• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Ace Attorney Live-Action Film's Cast Photo Published

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WatchforMoons7

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 5:12 pm Reply with quote
Very Happy I think that's suit's great!

"OBJECTION!" Let's do this.
MrTerrorist

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 7:55 pm Reply with quote
"OBJECTION!" I agree.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 9:14 pm Reply with quote
Well, he looks like Naruhodo, at least.

(I wonder if any American release/acknowledgment of this will still refer to them by their edited whitewashed names despite them being even more Japanese in this)
Haterater

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 11:18 pm Reply with quote
I see nothing wrong with using the English names, especially if they intend for the movie to be released.

Fun tidbit, the musicals uses the English names instead of the Japanese names for their acts. I thought that was pretty interesting for those Japanese musicals to use the English names.
Son-kun

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 12:17 pm Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
Well, he looks like Naruhodo, at least.

(I wonder if any American release/acknowledgment of this will still refer to them by their edited whitewashed names despite them being even more Japanese in this)

I think the best way to resolve that would be to simply retain the localized names for the English dubbing and marketing, and use the Japanese names (and puns) for the subtitled version, seeing as how the movie will be decidedly more Japanese than the games. Besides, it'll be a bit weird reading "Phoenix Wright" on the subtitles when clearly the characters will be saying "Naruhodo Ryuuichi".
TitanXL

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 2:26 pm Reply with quote
Haterater wrote:
I see nothing wrong with using the English names, especially if they intend for the movie to be released.

Well, other than the fact the subs won't match the dialog, I was never fond that Capcom decided to change everyone's name in the English version of the games. I'm always against them editing things in anime/games like name changes and stuff just to dumb it down for little kids who think Japanese is 'too hard' to pronounce or something.

Just seems after seeing how they handled Persona 4 and left in all the changed dialog/names from the game on the official subs, making people resort to fansubs, I wonder if they'd do the same here, where this is a much bigger editing job than Persona 4.

Assuming it ever gets released here, live-action versions are a lot rarer here than if it was an anime adaption.
Haterater

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 2:47 pm Reply with quote
Whoa, whoa, its not about editing down for little kids, since the games are rated Teen. Its more so that the comedy makes sense(mainly the puns and jokes) and reach a larger audience. Now I agree with some things like changing Maya's love of ramen to burgers didn't have to be changed, but everything else is fine. Alexander O. Smith did a wonderful job of branching the game out to make this a hit overseas and pave the way for more of game of this type.

I'm not familiar with Persona 4, though I guess overall, this is a situation of fans of the overseas games VS the Japanese version fans on wanting how they want things to be. It just depends how many of those fans really resorted to fansubs and if they ever even played the games and if they did, did they play the Japanese version and such.

If it was animated, it would have a higher chance, but since its live-action, chances are kind of low of brining it over, but if they did, they have to consider the market or even what company does bring it here.
Lightning Leo

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 3:42 pm Reply with quote
Hey, this looks to be shaping up pretty well, at least visually speaking. Looking forward to seeing the rest of the cast. Very Happy
TitanXL

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 5:44 pm Reply with quote
Haterater wrote:
Whoa, whoa, its not about editing down for little kids, since the games are rated Teen. Its more so that the comedy makes sense(mainly the puns and jokes) and reach a larger audience. Now I agree with some things like changing Maya's love of ramen to burgers didn't have to be changed, but everything else is fine. Alexander O. Smith did a wonderful job of branching the game out to make this a hit overseas and pave the way for more of game of this type.

I wouldn't really say this series is a hit, it's pretty niche all things considered, which is all the more reason not to edit things since I doubt it would have made a difference.. I just found it really facepalm worthy how they kept trying to have everything be American with their names and set in America, yet you have noodle stands, shrines, and the fact Mayoi always goes around dressed like an itako (I'm kind of surprised they didn't redraw her artwork like Persona did). It's no real different than what companies like 4kids do to weed out all the Japanese culture in a property. Anime companies do not do this, but some game companies are still far behind on the times, and Capcom is definitely notorious for botching up their properties (I remember when they renamed all the Rockman X bosses after famous singers like a plant robot after Guns n Roses, ouch) There's nothing really to gain from this practice.
Shenl742

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 6:39 pm Reply with quote
Well guess what, the games are still a whole lot of fun either way!
Haterater

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 7:01 pm Reply with quote
I would call it a good hit, seeing as they brought all the Phoenix Wright games over. Only thing they are iffy about is that Edgeworth 2 game, but its more of a spin off.

