Forum - View topic
Birdy the Mighty Decode Season 2 OAV flaw


Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Aoi_Sakaraba



Joined: 12 Aug 2003
Posts: 312
Location: Des Moines, Iowa
PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 1:46 pm Reply with quote
somebody has the birdy the mighty decode season 2 prologue "the cipher" as 2 dvd episode entries (as prologue and "between you and me"), and not only that but they have the "cipher" oav as an entry too, which is the SAME DVD EPISODE.

So technically we got a "Triple Entry" here.

We need to remove the OAV "the cipher", and episode 13 "Between you and me", because they are redundant to the prologue which does come with the actual series dvd.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime
braves



Joined: 29 Dec 2007
Posts: 2306
Location: Puerto Rico (but living in Texas)
PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 3:49 pm Reply with quote
I think the OVA entry should be kept as it is and the two episode entries on each season should be hidden. Originally, the Cipher came with the Japanese release of season 2. (Eh that's incorrect, see below) Honestly, I'm not too clear on the encyclopedia's policy of DVD-only episodes that are related to TV series. In this case, the chronological order of the episode in question is before the second season, but after the 1st.

Last edited by braves on Sat Nov 12, 2011 10:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Calathan
SubscriberSubscriber


Joined: 27 Aug 2005
Posts: 6372
PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 10:05 pm Reply with quote
As I wrote in my error report here, the first "prologue" entry on the Birdy the Mighty Decode: 02 page is not the OAV. Instead, it is a pre-airing special that aired on TV before the start of the season (my understanding is that it was a recap of the first season, but I haven't seen it). The names "鉄腕バーディー DECODE:02 ~プロローグ~" and "tetsuwan baadeii DECODE:02 ~ purorougu ~" go with that special. Notice also that the date listed by that episode is from before the second season started airing, but the Cipher OAV was released after the series aired. The reason I made that error report is that someone has attached the English name "Prologue" to that special, citing Funimation's release of the OAV. For some unknown reason, Funimation has labeled the OAV as "Prologue", but it is not the same thing as the pre-release special that was called "prologue" in katakana. So basically, Funimation's labeling of the OAV as "Prologue" has caused it to be confused with the different thing that was called "prologue" in Japan. That first entry should remain, but the English name should be removed. I don't think that special has had an English release.

I also made an error report for the the "Between You and Me" episode here. That entry is for the OAV, and is redundant with the encylopedia page here. As I say in the error report, I think the separate entry should remain for the OAV. It is set after the first season and before the second season, without really being a part of the plot of either season. Furthermore, while Funimation released it with the second season in the U.S., I'm pretty sure it was released separately from the TV series in Japan (see for instance this Amazon.com page). I think the "Between You and Me" entry should be removed from the Decode:02 episode listing, and the separate encyclopedia page for the OAV should remain.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor


Joined: 08 Dec 2003
Posts: 9875
Location: New Taipei City, Taiwan, ROC
PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 3:20 am Reply with quote
The FUNimation complete series "Contains episodes 1-26." We know that Decode has 13 and Decode:02 has 12 episodes aired, respectively, so there's one more episode.

The Cipher, released four months after Decode:02 had finished broadcasting, contains the following material:

【収録内容】(Contents included:)
・TV未放送オリジナルエピソード (Unaired original episode)
・第1期、第2期のノンクレジットOP&ED (Credit-free OP & ED of the 1st and the 2nd series)
・第2期特番 (Special [promotional] episode of the 2nd series)

I believe that "unaired original episode" is the episode 13 "Between You and Me" on the episode title page, while the

The problem is that I don't have an official confirmation on which episode FUNi's collection has (FUNi's website is not accessible outside North America; I'd rather not play with proxies unless absolutely necessary), although that "prologue" aired in Japan on the last day of 2008 is very unlikely, as it was more like a promotional special with introduction and comments, rather than a story-wise anime episode.

