• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - Rambling Men

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
_V_

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 8:01 pm Reply with quote
Yeah there's nothing good about Borders shutting down.

Just spur of the moment, I realized the copy of Devil Lady I got for $3 kind of renewed my interest in a few retro series from that era.

Not much going on in the news at the moment...
zawa113

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 8:17 pm Reply with quote
Uwah? Phi Brain is one of my more anticipated new shows of the season and for one reason: Junichi Sato
That's all I need to be willing to give the show a shot, Junichi Sato directing!
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 8:40 pm Reply with quote
Is This a Zombie is a pretty entertaining magical girl parody, although it is as much a harem comedy as a parody, although the magical girl elements are played to the ridiculous (i.e. chainsaw wielding and a male magical girl).
asimpson2006

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 8:51 pm Reply with quote
The hate about the changes for Star Wars is depressing. I mean it is a movie for god sake. I had actually had the Star Wars BD on pre-order but I ended up cancelling for money reasons which was good in a way because I had a huge manga order and everything shipped around that time. I do want to get it in the future, but now is a bad time due to some car problems I am having. I never disliked the prequel trilogy as I do not think those films are that bad. Are they as good as the OT? No, they are not but I still found them enjoyable to watch.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 9:23 pm Reply with quote
I think people are disappointed because they had too high of expectations considering that Trigun hasn't had any new animation in 13 years.

People tried to start a boycott for the third Transformers movie to try to kill Michael Bay's career. The movie made over a billion dollars. Fans on the internet who have similar interest get together, and come to the conclusion since they know a bunch of people than they must be a ton of other people who have a similiar opinion.

It happens with people who hate Final Fantasy, you get a ton of people who claim that the series has sucked since 7, and yet the series is still one of the most popular RPGS worldwide.

A ton of people who like U.C in America (and only U.C) think that it's going to save Gundam despite the fact that they haven't modernized the look outside of 08th MS Team so everyone has bad 80's hair. If you love K-on and Haruhi chances are your not going to be impressed by Audrey's massive hairdo that my mom has.

Thank god, someone has just stated that Gainax is an overrated studio. The mental gymnastics people go through to justify Gainax's bad writing is simply amazing.

I have a question for Zac and Justin, are you talking about both the Pretty Sammy OVA and TV series, or just the OVA? I thought the tv series (released here as Magical Project S) was really funny.

I think Zac and Justin are a lot more optimistic than I am about anime's future.

Last edited by Charred Knight on Fri Sep 16, 2011 9:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
neocloud9

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 9:29 pm Reply with quote
I'm so glad this podcast has been a success for y'all, I look forward to the new episodes every week!

I'm also glad to hear I'm not the only one skeeved out by Stu Levy's business practices... Harrumph.

P.S. Something that stuck out to me: Justin said the sidekick character in Un-Go is a "girly-looking boy" - really? That's a boy?! I totally thought he was a girl. ^^;;

Last edited by neocloud9 on Fri Sep 16, 2011 11:24 pm; edited 2 times in total
Yttrbio
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 9:30 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I'm sure we'll find Rigor Mortis-chan at some convention in another couple years.

Or sooner!
GhostShell

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 10:03 pm Reply with quote
Interesting to hear Zac's view of the DVD for Mardock Scramble: The First Compression. Troubling, though, is the statement that the English dub changed the pronunciation of Oeufcoque's name. It's really not that hard to say in it's proper form, and one wonder's why the dubbing studio would feel a need to alter it.

At the same time that Sentai Filmworks announced the release on DVD, they also announced a planned release in BD for 2012. One assumes the delay is due to the time frame that the Japanese BD version will be released and to help prevent reverse importation. I eagerly await Sentai's BD release next year.
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 10:32 pm Reply with quote
[fangirl rant]

Just a quick note about the Trigun movie, since I did write a review of it that was kinda backhanded praise, as Zac mentioned: I agree that it's a totally okay, passable movie, and also wholeheartedly agree that if you're a Trigun fan, you should buy it.

Buuuuut at the same time, I do understand why fans of Trigun could be disappointed with it. Badlands Rumble would be a perfectly fine kinda movie for a two or three year wait. It is a Jump movie, it's a little pocket episode with new characters and the main group as a side note, it's well-animated, and it's never really boring. But we didn't have a two or three year wait, we had a decade-long wait, basically, and when you wait that long...yeah, you kinda want to see something that develops or plays with the characters more, etc. I was okay with the movie, I found it entertaining, but yeah, of course I could have gotten more and kinda wanted more.

