• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Highlander Anime Teaser

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Isaaru

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 11:59 am Reply with quote
They got the right guy to do it. As a Highlander fan, i am pretty juiced.
DKL

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 12:10 pm Reply with quote
YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!

MADHOUSE is gonna kick a lot of ass

also, doesn't the movie come out spring of 2006?
kusanagi-sama

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 12:28 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I think they meant 2006.

It would be kinda hard for a movie that is being produced now to be released two years ago.

As for another thing, I don't think I've ever seen any part of the Highlander franchise.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Chrno2

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 1:01 pm Reply with quote
Interesting! Shocked

So Kawajiri is doing it? I couldn't agree more. Though I'm not a 'Highlander' fan I've seen maybe a few of the series and one movie. I can look forward to this.

I'm sure by now the staff will correct that little error since we already passed Spring 2003. Laughing

Last edited by Chrno2 on Mon Jun 13, 2005 8:01 am; edited 1 time in total
Emerje

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 1:53 pm Reply with quote
Hope the story is good, because the animation just looks like Ninja Scroll set in the future. Don't get me wrong, I like Ninja Scroll, but I really don't see Highlander in that preview. Fighting robots? What? I like Highlander better when it's in a modern or past setting and they're trying to blend in with regular people. I really hope that's just something they've thrown together as a preview and not actual animation from the movie.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Proman

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 2:48 pm Reply with quote
I actually agree with that. Also does anyone know what happening with "Ninja Scroll 2"? Is Yoshiaki Kawajiri still working on it?
xjaymanx

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 2:49 pm Reply with quote
well it can't be any worse that the bad 1994 "Highlander: The Animated Series" http://us.imdb.com/title/tt0147773/, right?
ZODDGUTS

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 3:40 pm Reply with quote
Woah looks interesting. Shocked
Flipnofunk

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 8:27 pm Reply with quote
xjaymanx wrote:
well it can't be any worse that the bad 1994 "Highlander: The Animated Series" http://us.imdb.com/title/tt0147773/, right?

i was reading the description and i wonder how does servered heads have to do "family" cartoons Laughing

anyways i wouldn't mind seeing it (i liked vampire hunter D bloodlust) but it's not something that im really waiting for.
Emerje

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 8:47 pm Reply with quote
xjaymanx wrote:

I actually used to watch that TV series when it was on TV. It was "ok" but characters rarely bled , let alone getting their heads lopped off, and it was in a futuristic setting so it really didn't feel like Highlander. The only thing that really seemed to link it to Highlander was Ramirez and the kid being a MacLeod.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Grico

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 8:53 pm Reply with quote
well it looks nothing like highlander and has ZERO swordfights or decapitation in the trailer. The animation looks very generically Ninja Scroll-y. I'll reserve judgment for now but am not very optimistic.
Laruto

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 10:10 pm Reply with quote
It looks cool, but it kinda looks(Animation wise) like I'm looking at a trailer for Fist of the north star (but with the main character holding a sword)
DKL

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 10:14 pm Reply with quote
I actually thought that it looks like all of KAWAJIRI's other works *Ninja Scroll, Vampire Hunter D, etc.*

because of the way the characters were drawn and shaded and stuff

well, I like that, so it's all cool
JETBLACK87

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 2:38 am Reply with quote
Looks pretty bad.

Once again I have to refer back to this post:

animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=3756&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=highlander&topic_view=flat&start=30

JETBLACK87 wrote:
I want to see an anime that takes place in the Highlander universe about an immortal Samurai(in Japan of course).

It would be cool if it were an immortal samurai in modern day.
Arkard

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 4:00 am Reply with quote
I dunno... I love the Highlander movies but this... I dont know...
I really wished for it to be more like Highlander 1, set in modern times with flashbacks to good ol` Scotland, or just any past time. Furthermore, the character desing makes him look WAY too young, and yes, he does resemble Jubei from Ninja Scroll. If things go liek this we will get another Animatrix. Fighting robots with katans in the future.
Now, just like you said, a movie about an immortal samurai, fighting in the PRESENT would be indeed awesome. I am really not convinced with the teaser and I had so high hopes with the movie. But.. I guess the higher the hopes the harder the fall.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2