• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Initial D Live Action DVD

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LeSomeGuy

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 10:01 pm Reply with quote
Just a fair warning, the story line of this movie is absolutely horriable. The story has very little with the manga nor the anime. The more you love the series the more tear you will have in the end (not in the good way).

But, this movie is considered to be good none the less. The racing scenes are awsome and realistic; the cars are beautiful and shining.

So, when watching this movie, please ignore the story line at all cost (unless you have not seem or read Initial D at all), just watch the pretty cars drifting down-hill on Akina mountain.
Abarenbo Shogun

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 10:49 pm Reply with quote
I better say it before someone raises a stink about it:

Please let someone other than Tokyopop release this a Region 1 DVD and UMD.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 11:17 pm Reply with quote
I assume you're worried Tokyopop would give it the "tricked out" treatment, but I don't think it would happen.

I doubt that whoever licenses this would bother to dub it. The market just isn't there. You'll notice that most companie simporting Asian cineme don't dub them.

Given that, and remembering that Tokyopop's subbed version of Initial D was very faithful to the original, I don't think you have anything to worry about.

-t
Pop-Art Samurai

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 11:20 pm Reply with quote
LeSomeGuy wrote:
Just a fair warning, the story line of this movie is absolutely horriable. The story has very little with the manga nor the anime. The more you love the series the more tear you will have in the end (not in the good way).

Is it actually horrible? Or just bad because it doesn't really follow the manga/anime?

Anyway, the directors are solid, the screenwriter as well, they all worked together on Infernal Affairs. Which was, let's face it, a darn good film. (And no, not just because it had Leung Chiu-Wai and/or Andy Lau in it.)

I'm looking forwards to seeing it.
Raoh

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 1:16 am Reply with quote
tempest wrote:
I assume you're worried Tokyopop would give it the "tricked out" treatment, but I don't think it would happen.

I doubt that whoever licenses this would bother to dub it. The market just isn't there. You'll notice that most companie simporting Asian cineme don't dub them.

Given that, and remembering that Tokyopop's subbed version of Initial D was very faithful to the original, I don't think you have anything to worry about.

-t

Its true, too. The Inital D dvd's, while not containing a faithful Dub, do have an interestingly accurate Sub.

If anyone does get Initial D, it will most likely be Tokyopop or Media Blaster's Tokyo Shock lable.

Either way, it should contain a good Sub. and if Tokyo Shock gets it, the chances of a Dub are pretty good. I have their Ichi The Killer DVD release and it contains an awesome sub, aswell as a good dub, plus various extras including interviews.

I'm hoping Tokyo Shock does it, and perhapes does some sort of cross-promotional thing with Tokyopop.

Though, I do agree that the movie, while the story is confusing and the plot doesn't follow Initial D accuratly, does have excellent racing scenes. Especially at the finale. Its good for one or two viewings. I loved the Evo's in it. Very Happy
Abarenbo Shogun

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 5:18 am Reply with quote
tempest wrote:

-t

Like I said in another thread, I can't fathom why a company that has a line of "Sport Compact" DVD's directed at Tuners can undertake such a stupid move.
LeSomeGuy

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 9:44 am Reply with quote
If they don't follow the story line of manga and anime, and create a new story, new challenge, that would be awsome, but they twisted the original story line.

If you have read all 31 volumes (currently) of manga and 60 episodes (currently), you would be saying "That's not how it happened" or "Where did this came from?" and many other comments.

So, my advice to the non-Asian audiences that haven't seem this file yet, and a lover of Initial D, please ignore the story line as much as possible. Just watch the pretty cars drifting all over the place will make this movie worth your time.
belly button lint

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 12:38 am Reply with quote
Which Chinese language is this in?
Abarenbo Shogun

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 5:06 am Reply with quote
belly button lint wrote:

Mandarin it appears judging by this website with side-by-side trailers
smash

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2005 3:43 am Reply with quote
well... being that almost all hk movies are cantonese(well somewhat newer ones) ... and the first audio track on the dvd is cantonese, i am assuming the language on the dvd is cantonese... lol... and then also dubbed in mandarin
Abarenbo Shogun

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2005 4:05 am Reply with quote
Nobody's perfect.....at least I admit my mistakes. Unlike many other people.
silentjay

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 6:04 pm Reply with quote
belly button lint wrote:

According to YesAsia.com, Cantonese and Mandarin.
tinlunlau

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 8:19 am Reply with quote
Abarenbo Shogun wrote:
I better say it before someone raises a stink about it:

Please let someone other than Tokyopop release this a Region 1 DVD and UMD.

Tai Seng has released a Region 1 edition.
not knowing this when i bought it on friday, i grabbed the region 3 edition. struggled a bit looking for region code breaking programs. luckily figured it out so no problem loading this in my computer now. anyway, i have heard that the contents are exactly the same as the hong kong release. and from what i see in the hong kong dvd, it's a fine DVD.

contains DTS-es in Cantonese, and DD-ex 5.1 audio tracks in Cantonese and Mandarin.

easter eggs can found if you press "left" on the 2nd disc, the "Fujiwara Tofu-Den" logo will turn blue.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1