Did they do anything with Milly and Meryl? Nope, they serve no purpose in the movie. I think you could have written them out and nothing would have changed. Did they do anything with Wolfwood? ...Kiiiiiinda, but nothing you couldn't have used a totally generic assassin-for-hire character for. So I wouldn't say "you see plenty of your favorite characters," as they're relegated to standing around for fanservice or in Wolfwood's case, shootin' things, because they weren't really written into the plot. Anime hyper Example: episode 11 of Trigun, the one with the caravan, was one of the lower-end episodes, and it STILL did interesting things with all three of those characters over Vash. If it hadn't done that and just focused on the caravan-crisis characters, it would have been totally pointless, and Badlands Rumble kinda just focuses on the movie-only characters.

Zac doesn't notice this angle because he's not a fan, and he didn't care for the second half of the show, pretty much. As he mentioned, Vash saves a woman from getting raped in the movie, and he found that "dark for Trigun." Um...no, no that's not dark for Trigun at *all.* The show was that dark for the entire back half and several episodes in the first half. Anime hyper The weird depth and shades of gray that show explores in its second half is what the super-fans like, so yeah, we don't get any of that in the movie, we get a lot of fanservice. So I think that's why people were disappointed. I don't think we could *expect* much better than we got, but given the precedent the show set dramatically, there was a lot more than the silly donut-scarfing moments in some of the show's first half and none of that was mined for the movie.

I could also go into the terrible plothole in the movie's climax that, again, you would only notice if you were a fan of the TV series, but this post is long enough.

It's a decent Jump-action movie, and Trigun fans should own it, sure, but it's not everything a major fan would want from a movie. I think it suits casual fans better in that regard. ^^

[/fangirl rant]

Okay, that plothole. Guh. Erm, spoiler[Vash getting shot and falling into quicksand should not be a dramatic "oh no" moment, even a fake one. Vash gets shot in the chest on a weekly basis. He just pushes the bullets out because he's a Plant, not a human. That's one thing for the audience, but also: *Wolfwood knows this.* At this point in the series, he's working for Knives and is well aware of how indestructible Vash is. There were entire episodes where Vash is "mortally wounded," and Wolfwood punches him and tells him to quit faking, because he is. But it was dramatically convenient for him to think Vash was dead, so they wrote him that way, and it makes no sense. AGAIN, casual fans probably wouldn't remember that kinda nonsense, but if you really like the series, you'd be like "Well they just dragged out *ten minutes* trying a 'Oh no, Vash is injured/dead' thing that doesn't work."

And then they made it worse. He was saved by a tough hunk of Tomas meat in his pocket. It's a dumb cliche, fine, but come on, *he doesn't need* the dumb cliche. Again, episode after episode in the series: HIS BODY PUSHES BULLETS OUT and then scars over. We knew he was fine, and we didn't need a cliched excuse for it like a pocket meat-shield. It's not real friendly to the Trigun fan, it's more suited to people who know nothing about the character, actually, and just assume he's a normal human being, albeit a little crazy.

...Except they allude to Vash's agelessness in the movie too, so goddammit, pick an audience. Anime hyper]
ljaesch

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 10:44 pm Reply with quote
Another good show. Smile

That Space Travelers show just sounds... ummm... from what Justin said, it sounds like there's not really words to truly describe it.

Star Wars: My husband's wanting to get the big Blu-ray set for all the extras. Sadly, since we're about to head into school picture and school fundraiser hell, as well as needing to buy birthday presents for two of our kids who have birthdays in October, let's just say there's no money to get it now. Sad

The new ANN feature Justin was talking about for five of the shows in the upcoming anime season in Japan sounds great. I'll need to check those out as they're posted.

I'm glad to hear the podcast has been doing so well. Admittedly, I only started listening a few months back, but it's gotten to a point for me that my week just doesn't end right if I don't get a chance to hear a new ANNCast.

Sorry my post is a bit on the choppy side this week and not really going into any real depth, but I need to start slacking and get back to writing up a grocery list, so we'll actually have food around to eat this week.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
mannyperson

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 10:46 pm Reply with quote
Yup, I was one of those people who didn't particularly care for Trigun after the halfway point, but even to me the released clips have my interest piqued.

I don't really like it when the tone totally changes in anime--that usually marks the point where I lose interest. Another example: Fushigi Yugi
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 10:53 pm Reply with quote
(Terrible) Proposal for a future ANNCast with just Justin and Zac: Watch Qubo for an entire day and share your thoughts.

