughing
Lightning Leo

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 6:15 pm Reply with quote
Shay Guy wrote:
The color of infinity inside an empty glass
I'm squinting my eye and turning off and on and on and off the light

Yeah! It's all gonna be in this experimental film. Laughing Homestar Runner/TMBG reference ftw.
Crystal

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 11:08 pm Reply with quote
Isn't this similar to how they make Home Movies and any Soup, Dr. Katz and any Soup2Nuts show? Not to mention Creature Comforts. I actually think this DOES sound like a cool idea, but there's a chance it might not work.

I also realize this series would be hard to dub in the future if it's improvised.

Do they STILL do voiceover after the animation in Japan? I thought it might have changed in recent years. I wonder how far they are into the animation--does this mean they've already recorded all the episodes?
reanimator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 12:59 am Reply with quote
Crystal wrote:
Do they STILL do voiceover after the animation in Japan? I thought it might have changed in recent years. I wonder how far they are into the animation--does this mean they've already recorded all the episodes?

Yep. it's a still common practice to voice-over after the animation. Dub first, then animate next is still rare. Just carefully watch the lip synch on your recent favorite titles.
yuna49

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 6:53 am Reply with quote
The last series I can recall where the animation took place after the dubbing sessions was Kure-nai. This approach enhanced the realism in the ensemble scenes; the actors would sometimes even speak on top of each other as happens in real life but rarely in anime. Episode three where Murasaki visits Shinkurou's school has some especially good examples.
MorwenLaicoriel

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 11:40 am Reply with quote
Well, I'll at least give this a try because I love Takahiro Sakurai. It should be fun to see where this goes!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
ninjamitsuki

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 6:51 pm Reply with quote
If this show were to ever get dubbed, I think it would be neat if they still ad libbed, but in the opposite order. The voice actors would watch the animation muted, and then they'd make up stuff that goes with the animation.

I think I read somewhere that Speed Racer was dubbed that way, but I'm probably wrong.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 10:55 pm Reply with quote
ninjamitsuki wrote:
If this show were to ever get dubbed, I think it would be neat if they still ad libbed, but in the opposite order. The voice actors would watch the animation muted, and then they'd make up stuff that goes with the animation.

I think I read somewhere that Speed Racer was dubbed that way, but I'm probably wrong.

That'd be Samurai Pizza Cats. Laughing
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1