• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: ADV November Releases [2005-08-30]

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Advent_Nebula

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 9:18 pm Reply with quote
Joy, more striped thinpacks.
theoriginalbilis

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 9:47 pm Reply with quote
To me, ADV is kicking ass in the box set market nowadays. I mean sure, the thinpak collections don't carry the extras anymore, but for casual fans like me, it's great since you're getting entire series at an agreeable price.

It's a great way to tap more into the casual market, and get more people to buy their shows.

Off of the list, I'm most looking forward to buying...

Eva Platinum Collection
Chrono Crusade Collection
Shadow Skill - Vol. 1
Kaleido Star Collection
and Peacemaker Collection.

Thanks ADV, now I'm going to be poor this Christmas. Razz
Kazuki-san

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 9:55 pm Reply with quote
theoriginalbilis wrote:
To me, ADV is kicking ass in the box set market nowadays. I mean sure, the thinpak collections don't carry the extras anymore, but for casual fans like me, it's great since you're getting entire series at an agreeable price.

I have to agree. The casual fan is not likely to care about extras anyway, so any excuse to lower prices will draw at least a few in that wouldn't normally buy, or buy as much. I like anime extras, but I could care less about extras on Hollywood movies. I just love it when they boast about having 4 hours of extras or whatever. A waste of 4 hours maybe.
Bara_Megami

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 9:58 pm Reply with quote
Holy crap, HOW many times has Sakura Tsuushin been released now?

(and how many times have I said "I will buy it!" but never have...?)
The Ramblin' Wreck

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 11:04 pm Reply with quote
theoriginalbilis wrote:

It's a great way to tap more into the casual market, and get more people to buy their shows.

Off of the list, I'm most looking forward to buying...

Eva Platinum Collection
Chrono Crusade Collection
Shadow Skill - Vol. 1
Kaleido Star Collection
and Peacemaker Collection.

Thanks ADV, now I'm going to be poor this Christmas. Razz

Well, I'me getting the Chrono Crusade and EVA platinum one plus the Mahoromatic one.

Dang, I'm going to be poor too.
Advent_Nebula

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 12:28 am Reply with quote
Well ADV dose know how to market, it forces the Hardcore fans like myself that like the Extras to buy the orgional releaces.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 8:11 am Reply with quote
I wonder if they are releasing a collection for the 'Platinum' of EVA or the regular. They currently have a complete boxset for first release of 'EVA'. I picked it up last year from TRSI when they were doing their "Xmas special". It was a 50-75% off discount for all ADV products. Smile Considering the price for the complete set running around $150-$200 I paid only $40 for the whole thing. You can't beat that.

Chances are they may be putting their regular ED. in a collection, just to get rid of it. After all since they just released the "Platinum" ED. they will probably want to make some money off of it first before "stripping" it down. But who knows let's wait and see.

Which do people want? The 'EVA Platinum ED' in "thinpacks" or the full set but at a cost less than $100?
Kazuki-san

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 9:22 am Reply with quote
Chrno2 wrote:
I wonder if they are releasing a collection for the 'Platinum' of EVA or the regular.

It's Platinum. It makes little sense for them to produce more of the original release when they have something far superior in Plat. Anyone whose compared the two (or own both like I do) will tell you the same thing I think.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 9:36 am Reply with quote
Kazuki-san wrote:
Chrno2 wrote:
I wonder if they are releasing a collection for the 'Platinum' of EVA or the regular.

It's Platinum. It makes little sense for them to produce more of the original release when they have something far superior in Plat. Anyone whose compared the two (or own both like I do) will tell you the same thing I think.

Sounds good to me.
David Silva

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 2:37 pm Reply with quote
What do you mean, "Strip(p?)ed"?

Are you saying that these boxsets don't have ANY extras at all?! What a ripoff!
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 3:22 pm Reply with quote
David Silva wrote:
What do you mean, "Strip(p?)ed"?

Are you saying that these boxsets don't have ANY extras at all?! What a ripoff!

How is it a ripoff? It's like $120 off the original MSRP. You get the entire run of the show.

Those box sets are a great deal. If you're so enthusiastic about having extras and stuff, why didn't you buy the show when it came out the first time?
Nagisa

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 4:14 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Those box sets are a great deal. If you're so enthusiastic about having extras and stuff, why didn't you buy the show when it came out the first time?

Gotta respond to that with another question: do they still release a full-size box at full MSRP, or are these thinpacks the only box sets of the series we'll ever get? Personally, I prefer to wait for most series until they become available as a complete box set, and then get the whole thing in one go. But at the same time, I also like having all the extras intact, which is why I'd rather go for a full box rather than the thinpack. And since I haven't really heard one way or another, I'd like to know if people like me still have that chance to get the full box set at once, or if these thinpacks are about the only whole-series collections we'll see of certain titles.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Kazuki-san

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 4:28 pm Reply with quote
Nagisa wrote:

Gotta respond to that with another question: do they still release a full-size box at full MSRP

I think the trend we will start to see is an artbox w/ vol 1 in the beginning, and a thinpack for the full set after everything is out. Get those that care about artboxes and extras early, and the casuals later on.
Nagisa

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 4:30 pm Reply with quote
Yay for making things needlessly more difficult. Sad
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Mugen1style

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 4:31 pm Reply with quote
I would like to see all "premium box sets" have all the extras and more than the original, and then thier could be a econ. box set with no extras. I think I have seen that with shows like Ninja Scroll. If there was a standard then it would not matter if its a thin pack.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2