• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 2nd Macross Frontier Film Sells 142,607 Blu-ray Discs

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:25 am Reply with quote
Its not really fair to count those as BD sales, since its people buying the video game with the BD coming along with it. Like Idolmaster 1st volume will likely sell about 100-150k, but thats just because its bundled with Idolmaster 2.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 12:46 pm Reply with quote
Nobody buys these Macross F bundles for the game.
JohnnySake

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 1:16 pm Reply with quote
Actually I bought a copy for both. Considering the odds of either making it over to here to the U.S. are slim to none. (with the smart money being on none)
Annf

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 2:31 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
Its not really fair to count those as BD sales, since its people buying the video game with the BD coming along with it. Like Idolmaster 1st volume will likely sell about 100-150k, but thats just because its bundled with Idolmaster 2.

Unlike Idolmaster, there's no separate non-game BD release for the Macross F movies. Both the special edition and normal edition BDs are PS3 discs.
naninanino

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 2:53 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:

Given what a cheap shot the movies are, I'd say those sell precisely because of the game. The movies themselves almost make the TTGL movies look good in comparison. It's half reimagination and half uses the same scenes from the anime. Truly cheap if you compare it to real remake movies like Do You Remember Love or something.
Panon

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 3:08 pm Reply with quote
naninanino wrote:
Megiddo wrote:

Given what a cheap shot the movies are, I'd say those sell precisely because of the game. The movies themselves almost make the TTGL movies look good in comparison. It's half reimagination and half uses the same scenes from the anime. Truly cheap if you compare it to real remake movies like Do You Remember Love or something.

I don't think you've actually watched the movies, because this isn't even remotely true.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 3:19 pm Reply with quote
naninanino wrote:
Megiddo wrote:

If anything is 'cheap', it's the game. From what I understand, the game that was bundled with the first movie didn't even have 2 hours worth of gameplay.

Y'all have to remember that Macross F was one of the best-selling TV anime ever. 65k copies of the first volume were sold alone. And buying a movie is a lot easier on the wallet than buying the TV series volumes.
The Nagabuchi

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 11:08 pm Reply with quote
naninanino wrote:
Megiddo wrote:

Ahahaha, I'm sorry, but obvious troll is obvious.
While the first movie was a recap of the first half of the series, the 2nd is 100% new footage and story, so I'd say you most likely have yet to watch it.

And to answer the question, the game is basically a freebie - its the PSP engine with new mecha models (nicely detailed) and HD textures but is a cross between a beta and a proof of concept. People are buying this for the movie because it was THAT popular (heck, even I saw it at the cinema 6 times).
Keep in mind that Mac F was one of the first anime series to come out on Blu - as such, many people whp bought it were early tech adopters who were using PS3 as bluray players. The game that comes with the movie is more of a thanks to them than anything else imo.
justafanime

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 11:59 pm Reply with quote
Probably, since its making a bunch. ya know.
Ryo Hazuki

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 9:08 am Reply with quote
naninanino wrote:

Actually, even though I like Gurren Lagann as a series more than Macross Frontier, at least the first Macross F movie is much better than the first TTGL movie. It felt much less recycled and it didn't a re-cap episode feel to it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1