• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
JAFAX 2003

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Events
View previous topic :: View next topic  
isaacada1

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2003 11:47 pm Reply with quote
ALLENDALE, MI – The eighth annual Japanese Animation, Film, and Art Festival (JAFAX – pronounced jay-fax) will be taking place on June 21st & 22nd, 2003 on the Allendale Campus of Grand Valley State University.
Hours will be 10 a.m. to 7 p.m. on Saturday, and 10a.m. to 6 p.m. on Sunday. Most of the event will be housed in Henry and Padnos Halls, as in previous years, but some events will be held in other locations around campus, due to expected attendance and size constraints of the current rooms. As always, admission is free and all ages are welcome.

The focus of JAFAX is to introduce the general public to Japanese culture through the use of popular entertainment media, namely anime and manga. At the same time, the event serves as a place for those
who are already fans to meet with others who share
similar interests.

For the existing fan, there will be several premiers of domestic anime titles shown throughout the course of the weekend, although no titles can be released at this time. For the attendee who is merely curious as to what this is all about there will screenings of both newer and classic anime titles to whet their appetite. All titles will be rated in terms of age-appropriateness, and there will be at least one “kid-friendly” title being shown at any given time.

In addition to showing a wide variety of anime on three theater-size screens and several smaller venues, JAFAX also brings in guests from the domestic side of anime and manga to speak with attendees about the
industry, the guest’s involvement in it, and how others might also become involved. This year’s returning guests are Doug Smith of IC Entertainment, Robert DeJesus of Studio Capsule, voice actress Amy Howard-Wilson, and fan artist James Dawsey, who will be joined by first-year guests Scott Frazier and Bruce Lewis. Much like last year, these guests will be participating in a variety of panels and activities
over the weekend, as well as being on hand to answer questions and sign autographs.

In addition to our guest panels, several game shows will be featured, including “Win the Dunce’s DVD’s”, “Anime Pictionary”, and the well-received “Let’s Make an Anime Deal” from last year’s closing ceremonies. Of course, JAFAX wouldn’t be complete without “Iron Man Otaku” and the costume contest, plus there are a few surprises planned, as always. If that isn’t enough to keep you busy, there will be several vendors of anime, manga, and Japanese import toys; an artist’s alley featuring fan and professional artists drawing in the anime style; and a martial arts demonstration.

For more information about JAFAX, please visit our website at: www.jafax.org, or send an e-mail with your questions to: [email protected].
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Events All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1