• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Marmalade Boy Misunderstanding

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dejiko

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 2:21 am Reply with quote
Hmm... I'd better hunt down those final volumes in case no-one's going to do a reprint or an own version of this title Smile
guyverfanboy

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 11:32 am Reply with quote
Good thing I already own all of Tokyopop's run of Marmalade Boy seeing as how I am not very fond of Viz. Anime hyper
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 4:43 pm Reply with quote
guyverfanboy wrote:
Good thing I already own all of Tokyopop's run of Marmalade Boy seeing as how I am not very fond of Viz.

Re-read the article. Viz does not have Marmalade Boy.

-t
TiredGamer

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 5:41 pm Reply with quote
Whether Viz has the license or not is completely besides the point here. The big news should be that Viz's parents just roughed up Tokyopop. I'm too lazy right now to go hunt down what other Shuensha/Shogakakun licenses Tokyopop currently has, but this could be the start of an interesting "shakedown".
holl.e.rama

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 8:53 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I heard that Marmalade Boy was going to be licensed by Del Rey, not that I believed it. Well, it's a good thing I finished the series a long time ago anyway.
GATSU

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 9:02 pm Reply with quote
gamer: It'd be Viz's loss, not Tokyopop's, because people would be stocking up on the current TPBs, so they wouldn't have to deal with dumbed-down dialogue and edited nipples.
guyverfanboy

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 12:44 am Reply with quote
tempest wrote:
guyverfanboy wrote:
Good thing I already own all of Tokyopop's run of Marmalade Boy seeing as how I am not very fond of Viz.

Re-read the article. Viz does not have Marmalade Boy.

-t

They will eventually since hardly anything from Shuesha is licensed to other companies that are not Viz.
TiredGamer

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 1:50 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
It'd be Viz's loss, not Tokyopop's, because people would be stocking up on the current TPBs, so they wouldn't have to deal with dumbed-down dialogue and edited nipples.

That would be fine if Tokyopop could keep printing up to the point where all of the current readership have purchased books. That not being the case, there will be those who must go without or will have to purchase the new versions. Then there are the new readers who will enter the market and will purchase the new versions.

Hence this is not a losing proposition for anyone. Tokyopop sells out their stock, and the new publisher gets new readers as well as current readership.
Awesome Possum

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 6:15 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
gamer: It'd be Viz's loss, not Tokyopop's, because people would be stocking up on the current TPBs, so they wouldn't have to deal with dumbed-down dialogue and edited nipples.

Well, considering Marmalade Boy is 13+ and doesn't have any nudity whatsoever (From what I remember), I don't think there's going to be a problem with editing nudity. Razz Dumbed-down dialogue? Well, unless they throw in American slang like they did for Hot Gimmick, it shouldn't be a problem. People need to stop assuming edits from one manga apply to everything a company does. Ranma, Hot Gimmick, Happy Hustle High..all got away with nudity.

And I know Viz isn't licensing it, just answering a "what if" question of sorts.

The confusion might have been because TP lost the rights and Viz licensed another Wataru Yoshizumi title.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1