• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - I, Robot

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shenl742

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 4:35 pm Reply with quote
I'm with you Erin on Casshern. I went in with an open mind, but it just got worst and worst with each slow-paced, non-sensical episode.

The "reveal" of what caused the Ruin though was what really caused me to snap though

Casshern: spoiler[Mine and Luna's blood mixed and...the world changed]

Thats....That's it? Really? WHAT THE **** DOES THAT MEAN!?!?

It's like, one of those things where people will berate you for hating because you didn't "get it" or, "understand the symbolism" or something.

Personally, I think it's just an example of the writers having no flipping idea either.
nght5tlkr

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 4:38 pm Reply with quote
Why is the the K-ON! volume 3 BD review listed up top?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 5:04 pm Reply with quote
I guess haters will criticize you for reviewing the Casshern BR after already making your views clear but I have to say, I loved. I particularily liked the line "the Blu-ray certainly lets you see some of the finer details of the blurred brushstrokes" Laughing

Don't touch the movie, it's a CG showcase done in the period before CG had really reached the point where a movie could effectively meld live action and such tremendous amounts of artificial landscapes. It's a mess and the "story" makes no sense.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ranka

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 5:10 pm Reply with quote
Wow. I can't get over the amount of hate Erin dishes out for Casshern Sins every time it pops up on Self Life. As if her past two "reviews" weren't awful enough, now ANN throws yet another pointless bashing of the Complete Collection our way?

This is just five minutes of Erin telling us all the things she hates about Casshern and anime like it; not even trying to address the actual merits of the series. Aside from, 'oh I guess the music was okay when I turned off my brain.' The fact she would even put it in the Perishable category only confirms my beliefs that she's the worst column writer on this site.

She actually put it below the Hetalia movie. And I'm a fan of Hetalia, but half the movie is reused footage from the tv series, and she only seems to like the dub version of it at that. It HARDLY should fall into a category above a well-made series like Casshern Sins.

You cannot say Casshern Sins wasn't in the Top 10 of the best anime of its year, and to write it off as completely Perishable is not just an insult to those who enjoyed it, but to Madhouse and everyone who worked to make an actual worthwhile anime.

If Casshern Sins wasn't Erin's cup of tea, fine. But how about she actually reviews something for once, instead of taking up 8 paragraphs how she thinks its boring crap?
Yorozuya

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 5:51 pm Reply with quote
ranka wrote:
Wow. I can't get over the amount of hate Erin dishes out for Casshern Sins every time it pops up on Self Life. As if her past two "reviews" weren't awful enough, now ANN throws yet another pointless bashing of the Complete Collection our way?

This is just five minutes of Erin telling us all the things she hates about Casshern and anime like it; not even trying to address the actual merits of the series. Aside from, 'oh I guess the music was okay when I turned off my brain.' The fact she would even put it in the Perishable category only confirms my beliefs that she's the worst column writer on this site.

She actually put it below the Hetalia movie. And I'm a fan of Hetalia, but half the movie is reused footage from the tv series, and she only seems to like the dub version of it at that. It HARDLY should fall into a category above a well-made series like Casshern Sins.

You cannot say Casshern Sins wasn't in the Top 10 of the best anime of its year, and to write it off as completely Perishable is not just an insult to those who enjoyed it, but to Madhouse and everyone who worked to make an actual worthwhile anime.

If Casshern Sins wasn't Erin's cup of tea, fine. But how about she actually reviews something for once, instead of taking up 8 paragraphs how she thinks its boring crap?

She didn't seem unfair to me, that's just how she felt about it. That's all and she explained that in her review. Saying that she's insulting Madhouse doesn't relate to anything but maybe I don't really get what you're asking for here...

Anyway, I couldn't get past the first 6 episodes of that show because it was so slow and dreary.

I agree about Darkerthanblack and your review has reminded me that I need to buy it. I'd been waiting for the complete season release.

And us English lot are used to attempts at British accents from Americans. I mostly don't even notice it any more! (Well, except for when that Emily character shows up on friends. Her accent is just awful!)
Megiddo

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 5:58 pm Reply with quote
Erin wrote:
Everything about this show [Darker Than Black] is solid

I didn't like Darker than Black because it is almost complete style over substance. As far as I know, the purpose and existence of "The Gate" is never explained. The explanation for why contractors have to perform a certain action (like smoking or vomiting or whatever) is never given. I got bored with it eventually and decided around halfway through that my time in the anime club was better spent watching an episode of LoGH.

