• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Codename: Sailor V GN 1

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sailorsean

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 2:11 pm Reply with quote
I personally enjoyed this volume. While, I do admit with the reviewer that it does get better as the volume goes on. Since Minako was alone in her missions, it ended up being more of an action comedy rather then having the somewhat serious storyline of Sailor Moon. I had a few chuckles here and there especially the part where spoiler[Minako went to Greece instead of Hawaii] Also, I might have to add that the magazine that serialized Sailor V, Run-Run, intended to produce an OVA based on her however, they went bankrupt before it could happen, so Minako was relegated to the sidelines as one of Sailor Moon's costars, to Takeuchi's regret. Just think though, I think it would have been great to see an OVA of her. She really is one of my favorite guardians... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LfYOLBBRrgk http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8aJUuuJQIxk http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CVLdLF3IkZI
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 2:55 pm Reply with quote
Well,I read the "Codename:Sailor V" and it is interesting. One of the episodes got my particular attention. The one in which Mina wants to go on a trip to Hawaii. Sadly,she never gets there,because it would have been interesting to see how Ms. Takeuchi would have portrayed Hawaii. Although she did have a member of this Dark Agency's Hawaiian branch coming in to cause problems. It would have been nice to see how she would have portrayed this country in this manga.
Dessa

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 3:32 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Kodansha USA's translation is, by and large, superior to the Mixx/Tokyopop one.

Uh... what? How can it be superior to something that never existed in the first place?
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 4:02 pm Reply with quote
Dessa wrote:

Uh... what? How can it be superior to something that never existed in the first place?

Yeah, totally should've rephrased that to make it clear that I meant that it was superior to the old Sailor Moon editions. Wow, writing for the internet doesn't let you make any slip ups! I wish half the books I read had such good editors. Laughing
yamiangie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 11:09 pm Reply with quote
sailorsean wrote:
Also, I might have to add that the magazine that serialized Sailor V, Run-Run, intended to produce an OVA based on her however, they went bankrupt before it could happen, so Minako was relegated to the sidelines as one of Sailor Moon's costars, to Takeuchi's regret. Just think though, I think it would have been great to see an OVA of her.

As i was in the store debating wether to get Sailor V or Sailor Moon today I did realize it was odd that they never did a Sailor V OVA. I just figured despite doing a movie that Sailor moon wasn't popular enough for the OAV market.
Danette-Anime-Otaku

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 12:19 am Reply with quote
As a long time Sailor Moon fan I am so happy to get my hands on this. This has been looooong overdue. Not sure how it will appeal to those unfamiliar with the series though.
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 12:23 am Reply with quote
Quote:

CnSV was never released in English.
Sewingrose

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 1:38 am Reply with quote
Having picked up both Sailor V and Sailor Moon, and having never been exposed to anything Sailor Moon outside of pop-cultural osmosis before then, I do sort of like the Sailor Moon manga more.
Granted I have a feeling I'll pick up the other volume of Sailor V when it comes out, if only for completions sake.

Minako is a lot more sporty and likable a protagonist, but Sailor V has to much of an episodic feel to it that I can't really attach myself to it. While she's kicking bad-guys in the face while Usagi sort of stumbles through her first fights, I feel like Usagi is accomplishing more. I guess it's the presence of more Sailor Scouts and the more mythos-building feel that tips it in Sailor Moon's favor for me.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 4:04 am Reply with quote
Sailor V is to Sailor Moon as Kaito Kid is to Detective Conan: side-stories that are mostly fluff/episodic in comparison to the main series (yet both predate their respective mangaka's 'main' series and laid the groundwork for them, and more or less get assimilated into those stories as actual characters.)

That said, Minako was always my favorite of the girls. She was quirky, likable, and funny and I found her the most beautiful of the five.
Dessa

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 2:11 pm Reply with quote
TsukasaElkKite wrote:
Quote:

CnSV was never released in English.

Look up

Dessa wrote:
Quote:

Princess_Irene wrote:
Dessa wrote:

Yeah, totally should've rephrased that to make it clear that I meant that it was superior to the old Sailor Moon editions. Wow, writing for the internet doesn't let you make any slip ups! I wish half the books I read had such good editors. :lol:
Haterater

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 5:45 pm Reply with quote
I'm a fan of seeing works of things that turn into the "main" one, so I've been into it. And I like Venus, so I'm sure to enjoy it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1