• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! - Delicious Creme Filler

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
White Lightning Alchemist

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 9:38 pm Reply with quote
I saw a bootleg of Heroes (The live-action US show) at a thrift store that looked way nicer than my legit copy. Oh, and also, just because somethings $5 at a thrift store doesn't necessarily mean it's too good to be true. I've found legit InuYasha and Dragon Ball Kai boxes.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 9:51 pm Reply with quote
Man, that Naruto filler idea sounds worse than what they already do. I hate fanfiction with a passion, so seeing animated fanfiction would be annoying.

I like the filler personally (well, most of it.. the recent boat stuff is pretty bland considering the potential it has) but the Guren and Twelve Guardians was decent enough, and tied into the actual story (thus not making it filler, just anime-exclusive material) They even appear in the TCG which is nice. I love Guren's abilities.

But I do enjoy those one-shot episodes sometimes.. the one where Tenten is in charge of her own team and the one that shows what Neji is doing during the Invasion of the Sand are fun and interesting.
here-and-faraway

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 9:56 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I hate to say it, but NANA seems destined, outside of perhaps some divine intervention, to be another one of those sad casualties of a series that will never see a proper conclusion.

Hey Answerman. Maybe I'm reading too much into your reply, but it seems like you know something about Ai Yazawa's illness. All I can find is that she was released from the hospital in 2010. If you know more, and if it's appropriate, would you kindly post it?
Kazemon15

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 10:08 pm Reply with quote
Katekyo Hitman Reborn's filler arcs are actually considered canon by the author and add to the overall story and plot, so One Piece isn't the only one that have some good fillers.

I honestly don't mind fillers if they're at least entertaining, but sadly, most of Naruto and Bleach's fillers arent even remotely entertaining...
Lenks

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 10:23 pm Reply with quote
I can safely say that NANA probably won't end in 10 chapters. There are too many loose ends that need to be tied for it to end so abruptly.

With that said, I will be incredibly sad if one day NANA isn't finished. It's one of my favorite series of all time.

Quote:
I honestly don't mind fillers if they're at least entertaining, but sadly, most of Naruto and Bleach's fillers arent even remotely entertaining...

The "What's Under Kakashi's Mask" episode is gold.
Kazemon15

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 10:27 pm Reply with quote
Lenks wrote:

The "What's Under Kakashi's Mask" episode is gold.

Hench the "most" part. Razz
dizzon

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 10:32 pm Reply with quote
The picture of that Bleach box and discs, especially the clear plastic disc sleeves, scream Hong Kong bootleg. A buddy of mine works in an independent music/movie shop that will also buy and resell used CDs/DVDs/Blu-rays and he says at least a couple times a month someone tries to pawn off a Hong Kong pirate bootleg. He said you'd be surprised how many people don't even realize they have a bootleg, many people think they have a legit import.
toyNN

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 10:37 pm Reply with quote
Some filler episodes, can be pretty good - I think the ones for Gintama are usually very good.
Melanchthon

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 10:48 pm Reply with quote
I have been lucky enough to only have had one bootleg. I was hunting down some OOP DVDs (Vampire Princess Miyu) and came across a too-good-to-be-true offer on ebay for a complete series. And yes, it was. It was rips of the Tokyopop DVDs compressed all on to three DVDs instead of the original six, and the quality was worst than the fansub rips I already had. The business had an over 99% approval on ebay, but that goes to show you can't trust anyone. Lesson learned.

/I was browsing ebay a few months ago and was outraged to see bootlegs of shows not even licensed! That's just sick and evil. That person should be in jail for the public safety. Anyone that sells bootleg fansubs is capable of anything. Anything.
AnimeMaine

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 10:50 pm Reply with quote
A suggested Question of the Week, "What most annoys you about columnists?" Giving away endings without a spoiler alert. (Mr. Hanson, I have not yet seen Grave of the Fireflies.)
Errinundra

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 11:39 pm Reply with quote
I've had mixed experiences with bootlegs. At the time I wasn't aware that what I was ordering from SE Asia - none are licensed in Australia - were, in fact, bootlegs.

