• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Smile Precure's 1st Episode Preview Streamed

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 1:59 pm Reply with quote
Before watching: Please be like HeartCatch! Please be like HeartCatch! Please be like HeartCatch! Please be like HeartCatch!

After watching: Well, it wasn't like HeartCatch, and that's bad. It wasn't like Suite so that's good. Guess it's better then a poke in the eye with a sharp stick.
naninanino

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 2:22 pm Reply with quote
Maybe they thought Heartcatch wasn't suitable for the core audience of Precure (little girls) so they won't do that again. I guess I'll check out the first couple of episodes and see how it fares.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 3:08 pm Reply with quote
I don't really get all the Heartcatch worship.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 3:13 pm Reply with quote
One error in the article: the Encyclopedia lists Nao Midorikawa as being played by Marina Inoue, not a voice actress with the same name as the character.

DmonHiro wrote:
Before watching: Please be like HeartCatch! Please be like HeartCatch! Please be like HeartCatch! Please be like HeartCatch!

After watching: Well, it wasn't like HeartCatch, and that's bad. It wasn't like Suite so that's good. Guess it's better then a poke in the eye with a sharp stick.
You should've hoped for it to be like Yes Pretty Cure 5 instead, then you would've gotten your wish granted. Between the general colors, the five-member team (with blue as a rich girl), and even the "in the library after school in episode 1" bit, the similarities are overwhelming at this point. Heck, they accused YPC5's Komachi Akimoto (green-haired one) of being a Retasu Midorikawa ripoff, but at least she didn't have the exact same last name.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 3:24 pm Reply with quote
Wait a minute? ZALIS? The same one that just posted on my blog? You were a mod here?

Back on topic: I'm OK with it, YPC5 is my second favorite PC show, right after.... well, a lot behind, HeartCatch. I'm going to check this one out. Also, I just think that HeartCatch cost WAY too much for them. Mizuki Nana, Hisakawa Aya and Takayama Minami could not have been cheap. Hell, they even had Ishida Akira for a couple of episodes. Also, that animation was way above usual PC levels.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 3:41 pm Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:

I'd imagine it has to do with Yoshihiko Umakoshi involvement in the character designs and some of the animation. It did make Heartcatch Precure look more distinctive than the other ones.
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 6:18 pm Reply with quote
it looks like a sh!tty YPC5 ripoff...i'll still watch it anyway. Laughing
Cheesemon

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 7:13 pm Reply with quote
Found it amusing when I looked at the Youtube stats for that video that the top 3 viewers were males 25 - 54. Then I went and looked at a few of the most viewed Pretty Cure videos and while females 12 - 17 do show up sometimes, the biggest group of viewers is almost always males 35 - 54. Hmm . .
TitanXL

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 7:22 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, the main reason I'm hesitant about this is it looks very similar to Yes Pretty Cure 5. I hope it can live up to the previous few series.
Sacto0562

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:36 pm Reply with quote
I'm not surprised at all the comparisons with Yes! Pretty Cure 5, given that the main character designer (Toshie Kawamura) was also the main character designer on both Yes! Pretty Cure 5 series. Indeed, if you look at Cure Happy from the new series and Cure Dream from Yes! Pretty Cure 5 Go Go side by side, the outfit similarity is just uncanny....
naninanino

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 8:23 am Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:

Easy. Some of the best action on this side of Gurrenn Lagann, won a character design award for that year and has a very nifty soundtrack from the guy who also did music for Naruto (doesn't matter what you think of the series, the OST rocks).
Nayu

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 8:36 am Reply with quote
I'll go out on a limb and say "I hope its like Suite Precure" for balance. I've been watching Suite and loving every minute of it. I'm on episode 10 or so of Heartcatch and HATE the character designs, although the story is good. And that spinny thing they do with their wands is hilarious.

Suite Precure drug me back into Precure since the last one I watched completely before it was the original. It really does help that Hibiki and Kanade are so easily slashable.
darkserenity_7

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:02 pm Reply with quote
Nayu wrote:
I'll go out on a limb and say "I hope its like Suite Precure" for balance. I've been watching Suite and loving every minute of it. I'm on episode 10 or so of Heartcatch and HATE the character designs, although the story is good. And that spinny thing they do with their wands is hilarious.

Suite Precure drug me back into Precure since the last one I watched completely before it was the original. It really does help that Hibiki and Kanade are so easily slashable.

Id have to disagree with that, suite precures designs were really busy. I love frills and bows but there is way too much. Think of it this way, if a character has good flow (rather then frill,frill,bow, accessory on top) and a good silhouette as well as appeal then its a good design. Having alot of frills, is cute, but its not good. I personally didn't even get through the first episode of suite. though i do mean to get back to it before smile starts to give it a second chance.

Though heartcatch was my first and I do have a sort of biased towards it, the designs were the best considering that they dont just copy past from previous precures, there are certain elements that are borrowed to attach them to the precure universe but they manage to stand on their own. *and I thought the flower motif was pulled off wonderfully*
TitanXL

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:19 pm Reply with quote
Nayu wrote:

Indeed, I love Suite Precure.

I also agree Suite has better designs. Heartcatch isn't bad, but Suite overall has a much more beautiful art design going for it while Heartcatch is a bit more stylized. Smile's art is the least interesting of the 3 for me since it feels like they have been used before (the same designer as Precure 5 would probably be the reason)

And yeah, Hibiki and Kanade have the best chemistry out of the main two leads in a long while. Very slashable.

darkserenity_7 wrote:
Though heartcatch was my first and I do have a sort of biased towards it,

I do wonder if Heartcatch is so popular because it seems to be the first series a lot of non-old Precure fans have seen. I have seen quite a few say Heartcatch was their first.
elior1

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 3:38 am Reply with quote
i think it a little diffrent then yes pretty cure 5 becouse nozomi didn't fall into the mascot world in the first episode when she was in the libary like miyuki also nozomi followed coco into the libary but miyuki meet candy outside before she get to the school so there i diffrences between this seasons
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2