Children's television is best used for evil.

GhostShell wrote:
Interesting to hear Zac's view of the DVD for Mardock Scramble: The First Compression. Troubling, though, is the statement that the English dub changed the pronunciation of Oeufcoque's name. It's really not that hard to say in it's proper form, and one wonder's why the dubbing studio would feel a need to alter it.

I don't think that they changed it arbitrarily. Rather I think that they were trying to come closer to the French pronunciation, which this wiktionary entry suggests is somewhere near oaf-cock, well, at least about as close as an English speaker with be able to get, which is closer than a Japanese speaker usually will since Japanese don't allow closed syllables. A better pronunciation might have sounded like like erfcawk (my phonology is really creaky and rusty, but I think that's something like SAMPA /@`fkok/ and IPA /ɝfkɔk/) since the open-mid front rounded vowel generally sounds like shwa+r to English speaker.

I think that œufcoque means 'soft-boiled egg' in French, but I can't read French, so I'm not quite sure. Eggs seem to be a theme for the names in the series. Balot is a a fertilized duck embryo that is boiled alive and eaten in the shell and as for Doctor Easter, well, duh.

Last edited by Surrender Artist on Sat Sep 17, 2011 8:06 pm; edited 3 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
TitanXL

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 11:02 pm Reply with quote
I suppose I'm a terrible person because I really don't care about any changes to Star Wars. Or, gasp, I think they actually improve it (Inserting CGI Jabba into the first movie when he was originally played by a human... I'd say good edit/plothole fix) Only dumb one is Greedo Shooting First, but still.. not enough to kill the trilogy or anything.

Charred Knight wrote:
People tried to start a boycott for the third Transformers movie to try to kill Michael Bay's career. The movie made over a billion dollars. Fans on the internet who have similar interest get together, and come to the conclusion since they know a bunch of people than they must be a ton of other people who have a similiar opinion.

It happens with people who hate Final Fantasy, you get a ton of people who claim that the series has sucked since 7, and yet the series is still one of the most popular RPGS worldwide.

A ton of people who like U.C in America (and only U.C) think that it's going to save Gundam despite the fact that they haven't modernized the look outside of 08th MS Team so everyone has bad 80's hair. If you love K-on and Haruhi chances are your not going to be impressed by Audrey's massive hairdo that my mom has.

That's the wonderful thing about the internet. It lets people come together who have the same opinion and chat. The downside is it makes them feel more powerful and bigger than they really are, and that they actually have some kind of 'power'.

People who complain about the Star Wars changes are in the minority, no matter how many people you may hear complain about them.. Average Joe isn't going to care. For video games, as you said, people cry "FF13 was horrible and terrible and the worst FF ever", yet it sold almost 7 million copies... a lot more than that "best game ever" they like to tote. Anime fandom has it too, sadly.. you see a lot of people saying "No one likes Naruto anymore, it sucks and everyone moved onto better series" yet it's still atop selling manga. Funny that. Bleach too, apparently. [/url]
bemused Bohemian

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 11:37 pm Reply with quote
I got a chuckle over you two agreeing with the East of Eden movie 2 premise that OUR problems are the fault of the boomer generation. I recall feeling that way 40+ years ago toward those old fogies who ran the US economy road show plus the Vietnam War when military conscription was still the rage and I was 21. There seems to be a consistency about generational mistrust, blame, and whining not only in this country but also on the rest of this planet.

As far as new anime goes I would like to see another sequel to the Spice & Wolf lessons about macro- and micro-economics, only this time incorporating the revolutionary new strategems we're going to need to recover from the bursting of our 4 decade long government spending bubble.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 11:43 pm Reply with quote
JesuOtaku wrote:

Buuuuut at the same time, I do understand why fans of Trigun could be disappointed with it. Badlands Rumble would be a perfectly fine kinda movie for a two or three year wait. It is a Jump movie, it's a little pocket episode with new characters and the main group as a side note, it's well-animated, and it's never really boring. But we didn't have a two or three year wait, we had a decade-long wait, basically, and when you wait that long...yeah, you kinda want to see something that develops or plays with the characters more, etc. I was okay with the movie, I found it entertaining, but yeah, of course I could have gotten more and kinda wanted more.

Is that really the fault of the staff? Trigun was a finished project (unlike say Fullmetal Alchemist or Gundam 00), the only thing they can really do are either a self contained movie or Trigun Maximum, and the latter is a big investment. When you rate a movie I don't think you can include outside influences like that.

I mean you might as well rate movies based off of if you had a good day.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4