• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The X Button - New Annuals

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 10:19 am Reply with quote
I actually did wanna check out the TG-16, but that thing was overpriced and, unlike the SEGA CD, lacking in eye-grabbing games.

Quote:
Why It Was Overlooked: Ghost Trick earned its share of praise, even garnering a “Best Portable Game of 2011” from GameStop. But it wasn't quite the phenomenon that Phoenix Wright was—perhaps due to the lack of self-contained legal cases (and fan-fiction-friendly character designs).

Plus, Source Code stole its thunder.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 1:49 pm Reply with quote
In regards to over looked games, I would have liked X Button to have taken closer looks at more actual anime and anime style games that came out this year, specifically Fate/Extra and Corpse Party. I don't know if you're only allowed to review things companies send you, or ones you've bought yourself, but since this is a video game collumn on an anime website I would think games like that should get some sort of priority.

Still, good collumn like always.
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 1:55 pm Reply with quote
Funnily enough, the last time I purchased a game for my DS, I was torn between deciding to get either Radiant Historia or Ghost Trick. Ended up going for Radiant Historia, but I'm sure I'll pick up Ghost Trick next time I have a chance.
Shenl742

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 1:57 pm Reply with quote
Real good list, though I was extremely disappointed with El Shaddai. Beautiful and original looking in terms of visuals, but in terms of gameplay and story it felt incredibly hollow and sterile.

And pomeranians aren't cartoons? Could've fooled me...
Dessa

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 2:00 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
WE'RE PRETTY SURE THAT ATLUS HAS GUNGNIR

Quote:
what Atlus will (almost certainly!) launch here in the summer.

Atlus already announced this, at least a week ago. They've even got the official site up. Lemme check their twitter, too...

Quote:
AtlusUSA Watch the opening video to the newly announced #SRPG #Gungnir for #PSP, coming June 12, 2012! bit.ly/rE383i #atlus 11 days ago

Quote:
AtlusUSA Atlus U.S.A., Inc.
Did you guess correctly? #ATLUS to publish #Gungnir, #PSP SRPG from makers of Knights in the Nightmare, in summer 2012 bit.ly/uWMNAr
21 Dec

I usually don't have a problem with the column, but you might want to at least check the company's website before saying that something was "hinted at" and implying that it hasn't been announced.
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 2:46 pm Reply with quote
While it certainly wasn't overlooked by critics, I'd say a massively overlooked game by the general public was Rayman Origins as it bombed in sales. It was a brilliant 2-D platformer that was fun playing solo and MASSIVE fun playing with friends together. It was the best co-op game of the year, and that's saying something as Ratchet and Clank All 4 One and Skylanders were pretty fun played with friends as well. While the Rabbids games were amusing for what they were, I hope low sales doesn't mean we'll return to them as the high quality of Origins just shows what happens when Rayman stays the focus of the game.
ajr

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 3:23 pm Reply with quote
I'd just like to add that Hudson Soft also did a number of the Mario Party games, I believe.
Haterater

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 4:53 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
In regards to over looked games, I would have liked X Button to have taken closer looks at more actual anime and anime style games that came out this year, specifically Fate/Extra and Corpse Party. I don't know if you're only allowed to review things companies send you, or ones you've bought yourself, but since this is a video game collumn on an anime website I would think games like that should get some sort of priority.

Still, good collumn like always.

But you run into a problem of style, that because something doesn't look like how many view what anime "should look like," then its "not anime" or something like that. Like how Shin-chan, One Piece, Super Milk-chan, some older anime, etc don't look like the typical anime style. They shouldn't be excluded because they are different from the norm.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 5:16 pm Reply with quote
Sting RPGs: Personally, I'd love to see another game like Hexyz Force. It was such a nice return to good ol' turn-based combat that it was worth playing fully. Come on Sting, make another Hexyz Force!

Trails in the Sky: Grumble grumble, and while we're waiting for SC, Japan is way ahead as usual with a brand new title in the series coming up. XSeed really needs more employees to help them translate the massive amount of text in Trails. They're a small company of few people. By the time they actually do announce SC, it'll probably be at a point most people may have forgotten about the cliffhanger from FC. As for Aeria porting the whole thing to the iPhone, that sounds cool and all, but it's going to be an enormous undertaking considering they have to start from the ground up. Good luck to them.