Haibane Renmei - the quality is superb - it's probably a rip. I love the series so much that if licensed product were available I would buy it. It came with a scratch on one of the discs so that some players struggle with it.

Serial Experiments Lain - ditto on all counts except the scratch; from the same bootleg organisation, FX.

Gauche the Cellist - the quality is acceptable but my current player doesn't like it. Not having the usual commercial securities I was able to rip it as an .avi file. (Odd that I can rip it but not play it.)

Koi Kaze - clearly a fansub, the quality was so-so and the subtitles often peculiar, even to the extent of changing the characters' names. I have since replaced it by importing the genuine product from America.

Nodame Cantabile - first two seasons - poor quality fansubs (especially the subtitles!), but what do you do when there's no alternative?

The lesson I learned, apart from the ethical issues, was that buying bootlegs was real hit and miss.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Tenchi

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 2:25 am Reply with quote
QOTW: If I had to pick just one opening or closing, I'd choose the second Kimagure Orange Road TV series ending, "Kanashii Heart wa Moete Iru Wa"/"My Sad Heart is Burning", which is a great, very 80's, song that reminds me a lot of the Eurhythmics, though what is also exceptional about the sequence is the chalkboard animation unlike anything else I've ever seen in anime.

My favourite OP, at least from the past decade, is Kamichu!'s, which also has a lovely song but which I also appreciate for the way they incorporate the credits into the artwork.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Asterisk-CGY

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 2:29 am Reply with quote
At this point, my rule for bootlegs is you don't pay for bootlegs. If I buy anything I buy authentic. Cause really that's the whole point.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 3:27 am Reply with quote
Hey Answerman, don't spoil Grave of the Fireflies!

As for bootlegs, since Sailor Moon is currently having a revival, do any of ya guys remember those E. Monsoon Sailor Moon bootlegs and SonMay CDs way back when? Laughing

Tenchi wrote:
QOTW: If I had to pick just one opening or closing, I'd choose the second Kimagure Orange Road TV series ending, "Kanashii Heart wa Moete Iru Wa"/"My Sad Heart is Burning", which is a great, very 80's, song that reminds me a lot of the Eurhythmics, though what is also exceptional about the sequence is the chalkboard animation unlike anything else I've ever seen in anime.

I kinda prefer the simplicity of the first KOR ED myself. Smile

As for strange OPs, how about that one-time Ep #24 OP of Maison Ikkoku....... It's like, that song came out of left field. Laughing

Or how about the original 4Kids OP of One Piece........... Wink

And back to Sailor Moon, I used to have a copy of all the different countries' local language OPs in place of "Moonlight Destiny".............
(But let's not mention Saban Moon OP! Although it was never actually done by Saban.......)
poonk

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 4:40 am Reply with quote
Bootlegs... ugh.

Almost always, when something is packaged in an "unusual" way (ex: doublewide plastic case with a booklet of soft DVD sleeves somehow tethered inside, and/or a back cover synopsis chock-full of engrish, misspellings, and/or obviously-copypasted text, for example), that should be a giant red flag. Though I luckily don't have any anime bootlegs (there but by the grace of God go I, only because back in the day as a new fan I bought exclusively through my brick 'n' mortar Best Buy), I do have 2 K-drama bootleg sets: Full House and My Name is Kim Sang Soon. At the time I was also new to Asian dramas, which of course I couldn't buy at my local BB and in fact none of which were legitimately available in R1 at all at the time (2004). Therefore, I didn't really know how they were "supposed" to look/be packaged/etc. and I didn't realize that I could do much better, translation- and price-wise*, via free fansubs.

The lessons learned through those few $20-30 bootleg boxsets has made my bootleg-spotting eye extremely keen and now, when I spot them in my local used-media stores, I just shake my head and keep on browsing...

*(No fears, anti-fansub-ers, I have no problem buying what I like if it gets a legit R1 release.)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3