You keep comparing edits to the past. Atlus doesn't do that extreme of editing any more, and the only type of "edits" they do is mainly good localization choices to keep dialogue from being dry. NISA, XSEED, and others do this as well. I guess that's why I prefer game company translations to anime ones, as they sound much more natural and get the spirit of the work without it sounding weak, no sense, or just generic.

It depends on the work, but understand many of the localization choices. Maybe that's why Japanese games are fairing better than anime in the markets. Reaching wider audiences, making sure things sound natural and polish. Not to mention when your playing a game and you have to deal with puzzles and some are Japanese centric, they NEED to be changed. Many of the Layton and some instances in Phoenix Wright had to be changed so the player can solve them. Just leaving things be and not many players would get through that.

Then again, you have to consider different markets. Seems like your in it for the story more so than the actual game parts. Which I can understand for games that are story centered like RPGs. But item descriptions, too specific puzzles, original language structure messing up something for other languages to translate, etc those types need to be changed/localized/added hints and so forth.
rizuchan
Collector Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 4:08 pm Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
Well, other than the fact the subs won't match the dialog, I was never fond that Capcom decided to change everyone's name in the English version of the games. I'm always against them editing things in anime/games like name changes and stuff just to dumb it down for little kids who think Japanese is 'too hard' to pronounce or something.

As Haterater said it has nothing to do with little kids and not understandng. I understand that name changes are always a touchy subject in anime/games, since the days when they DID change names for that reason, but I personally think it's a different case when it comes to name puns. Every name in Phoenix Wright is a pun, and even though my Japanese is fairly good most of the Japanese name puns are way over my head. It's much better for the mainstream audience to come up with new names with equal jokes. But I know that until the end of anime there will be people that insist the names of even Pokemon remain the same.

On a more related note, am I the only one kind of nervous about having all kinds of special effects? Maybe it's a cultural thing but every time I see Japanese movies with a "realistic" setting (I'm meaning like a courtroom as opposed to deep space or something) that has crazy special effects it really destroys my suspension of disbelief.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Jedi Master

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 5:36 pm Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
I wouldn't really say this series is a hit

It is quite possibly the most well known point&click game on what may have been the most popular video game platform in the world at the time of its release. While those types of games may be niche, the Ace Attorney series likely qualifies as a "hit" within that niche. I for one believe the localisation team made the right choice in renaming the characters to preserve the light-hearted tone of the series for an English audience.

Regarding the article, the guy in the picture has awesome hair. Laughing

Edit: "qualities" --> "qualifies"

Last edited by Jedi Master on Sun Oct 23, 2011 6:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
TitanXL

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 6:24 pm Reply with quote
Haterater wrote:
You keep comparing edits to the past. Atlus doesn't do that extreme of editing any more, and the only type of "edits" they do is mainly good localization choices to keep dialogue from being dry. NISA, XSEED, and others do this as well. I guess that's why I prefer game company translations to anime ones, as they sound much more natural and get the spirit of the work without it sounding weak, no sense, or just generic.

I actually remember when XSEED got lampooned by nostalgic fans because their PSP translation of Lunar Silver Star Harmony would be a faithful translation rather than a heavily localized and jokey translation like the PSX translation by Working Designs. Shame XSEED got a lot of bashing for doing their job proper, especially after releasing the awesome Ys titles here.

rizuchan wrote:
As Haterater said it has nothing to do with little kids and not understandng. I understand that name changes are always a touchy subject in anime/games, since the days when they DID change names for that reason, but I personally think it's a different case when it comes to name puns. Every name in Phoenix Wright is a pun, and even though my Japanese is fairly good most of the Japanese name puns are way over my head. It's much better for the mainstream audience to come up with new names with equal jokes. But I know that until the end of anime there will be people that insist the names of even Pokemon remain the same.