Princess Crown: Already some moronic comments on YouTube from people about the game. Typical YouTubers. That aside, it's going to be a game like Guardian Heroes? If so, I can see some potential sales.

Solatorobo: I think most people were turned off by the fact the game is so repetitive and the puzzles are mind numbingly easy. I heard the story was pretty good for it was. No, I'm not going to mention anything about furries. This game wasn't designed with that in mind whatsoever, but I'm sure there's plenty of bashing about it somewhere in the dark recesses of the Internet where trolls reside.

God Eater Burst: It's God Eater Burst, foolish U.S. branch. Oh look out, I made a game about eating God, lololol, here come the offended religions now! Okay, now that the obligatory bad joke is out of the way, I think this game is honestly better than Monster Hunter. I just don't see why MH is so popular. I'm really not into plotless games. They have no substance for me. While this one does have a fairly typical post-apocalyptic setup, it's certainly a better background for a story than going around hunting giant beasts for their bones and fur in a world with no explanation as to why you're actually doing that. Just my opinion though.

Radiant Historia: I'm beginning to think I'd better land a copy before it's too late. The prices are going up on Amazon as we speak. I've heard many good things about this game and its multiple choice paths make it one of the best RPGs I've seen in a long time. The battle system is also pretty fun since you essentially set up the enemies for big combinations.

What was with the dog factor Todd, seriously? XP
Daichi09

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 7:17 pm Reply with quote
Dessa wrote:
Quote:
WE'RE PRETTY SURE THAT ATLUS HAS GUNGNIR

Quote:
what Atlus will (almost certainly!) launch here in the summer.

Atlus already announced this, at least a week ago. They've even got the official site up. Lemme check their twitter, too...

Quote:
AtlusUSA Watch the opening video to the newly announced #SRPG #Gungnir for #PSP, coming June 12, 2012! bit.ly/rE383i #atlus 11 days ago

Quote:
AtlusUSA Atlus U.S.A., Inc.
Did you guess correctly? #ATLUS to publish #Gungnir, #PSP SRPG from makers of Knights in the Nightmare, in summer 2012 bit.ly/uWMNAr
21 Dec

I usually don't have a problem with the column, but you might want to at least check the company's website before saying that something was "hinted at" and implying that it hasn't been announced.

Just keep in mind that Atlus ran a stupid trolling guessing game to guess what their new title was, and all hints minus the last one pointed at not one, but two games.

And the same day they officially announce Gungnir, they try the same guessing game on us again.
Lightning Leo

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 7:41 pm Reply with quote
Interesting top 5, it kinda makes me more interested in Sola to Robo. I was initially interested because of the flying machines and the bright/optimistic/arcadian world it depicted (don't see much of that around in games anymore, sadly), but I was somewhat skeptical because all the trailers I saw didn't show any flying around (I really love some flight games and the sense of freedom they give, especially Sky Odyssey). I did see a screenshot recently that showed what looked like some flying, so I wonder if it's a big part of the game, or if it's an underplayed side-feature or something.

I also hear Ghost Trick is really good. Might wait for the price to go down before I pick it up.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:21 pm Reply with quote
Haterater wrote:
But you run into a problem of style, that because something doesn't look like how many view what anime "should look like," then its "not anime" or something like that. Like how Shin-chan, One Piece, Super Milk-chan, some older anime, etc don't look like the typical anime style. They shouldn't be excluded because they are different from the norm.

True, but excluding stuff that is obviously anime inspired isn't any better.
Dessa

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:30 pm Reply with quote
Daichi09 wrote:
Just keep in mind that Atlus ran a stupid trolling guessing game to guess what their new title was, and all hints minus the last one pointed at not one, but two games.

My point is, is that the article implies that Gugnir has been hinted toward but not announced, whereas it was announced 2 weeks ago.
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:40 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
Haterater wrote:

True, but excluding stuff that is obviously anime inspired isn't any better.

But it hasn't been excluded. Tons of anime inspired games have been shown, and both the examples you mentioned have been part of past columns. He may not have reviewed the games you mentioned, but he only gives full length reviews to a small number of games each year.
TeenyDratini

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 9:07 pm Reply with quote
It's nice to see Radiant Historia on your list. I absolutely loved that game.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2