• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Tron: Legacy's Garrett Hedlund Is Frontrunner for Akira Lead

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fsunole90

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 3:49 pm Reply with quote
He's become the industry standard for futuristic bike riding movies
MatsVS

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 3:52 pm Reply with quote
..aaaand let the inevitable whitewashing begin!
Strike Freedom Meister

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 3:52 pm Reply with quote
This is not right. There's no reason to justify these changes. Akira should be made with Asian actors & kept in Neo Tokyo. This would be like making Superman in Russia or moving Sherlock Homes to Paris & making him French. It's insulting to the fans & will be very insulting to the Japanese too. I won't see it in it's current incarnation.
Lev

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 3:53 pm Reply with quote
If this goes through I'll be able to get at least one of my non-anime loving friends to come with me. She's creepily obsessed with Garrett Hedlund and I don't know why. Anime catgrin + sweatdrop
Keichitsu0305

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 3:55 pm Reply with quote
Yeah. I'm going to buy the manga now... >__>
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 4:01 pm Reply with quote
Dude's got some tannin' to do.
MagusGuardian

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 4:27 pm Reply with quote
why is everyone still saying they should do it as accurate to the source material as they can, it's freaking hollywood people they'll make whatever movie they [expletive] want and do it however the fudge they think it should be done. the only time they want something done 100% accurate to the source material is when they export an american made film to a different nation and demand they do a dub over in the native language instead of a remake. face it people ignore this abomination, buy the original on DVD or BD and just sit around the TV with your friends and watch that instead
bob_loblaw

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 4:30 pm Reply with quote
Garrett Hedlund must have been their 23rd choice

...after Harry Shum, Jr. and twenty-one other worthwhile Asian actors all passed on the role.
Mizuki-Takashima

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 9:02 pm Reply with quote
I don't really care if it takes place in "New Manhatten" (Even though it implies that, well, you know, "Americans can only relate to a movie it takes place in America." I wish Hollywood would stop insulting our intelligence with this kind of BS, and this is coming from an American!) but the white-washing?

This is my reaction: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yg2u_De8j5o
Eivion

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 10:39 pm Reply with quote
This is an adaption in the same vein the Magnificant Seven is of Seven Samurai or The Departed is of Infernal Affiars. Not reallly sure why there are complaints of white washing.
rinkwolf10

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 11:27 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I'm sure they weren't thinking about who best fits the film they are trying to make and that this one has bikes involved and the actor they want to get has been in many movies in which he road a bike and has experience with the Green Screen of which this film will have a lot off. On top of which the film they are trying to create will be having the same prerequisites that Tron did.

But, no, they were obviously thinking that they had to white wash this movie. That was their main objective.

Face it. They already stated it will not take place in Japan, so there is no reason for it to Feature Asian Characters. Not that it would be bad but hey I'm all for Jet Lee getting a part in this movie. But, I think he is a little to old to fit this kind of movie.
Gon*Gon

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 12:02 am Reply with quote
Eivion wrote:
This is an adaption in the same vein the Magnificant Seven is of Seven Samurai or The Departed is of Infernal Affiars. Not reallly sure why there are complaints of white washing.

Never seen either "Seven" films to judge, but...

The Departed was a vastly inferior film to the real movie....plus I was just as negative to this Departed crap when I first heard of it as well.

Either way. Whether it was trash or gold, "The Departed" is called "The Departed". Not "Infernal Affairs" or "Non-Stop Way".

Quote:
he road a bike and has experience with the Green Screen of which this film will have a lot off

I bet riding a motorcycle and working with a green screen must be REALLY difficult and amazing, and only a select few can possibly accomplish THAT feat. (not saying Headlund is a bad actor, never seen Tron, but those are hardly notable qualifications)

As a side note....I should really watch Tron some day...either the original or the remake. Apparently it's kinda famous.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 4:58 am Reply with quote
Eivion wrote:

Yeah, they should just cast African-Americans as the leads and hire Spike Lee to direct. Then all the white-washing complaints would stop. Laughing

As for those still insisting it take place in Tokyo: it's a remake!

Y'know the latest film by Hayao Miyazaki? The book that took place in Britain? Guess where Miyazaki set his remake? J-A-P-A-N

Are ya guys gonna march to Studio Ghibli and protest? Confused

If it's something unique to Neo-Tokyo, then it's understandable. But no, there are other cities and institutions that could resemble the post-WW3 dystopian environment of Neo-Tokyo.

Last edited by enurtsol on Fri Oct 21, 2011 5:12 am; edited 1 time in total
TheSwedishElf

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 5:11 am Reply with quote
Rinkwolf wrote:
They already stated it will not take place in Japan

Which is where it automatically failed. I swear, all these movie studios are becoming as bad as 4Kids. They're all like, "Oh noes, don't let the dummy American audience see Asian people or places, their heads may explode upon trying to comprehend the story if it doesn't involve white people and western locations!"
enurtsol

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 5:16 am Reply with quote
TheSwedishElf wrote:
Rinkwolf wrote:
They already stated it will not take place in Japan

Which is where it automatically failed. I swear, Hollywood's becoming as bad as 4Kids. "Oh noes, don't let the dummy American audience see Japanese things, their heads may explode upon trying to comprehend how such a country can exist!"

If they're making it as a budget film with hokey specialFX, then yeah, they could do that because they don't have to get as many paying customers to recoup the production cost.

But they're planning to make it a "tentpole" project with good specialFX budget, so they have to get as many Americans to pay for the movie's cost. And yes, there are many many many Americans who do not want to see "Japanese things." You're giving the American audience too much credit. This is the same audience who watch American TV shows that y'all hate so much, y'know. Razz

Last edited by enurtsol on Fri Oct 21, 2011 5:21 am; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3