Japanese Wikipedia wrote:
番組内容は、つとむのモノローグが入った第1期『鉄腕バーディー DECODE』のダイジェスト、『鉄腕バーディー DECODE:02』の紹介、赤根和樹・りょーちも・千葉紗子・入野自由のコメントなど。

Therefore, I'd like to simply remove that "Prologue" on the episode list page and move that "13. Between You And Me" to #13266 (The Cipher). Thoughts?


braves wrote:
Honestly, I'm not too clear on the encyclopedia's policy of DVD-only episodes that are related to TV series. In this case, the chronological order of the episode in question is before the second season, but after the 1st.

As far as I know, Japanese sources have listed Decode and Decode:02 with 13 and 12 episodes, respectively, and I have yet seen any source have The Cipher (or "Between You And Me") counted as part of Decode:02. If we go after FUNimation then there's no need for Decode:02 at all: everything will be under #9287 with a big happy family of 26 episodes. Rolling Eyes
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Calathan
SubscriberSubscriber


Joined: 27 Aug 2005
Posts: 6372
PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 10:13 am Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
Therefore, I'd like to simply remove that "Prologue" on the episode list page and move that "13. Between You And Me" to #13266 (The Cipher). Thoughts?


That sounds right to me. I watched Birdy the Mighty: Decode streaming, so I haven't bought the DVD set, but the additional episode Funimation streamed was definitely The Cipher. They haven't streamed the promotional special, so I assume they haven't licenesed it.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor


Joined: 25 Oct 2003
Posts: 7418
Location: Wales
PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 8:11 am Reply with quote
I'll preface this with the fact that I've had a splitting headache for the last few days so am liable to make stupid mistakes.

FUNimation's video site lists the episodes sequentially as follows:

Episode 1 One Plus One
Episode 2 The Partnered One
Episode 3 View of Life
Episode 4 A Stranger from Earth
Episode 5 Another World
Episode 6 Both of Us
Episode 7 Night Walker
Episode 8 Ghost Village
Episode 9 The Champion of Justice
Episode 10 You're the One
Episode 11 Bye Bye Buddy
Episode 12 Doomsday
Episode 13 Stand by Me
Episode 14 Prologue - Between You and Me
Episode 15 After All
Episode 16 Simple Twist of Fate
Episode 17 Somewhere in Time
Episode 18 Tears are Not Enough
Episode 19 Before It's Too Late
Episode 20 A Prisoner of the Past
Episode 21 We Will Meet Again
Episode 22 Falling in Love with Love
Episode 23 Space, Time, and You
Episode 24 It Never Entered My Mind
Episode 25 Both Sides Now
Episode 26 Before Long

Their second season DVD contains "episodes 14-26".

Their Youtube channel list it both as episode 13.5 (for the subbed version) and 14 (for the dub), but under the first season rather than the second.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor


Joined: 08 Dec 2003
Posts: 9875
Location: New Taipei City, Taiwan, ROC
PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 12:17 pm Reply with quote
Shiroi Hane wrote:
Their Youtube channel list it both as episode 13.5 (for the subbed version) and 14 (for the dub), but under the first season rather than the second.

"The uploader has not made this video available in your country."

I'll leave it to you guys.

(facepalm)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Aoi_Sakaraba



Joined: 12 Aug 2003
Posts: 312
Location: Des Moines, Iowa
PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 9:59 pm Reply with quote
The Cipher, prologue, and "Between you and me" are the SAME THING.

I know this series in and out. It is one of my favorites.
Try downloading them all, they are all the same. Someone really doesn't know where to find valid information.

It was a DVD episode, not an OAV. So it goes right before episode one of season 2. It takes place between season 1 and 2.

Even the wiki article says they are the same.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Birdy_the_Mighty:_Decode_episodes#Birdy_the_Mighty:_Decode

FUNIMATION IS WRONG. They messed up and made the dvd special "episode 13"

Never trust the dubbing company.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime
Calathan
SubscriberSubscriber


Joined: 27 Aug 2005
Posts: 6372
PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 12:39 am Reply with quote
Aoi_Sakaraba wrote:
The Cipher, prologue, and "Between you and me" are the SAME THING.