For those who don't mind pure style over substance, they're sure to love it. But for those like me who crave substance, meaning, and decent writing in anime over spiffy animation and 'cool' battle scenes will have a harder time I think.
Taiyz

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 6:00 pm Reply with quote
ranka wrote:
how about she actually reviews something for once, instead of taking up 8 paragraphs how she thinks its boring crap?
Actually, Erin should be applauded for actually having so much to write about such a vapid pile of garbage.

I wasn't going to be harsh about it myself, but then I saw your post and decided not to pull my punches.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 6:00 pm Reply with quote
There isn't a single reviewer on this site who hasn't written a review or comment that's made me scratch my head and go "Eh, what was he/she thinking?!" Even Theron, who I agree with more than any other staff member here, occasionally has views that seem so out there that I just don't understand them.

I find that it is best to just not let it bother you, and to even avoid reading reviews you know are just going to bug you, like say, a Casshern Sins review by someone who's already written two negative columns about it.

If you honestly think Erin (or anyone else here) is a poor reviewer who doesn't live up to the standards of ANN, go ahead and post about, but you might want to change your tone a bit. Also, keep in mind that some of your issues may have nothing to do with Erin, and everything to do with the Shelf Life column itself. It's a bit more informal than ANN's standard reviews, and isn't always going to go into a specific breakdown of every component of a series, especially when it's a series that has already been reviewed twice there.

Last edited by Mad_Scientist on Mon Dec 12, 2011 6:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
Kyon27

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 6:01 pm Reply with quote
ranka wrote:

Um, how is it an insult to those who enjoyed it exactly? After all, she didn't say that you're an idiot for liking the show, she just expressed her opinion.

ranka wrote:

I hate to have to point this out to you, but that's what a review is: a person's opinion of the subject. Don't you ever listen to ANNcast? Zac has a damn near perfect definition of what a review is. Just take a deep breath and calm down. Just because Erin doesn't like what you like, doesn't mean she's directly insulting you or other fans of the show.
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 6:05 pm Reply with quote
Watching Scrapped Princess means you instantly win everything forever.
Kyon27

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 6:09 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
Erin wrote:
Everything about this show [Darker Than Black] is solid

I didn't like Darker than Black because it is almost complete style over substance. As far as I know, the purpose and existence of "The Gate" is never explained. The explanation for why contractors have to perform a certain action (like smoking or vomiting or whatever) is never given.

By my understanding, even the characters in the show have no idea why the skies changed or why the "Gates" appeared. Or even what they are, for that matter. That doesn't exactly mean that the show is all style and no substance. Sure, it's not the deepest anime in the world, but I wouldn't exactly characterize it as style over substance.

Personally, I kind of like that they leave much of that stuff unexplained. It allows them to avoid boring, expository info-dumps and just focus on the characters. I especially enjoyed watching the characters subtly evolve throughout the show.
bravetailor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 6:46 pm Reply with quote
On the Darker than Black S2 commentaries, the Funi staff keeps mentioning that Hei is REALLY A LOT LIKE BATMAN.

Well, yes, kinda, but after watching the series, to me, I think he's closer to an old-school shinobi than a superhero. For one thing, he's not even a hero. Just because he's nicer than most contractors (relatively speaking) he's still a mercenary. And he has a tendency to disappear at the end of every season, just like a ninja! Batman OTOH has such a big ego he has to shine his big ol' Bat Signal all over the city for everyone to see at the end of every story he's in.

"He is stronger than steel and moves faster than a whirlwind. Sometimes he hides in mud, other times he transforms his shape like an ever changing cloud. Although his fighting spirit burns like fire, his mind is as calm as still water."

Yes, I've been playing some Shinobi 3 again lately. Laughing

Also, Casshern Sins is great. So there!
Anthis

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 6:53 pm Reply with quote
Kyon27-
I'd say Darker than Black left too many things unexplained. It was as if the creators did not really bother explaining things altogether. I couldn't really get immersed in the story because things just got pulled from thin air when required to spice things up.
I do agree with your comment on infodumps. Also allowed for a nice pace.

Megiddo-
I can imagine the lack of exposition in DTB is jarring when you're watching LOGH at the same time! What a contrast.
Zhou-BR

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 7:39 pm Reply with quote
Good to know Darker than Black is selling well, but I wonder why Funimation has yet to license the first season in high definition, even though they already released the second season on Blu-ray.
yuetheguardian

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 8:00 pm Reply with quote
Nice Collection i am also from the detroit area. and run an anime club over in Wayne.

Cassern sins, did not entice me, need to watch darker then black and have no see to much hetalia yet need to buy the dvds eventually.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5