• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Man Arrested for Holding Woman Captive He Met at June Anime Con

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
malvarez1

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 3:31 pm Reply with quote
That man is sick. Wow. I hope that the lady gets over this horrible trauma.
TallonKarrde23

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 3:42 pm Reply with quote
That's terrible and all but why did she move in with him to begin with when they didn't even meet more than a few months ago? Or am I misreading all the news articles saying she did, on her own accord, move in to live with the guy?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
R-Sars

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 3:43 pm Reply with quote
met in June, moved in together in July... Uhhh.....
Emerje

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 3:47 pm Reply with quote
They guy was a nurses aid, I'd be investigating his work ethics, I'm thinking they'll find more things to charge him with.

What I'm still trying to get over is the "Sir" part. I'm guessing he legally changed his first name to Sir, the whole thing sounds made up.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Aura Ichadora

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 3:48 pm Reply with quote
This is a really disturbing case. And honestly, it really doesn't make the anime community look any better than I'm sure it does to the public, sadly enough.

I do hope, with time and therapy, the woman involved can get over the trauma she endured, but I know some wounds can be too deep to heal.

Emerje wrote:
What I'm still trying to get over is the "Sir" part. I'm guessing he legally changed his first name to Sir, the whole thing sounds made up.

I didn't understand that part either when I read the article earlier. I'd like to assume he had his name legally changed, as well.
Gamer_Girl

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 4:02 pm Reply with quote
I wonder what convention it was. I checked AnimeCons and it says there weren't any cons in IL in June.
Tomibiki

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 4:06 pm Reply with quote
Probably AX? This is some Rick James nonsense!
xstylus

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 4:09 pm Reply with quote
Hey "Sir," y'know those doujins and videos you bought from that shady guy in the back of the dealer hall? Some of that might not be good roleplay material.

Just sayin'.
CareyGrant

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 4:09 pm Reply with quote
I'm sure you and your new prison roomie, the 400 lb. gorilla named "Bubba" are gonna have some laughs! For the next 20 yrs. to life.

Oh, and get used to your new name, "Candy."

Sick bastard.
NewAgeNewtype

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 4:10 pm Reply with quote
Let's not waste time.

ITS HER FAULT SHE WAS ASKING FOR IT THE CON IS TO BLAME THEY WERE DOING METH AFTER ALL THUS WILL KILL THE ANIME INDUSTRY IF FOX'S NEWS FINDS OUT
Banden

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 4:11 pm Reply with quote
Aura Ichadora wrote:
This is a really disturbing case. And honestly, it really doesn't make the anime community look any better than I'm sure it does to the public, sadly enough.

There are crazy people in every hobby. I don't know about anyone else, but I'm more concerned about the Sun Times' questionably slanderous closing paragraph:

Quote:
One of the discussion panels at the convention addressed “the dysfunctional elements of the Otaku Subculture,” including male megafans who had trouble relating to women and acted out violently against them, according to the convention’s website.

Why are we validating such a terrible stereotype? Dysfunctional, sure, whatever, but on what grounds are they hinting that anime fans are any more likely to abduct and abuse women than anybody else? Can anyone name another incident besides this one? Makes me sick to see a newspaper slander a subculture that way.

Edit: Oh, and to the person who asked what convention it was, from the same article:

Quote:
Another picture she posted in June shows her posing in a video game character’s costume at the Anime Central convention for so-called “Otaku” or anime megafans in Chicago.
cche7

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 4:17 pm Reply with quote
WTF!!! He'd better get life imprisonment
streexanime

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 4:20 pm Reply with quote
My heart goes out for the girl. I hope this man gets what is coming to him as far as the justice department is concerned.
Crisha

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 4:22 pm Reply with quote
Sick [expletive]. I hope he gets locked away for a long while.

My condolences to the victim.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
MrHatandClogs

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 4:25 pm Reply with quote
Banden wrote:
Aura Ichadora wrote:

There are crazy people in every hobby. I don't know about anyone else, but I'm more concerned about the Sun Times' questionably slanderous closing paragraph:

Quote:
One of the discussion panels at the convention addressed “the dysfunctional elements of the Otaku Subculture,” including male megafans who had trouble relating to women and acted out violently against them, according to the convention’s website.

Why are we validating such a terrible stereotype? Dysfunctional, sure, whatever, but on what grounds are they hinting that anime fans are any more likely to abduct and abuse women than anybody else? Can anyone name another incident besides this one? Makes me sick to see a newspaper slander a subculture that way.

Edit: Oh, and to the person who asked what convention it was, from the same article:

Quote:
Another picture she posted in June shows her posing in a video game character’s costume at the Anime Central convention for so-called “Otaku” or anime megafans in Chicago.

It makes me sick that ANN would post this story, it just validates their claims even more. Just because they met at an anime convention has nothing to do with this guys mental problems or what he did to her. For all we know, he may not even watch anime etc., he just knew it was a good place to meet women. And for them to blame it of the fact that he may be an otaku is downright disgusting. I'm not excusing what he did at all, he's a sick bastard and should be put to death for this. But to act like it was because he partakes in otaku culture is a serious slap in the face.

So when an NFL player beats his wife/girlfriend is because he plays football? Ridiculous!

And what makes it even more ridiculous is that ANN was quick to run the story, it just makes themselves look bad.
We are here for Anime/Manga etc. news, not obvious slander to our culture!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7