I know this series in and out. It is one of my favorites.
Try downloading them all, they are all the same. Someone really doesn't know where to find valid information.

It was a DVD episode, not an OAV. So it goes right before episode one of season 2. It takes place between season 1 and 2.

Even the wiki article says they are the same.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Birdy_the_Mighty:_Decode_episodes#Birdy_the_Mighty:_Decode

FUNIMATION IS WRONG. They messed up and made the dvd special "episode 13"

Never trust the dubbing company.


No, I am confident you are wrong.

I also noticed that the Wikipedia page you referred to was edited to agree with what you were saying within minutes of your post here (after not being edited for months before that). I don't see any way to interpret this other than that you are referring to Wikipedia as a source for the information while also editing it from disagreeing with you to agreeing with you. That is clearly not something that should be acceptable. Also, that shows why Wikipedia should not be used as a source for information on ANN (and note that I've edited the Wikipedia page back to saying it is an OAV . . . anyone can edit the Wikipedia page to support their position, so it can't be used as a source).

But about me saying you are wrong, the thing that was labeled in Japanese as a "prologue" is not the same thing as the unaired episode "Between You and Me". As I explained in one of my error reports, the thing that aired on TV before the series started was labeled as a "prologue" in Japanese. It clearly can't be the same thing as the unaired episode, since it did air on TV. As dormcat has pointed out, both the unaired original episode and the special that aired before the second season are included the DVD called Birdy the Might Decode: The Cipher. That means that "Between You and Me" and The Cipher technically aren't the same thing, as while "Between You and Me" and is the only new episode on The Cipher, the DVD of The Cipher did contain some other content.

Anyway, I think that my link in a previous post to an Amazon.com page selling The Cipher is proof that it was sold as a single DVD and not bundled with the TV series in Japan. I stand by my position that it should have its own page in the encyclopedia since it was sold as a stand-alone item and since the plot of the episode is between the two seasons and not really part of the plot of either season. I think the episode title of "Between You and Me" should be moved to the page for The Cipher just like Dormcat suggests. For the episode currently labeled as "Prologue" that I submitted an error report for, I think the English title of "Prologue" should be removed, since Funimation inexplicably has refered to the episode "Between You and Me" as "Prologue" (though they do also refer to it as "Between You and Me"). I'm not exactly sure if what content that pre-release special contained so if it was just talking about the series it maybe should be removed from the episode listing outright. If it was an actual recap episode, then probably it should stay listed. Regardless, it definitely is not the same thing as "Between You and Me".
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime
Aoi_Sakaraba



Joined: 12 Aug 2003
Posts: 312
Location: Des Moines, Iowa
PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 9:25 am Reply with quote
You obliviously have not watched birdy the mighty decode.

they are the same thing. I will never change my answer because I know I'm correct. If what you are saying "is correct", they probably released it later on DVD for more money.

Have you even tried watching them yet? I think not.

This is the prologue
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AtxRCYX4IPU
While if you go you A'nilinks and look up cipher, they have the cipher and link it directly to the youtube video for prologue. This same youtube video.

I have still not seen the concrete proof that the prologue and the cipher are not the same. They are the same, I know I'm correct. If they were two separate things I would know, because this is one of my favorite series and I would have googled the hell out of it to find it. But they are always THE SAME.


-Ignorance is not bliss, and arrogance is the epidemy of all evil.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime
Aoi_Sakaraba



Joined: 12 Aug 2003
Posts: 312
Location: Des Moines, Iowa
PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 10:02 am Reply with quote
Photobucket[/img]

More Proof?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime
Calathan
SubscriberSubscriber


Joined: 27 Aug 2005
Posts: 6372
PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 6:25 pm Reply with quote
Aoi_Sakaraba wrote:
You obliviously have not watched birdy the mighty decode.

they are the same thing. I will never change my answer because I know I'm correct. If what you are saying "is correct", they probably released it later on DVD for more money.

Have you even tried watching them yet? I think not.

