• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Legend of the Galactic Heroes Café Opens in Tokyo

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 3:49 pm Reply with quote
Can I assume Yang's tea will be served with brandy?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
JDuks

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 4:09 pm Reply with quote
Is this a gay bar?
Sir Amyas Leigh

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 5:07 pm Reply with quote
Awesome. I just started this series, and I'm loving every minute of it. I tried mixing tea and brandy.... lets just say I'd rather take shots and use the tea as a chaser. (assuming I had no coke...)
@Jduks... I totally lolled at that... Reinharht always gave me some weird vibes.
blaizevincent

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 5:11 pm Reply with quote
once again my dreams of Legend of the Galactic heroes getting Licensed are dashed.

My fools hope of an ANN article with the title of Legend of the Galactic Heroes licensed by ... remains just that a fools hope.
Keichitsu0305

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 6:39 pm Reply with quote
You know after hearing Locke the Superman, Galaxy Express 999, and a whole lot of other classic anime being licensed, you think an epic like Legend of the Galactic Heroes would becoming stateside soon.

But no....they give us (or rather Tokyo residents) a freaking cafe or host club, I can't tell.

*sigh* I hope this 30th anniversary play gives the show enough popularity that someone will license it. Anime cry
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 6:44 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
they give us (or rather Tokyo residents) a freaking cafe or host club, I can't tell.

I don't think they[Discotek] have anything to do with the they that setup the hero cafe.
mufurc

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 7:43 pm Reply with quote
I'm more of an Empire person but I'd love to visit there and drink Yang tea. (provided it comes with brandy, of course)

Quote:
(Actor/singer Ryūichi Kawamura, pictured right, not only produced the music in the play, but he will also star as the Free Planets Alliance officer Yang Wen-li.)

Shocked

This is pretty damn surreal. Shocked Now I'm picturing Yang looking like Ryuuichi from his Luna Sea days... Very Happy

Last edited by mufurc on Sat Jan 21, 2012 7:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 7:51 pm Reply with quote
Keichitsu0305 wrote:
You know after hearing Locke the Superman, Galaxy Express 999, and a whole lot of other classic anime being licensed, you think an epic like Legend of the Galactic Heroes would becoming stateside soon.

But no....they give us (or rather Tokyo residents) a freaking cafe or host club, I can't tell.

*sigh* I hope this 30th anniversary play gives the show enough popularity that someone will license it. Anime cry

Even now, it would still be a rather expensive license, like close to the Japanese prices if nothing else. Maybe to test the waters, they could try licensing the prequel films or the Golden Wings OVA. Those cannot be as costly to bring over, and the two films are actually good introductions to the main series.
mufurc

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 7:57 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Even now, it would still be a rather expensive license, like close to the Japanese prices if nothing else.

And it wouldn't be profitable, anyway. LoGH is not the kind of anime that has mass appeal and it's too big to license for the handful of fans who would buy it. Remember that attempt some years ago? Nothing came of it.

(And eh, Golden Wings. It's pretty much nothing like the main series - it was an independent project.)

Someone could license the novels, though. They're not light novels so they could market it to regular sci-fi fans. Then again, I suppose they're too old-fashioned by today's sci-fi standards...
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 8:29 pm Reply with quote
mufurc wrote:
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Even now, it would still be a rather expensive license, like close to the Japanese prices if nothing else.

And it wouldn't be profitable, anyway. LoGH is not the kind of anime that has mass appeal and it's too big to license for the handful of fans who would buy it. Remember that attempt some years ago? Nothing came of it.

About 2000 bucks! Laughing
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 8:43 pm Reply with quote
I think the best way to release LoGH in North America would be "season" sets of the four arcs, on DVD and/or Blu-Ray. Premium extras could include character guides (pretty useful with such a huge cast), Empire or FPA iron-ons, OSTs (basically just a lot of classical music, but hey, it's awesome classical music), etc.

Each set would be about fifty, maybe sixty dollars.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
dtm42

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 8:56 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Each set would be about fifty, maybe sixty dollars.

Well, when you win Lotto, you can pay for the license and distribution. Cause that's the only way the prices are going to be that low. Mark my words, High School DxD will make twice as much gross than Legend of the Galactic Heroes ever could even with all four seasons combined.

It has a lot of love here at the ANN forums, but I'm not so sure the average fan would be willing to fork over that much cash for a single series, even one with one-hundred-and-ten episodes. Even if sales were solid for such an old series, I still doubt it would be enough to turn a profit.

Although, if Aniplex got a hold of it and had a sub-only release priced at $400.00, then it probably would do amazing (or at least well enough to turn a profit). Of course, it might have to be a DVD release if the Japanese fear reverse-importation.

Don't get me wrong, it's not that I don't want the show to be released internationally, it's just that, if it did, I don't think fans will buy it in sufficient numbers. I would absolutely love to be proven wrong on this. But it's all a moot point anyway because as of yet nothing is happening.
Keichitsu0305

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 9:17 pm Reply with quote
ArsenicSteel wrote:
Quote:
they give us (or rather Tokyo residents) a freaking cafe or host club, I can't tell.

I don't think they[Discotek] have anything to do with the they that setup the hero cafe.

Sorry for not being clear. I meant 'they' as in whom ever put the cafe at Tokyo's Tea Room 2525. Discotek is, of course, American so they had nothing to do with this. Embarassed

walw6pK4Alo wrote:

Even now, it would still be a rather expensive license, like close to the Japanese prices if nothing else. Maybe to test the waters, they could try licensing the prequel films or the Golden Wings OVA. Those cannot be as costly to bring over, and the two films are actually good introductions to the main series.

No doubt about the high pricing. Heck, if they could get the entire saga (OVAs and films), the price tag would eclipse Fate/Zero and Garden of Sinners. AND that's not even including commentary, a bonus Blu-Ray disc, Behind-the-Scenes, or any other nifty extras.
But it would be sooooo worth it!!! Very Happy
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 9:26 pm Reply with quote
A guy can dream, can't he? A guy can dream...
dtm42

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 10:14 pm Reply with quote
Yes. Yes he can.

I dream of an Anime industry where my only complaint is that there are so many great series that I can't follow them all. Where we weather a deluge of LotGH-clones instead of listening to Rie bloody Kugimiya playing a small-breasted Tsundere Loli (yet again) in Ecchi-Harem-Comedy #425. Ugh.

Never going to happen, but that doesn't stop me from dreaming.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2