Here's the thing though: just about every anime has puns in their names. Ichigo Kurosaki is a pun as well as Naruto Uzumaki. Uzumaki means spiral, and Naruto comes from the Naruto Whirlpools under the Onaruto Bridge (which is kind of an in-joke in the Zabuza Arc when they name the bridge after Naruto) All of which refers to Naruto's spiral-themed outfit, headband, and wind-techniques. Do you need to know any of this to enjoy Naruto? No. They do well enough without the need to change their name to get these puns across, like name his Spin Whirlmaster or whatever. Especially when, from what I've seen, the puns in the "Phoenix Wright" version doesn't even match the puns of the original version most of the time.. what exactly does Phoenix have to do with anything? Or Maya? Maya sounds like Mayoi, so I assume that's not a pun translation so much as 'dumbing' down a Japanese name to an American one, like 4Kids did with Takuto to Tobias, since they both start with T. Ryuichi was named after the famous musician Ryuichi Sakamoto that the creator liked. I don't see how that pun was kept. Is Phoenix a musician I don't know of, and if so, why not pick a more 'normal' named musician to name him after?

Pocket Monsters is another example. Satoshi is a pun only in the fact he's named after Satoshi Tajiri, the creator of Pokemon, and Shigeru, his rival, named after Shigeru Miyamoyo. Logically that should be kept, but now he's "Ash" which I don't even get. If you go by the dub's logic, then Ash should use entirely Fire Pokemon, but he does not. Also Capcom is the famous Rockman to Megaman, where he loses a pun, actually (Rock and Roll). So there's lot of evidence this more about "these weird Japanese names can't be pronounced by kids" rather than 'original meaning'.
Haterater

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 9:43 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I actually remember when XSEED got lampooned by nostalgic fans because their PSP translation of Lunar Silver Star Harmony would be a faithful translation rather than a heavily localized and jokey translation like the PSX translation by Working Designs. Shame XSEED got a lot of bashing for doing their job proper, especially after releasing the awesome Ys titles here.

In the end though, XSEED did compromise. Leaving some obvious things out while keeping some jokes and things to keep the title to not only please the older fanbase, but to keep it from being generic. I'm all for trying to keep RPGs to have some flavor in their localization/translation to help them be more memorable out there. Difference for Final Fantasy XII and Final Fantasy XIII is big on that, as FFXII's localization enhanced the story's presentation much better. Unlike FFXIII and with the way FFXIII-2's English screens, its looking to be a dry localization.

As for Phoenix Wright, what I heard is "He is right" for his full name. Which as you know, he always try to get the people he's helping innocent and he's right on taking down the opposition. Another one is Edgeworth. His Japanese name is closer to the saying of "double edge sword," I believe. So they went with Edgeworth for that, as it was close to that meaning of the name. And I'm sure there are other characters that fully takes advantage of the puns given them. Not sure for Maya's name, but that could just be a minor name change like with Etna's name for Disgaea. Etna's Japanese name is Etona, but Atlus just took out one letter, still mostly intact.

For both Ash and Gary, their names are technically in the Japanese names from what I gather from Bulbabedia, as Gary is derived from his original name as well. Gary also has the added pun in his English name for being related to a real Gary Oak tree which in turn his grandpa, Ash's last name used for the model of "Gotta Catch them all." Its not like they just grabbed some names from a hat and called it a day. Read their entries there and also many of other names to understand that there is care into naming. Couldn't tell ya for Mega Man though. That one seems a bit random. Laughing

They problem I'm having is that your just limiting yourself to "they dumb down for kids!" When other companies do it for many titles not for kids. Like 999 for the DS, which is a M-rated. Aksys changed the code names for the characters so that they would get the story and puns on that and did the best they can for some of the other puzzles that were hard to translate. Like I said for Professor Layton, those precise Japanese specific things are a must to change. Atlus is very good on their titles as well. Its about not catering to those who already have their foot in the water of learning Japanese words and specifics already. A title should be enjoyable, make it flow very well to the language they are translating it to, and do what they can with the restrictions they may have on the games. Such as titles that don't have enough room to translate the name in full, so up to them to make it work.

Another thing, 4Kids stopped doing the anime for Diamond and Pearl. PUSA translated Takuto to Tobias. Also, you have to consider most of those names are done by Nintendo's localization team. What's in the games, PUSA will use when they must. 4Kids did the same.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3