This is the prologue
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AtxRCYX4IPU
While if you go you A'nilinks and look up cipher, they have the cipher and link it directly to the youtube video for prologue. This same youtube video.

I have still not seen the concrete proof that the prologue and the cipher are not the same. They are the same, I know I'm correct. If they were two separate things I would know, because this is one of my favorite series and I would have googled the hell out of it to find it. But they are always THE SAME.


-Ignorance is not bliss, and arrogance is the epidemy of all evil.


Aoi Sakaraba, you said yourself that you should never trust the English licensor. As I have said many times now, Funimation has labeled the episode "Between You and Me" as "Prologue", but the thing that was called "Prologue" in Japanese is not the same thing. What you are linking to does not in any way contradict what I have said, so I don't understand why you think it is evidence that your position is right and mine is wrong. And also, as I've already stated in this topic, I watched all of Birdy the Might:Decode streaming, except for the pre-airing special that hasn't been released in the U.S. The reason I know Funimation labeled the episode Between You and Me as a "Prologue" is from watching it on the exact Youtube page you link to.

As Dormcat has stated above, both the pre-airing special and the unaired episode "Between You and Me" were included on The Cipher DVD. They are not the same thing, or they would not be listed as two separate things for the DVD. If you need another source, check the source given for the name "tetsuwan baadeii DECODE:02 ~ purorougu ~' on the Decode:02 episode list. That clearly lists something called a "prologue" in katakana as having aired on TV before the first airing of the second season. I think you yourself know that the episode "Between You and Me" was an unaired episode, meaning it can't be the same thing that aired on TV. If you need yet another source, check out the anidb.net page for Birdy Decode:02, which lists a pre-airing special in the specials section of the episode list, even though though anidb also has a separate page for The Cipher, listing Between You and Me there.

If you want one more source, the best source I can find that the unaired episode and the pre-release special are separate things is the official site for Birdy the Might Decode. On the page for The Cipher, it lists the contents of the DVD, and lists both an unaired episode and something called 鉄腕バーディー DECODE:02 ~プロローグ~ as separate things. The later thing has "prologue" written in katakana and has exactly the same Japanese name as is given for the thing called "prologue" in our episode listing. Since the offical site lists them as two different things, that is absolute, conclusive proof that they are two different things.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime
Aoi_Sakaraba



Joined: 12 Aug 2003
Posts: 312
Location: Des Moines, Iowa
PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 7:13 pm Reply with quote
I swear you are some sort of troll. I still see no solid evidence from your rants.
These pages you posted still do not prove me wrong. They most likely re-bundled the prologue episode into a separate OAV. and if it started as a preairing episode it doesn't count as an oav, but a dvd episode. It counted as what it started out as. For example Girl's Bravo is 1 24 episode series because how it aired, although some argue and say its really 2 12 episode series.

None of your research seems to be relevant enough to vandalize birdy the mighty decode like you did.

It was correct the way it was, because the OAV you falsely listed IS the prologue.

sure you can try to say a few things, and make a few very long paragraphs out of it, but it still doesn't show you with any "credibility".

You will only be valid if and only if you provide actual video evidence, instead of a few numbers on a list from a japanese site.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime
Aoi_Sakaraba



Joined: 12 Aug 2003
Posts: 312
Location: Des Moines, Iowa
PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 8:08 pm Reply with quote
This page if translated correct not using google translator, or even worse babel fish says it is the prologue. It basically said its the episode between season 1 and 2 and even labeled it as the prologue.
This is from the official birdy the mighty decode website.

http://www.birdy-tv.com/dvdcd/dvd_cipher.html
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime
Calathan
SubscriberSubscriber


Joined: 27 Aug 2005
Posts: 6372
PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 8:21 pm Reply with quote
Aoi Sakaraba, the official site clearly lists The Cipher DVD as containing both an original episode and something else that has "prologue" written in katakana in its name. It is absolutely unambiguous that they are two separate things. Furthermore, the unaired episode, being specifically designated as unaired, simply cannot be what aired before the second season started. If you won't believe the official site, then I don't know how I can convince you.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group