• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Digital Love

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 9:14 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Demon City Shinjuku is mostly interesting for historical reasons; I think everyone watched it back in the day. I'm fairly sure I rented the VHS from my local video store circa 1998, but on re-watching it, I didn't remember a single thing about it.

Just like the movie it made a cameo in, Johnny Mnemonic. Laughing

Quote:
It's easy to confuse DCS with its more memorable cousin Wicked City, which features unforgettably overt rape scenes.

Well, they're written by the same author. But Wicked City is still the superior film of the two.

Quote:
Watching Interstella in 2011, it strikes me that the evil record executive plotline feels incredibly dated.

Well, the style's going for a retro throwback, anyway, so...
ss-hikaru

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 9:25 am Reply with quote
Oh yes Samurai Champloo is many forms of awesome. It was one of the first legit releases I ever bought too. I was happy with the ending, spoiler[Fuu didn't need to end up with either of them or even both of them (as in continuing travelling with them)] It would probably look totally awesome on Blu-Ray but unfortunately I'm not a double dipper. If only I had held out on buying the DVD...except I never would have, Samurai Champloo isn't the kind of think I could put off purchasing (plus when I bought it was Blu-Ray even around...? I DID get into the series pretty late. Only a couple of years ago).
Keichitsu0305

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 9:39 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Daniel Andrews (Steve Blum?) is even more perfect as Mugen

It's 'credited' to Daniel Andrews (who may be an alias) but, obviously, Steve did the voice.
Brand

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:04 am Reply with quote
It's really sad that INTERSTELLA 5555 has a bad transfer. I really enjoyed that movie. Yeah, it's cheesy but it's a good time. I think it would be fun to watch with a large group of friends.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Gasero

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:38 am Reply with quote
Steve Blum is definitely Mugen

I should go back and watch Samurai Champloo soon. It was the last series I collected as the DVDs were coming out. Like you said, DVDs were expensive and $20-30 for 3-4 episodes per disc for a show with 7 discs is a lot over time. I was lucky to find most of the discs at lower than $30, which was the retail price at the time.

I do love that I have the collection. There are some great episodes and great moments. One of my favorite moments is in the first few minutes where if you first see the subtlety of the messages in the show. Jin is attacked and as he begins to battle his hat flies up. He kills his attackers and the screen zooms in on the hat falling to the ground. He killed them at the drop of a hat.

One of the best things about the show is that Mugen and Jin are not all powerful. They will be challenged and they can lose in a fair fight. There are no power levels or ultimate techniques. Yeah, thinking about it is making me want to watch again.

There are some episodes that were complete filler. Didn't like those, especially for a 26 episode series. That should not happen.
j Talbain

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:40 am Reply with quote
It's sad to hear that INTERSTELLA 5555 got a bad transfer. The movie is not the best but really it's about the music. And that movie has one of the best DTS sound mix's I've ever heard. I don't think I'll double dip into this one.
Generic #757858

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:53 am Reply with quote
I never got how people see some kind of a love triangle happening in Samurai Champloo. Sure, Fuu is kinda crushing on both of the guys, but there's never any evidence that either of them see her as anything more than a friend. I mean, they both have other love interests (as does Fuu) during the course of the series and let's not forget that they both readily ditched her so they could visit the red lighst district or try to woo that blind songstress.
lem

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:54 am Reply with quote
ss-hikaru wrote:
It would probably look totally awesome on Blu-Ray but unfortunately I'm not a double dipper

I think you'd want to double dip just for the improved sound quality. At least if you have an audio system that'll make the most of what the respective blu-ray has to offer. I've learned the expensive way that the quality of a given blu-ray can vary, it's dependent on any number of things, e.g., the original source material, etc., (the old "you can't squeeze blood from a turnip" applies)

I like it when I can learn about what the original artists thought about their work, what they were trying to convey, blah blah, blah blah, and all that good stuff, so for those that came to the party late, only bought a complete set of the series, or only the blu, then you missed out on all of the brief text insert interviews that were included in the Region 1 (Geneon) dvd singles releases. It's the sorta thing that made a title "shelf worthy" well at least before the era where streaming killed the shelf stars and made them all but obsolete . Shocked
lem

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:59 am Reply with quote
Generic #757858 wrote:
I never got how people see some kind of a love triangle happening in Samurai Champloo. Sure, Fuu is kinda crushing on both of the guys, but there's never any evidence that either of them see her as anything more than a friend. I mean, they both have other love interests (as does Fuu) during the course of the series and let's not forget that they both readily ditched her so they could visit the red lighst district or try to woo that blind songstress.

me either, I always thought it was ultimately about the friendship they shared, especially with its conclusion. Overall, it was a great road trip.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 11:00 am Reply with quote
I thought we weren't allowed to "out" voice actors under different names. They could get in trouble. Or something. I never got it, myself. It's clearly Steven Blum.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Chrno2

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 11:15 am Reply with quote
See that's just DAMN wrong. I understand that Interstellar 5555 is a old film but it deserves a decent transfer if going BD. Because what's the purpose of putting it on BD in the first place.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 11:37 am Reply with quote
Chrno2 wrote:
I understand that Interstellar 5555 is a old film.

Just curious, do you refer to Chrno Crusade as an 'old show'?

Cause it's actually older than 5555.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 11:43 am Reply with quote
Shamploo wouldn't be the first SD production to be up-coverted to HD simply to put it on a BD for the sales hype. Hell more than 50% of early BD that weren't originally films were done that way, just to get a supply of content for them new fangled blue ray thangy's else no one would want to buy one if you couldn't get anything apart from a movie, or the odd new TV series rich enough to be shot on 1080i and that one cared about owning at BD prices. Wink
Umino

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 1:05 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
Shamploo wouldn't be the first SD production to be up-coverted to HD simply to put it on a BD for the sales hype.

Very true.

I'm glad that FUNi started to put on their BD info on their back covers whether it was an SD upscale or native HD.
_Emi_

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 1:15 pm Reply with quote
lem wrote:
I like it when I can learn about what the original artists thought about their work, what they were trying to convey, blah blah, blah blah, and all that good stuff, so for those that came to the party late, only bought a complete set of the series, or only the blu, then you missed out on all of the brief text insert interviews that were included in the Region 1 (Geneon) dvd singles releases. It's the sorta thing that made a title "shelf worthy" well at least before the era where streaming killed the shelf stars and made them all but obsolete . Shocked

This is what I really miss from the singles days. More than the chipboard boxes, I wish FUNimation would start putting in booklets as they used to do. The Fruits Basket collecter's set comes with one, but that's it. Rightstuf, on the other hand, is awesome with this. Almost all of their releases have a booklet. The Emma and Aria booklets are amazing, and in Aria's case, in color after the first one. One of the best things about ADV's Area 88 TV release was all the video interviews they had with the staff and cast.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3