• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sentai Filmworks Considers More Gintama Based on Film Sales

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pajmo9

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 1:41 am Reply with quote
I really really really really hope this film sells well!

I would love to get more of the TV series on DVD.
Primus

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 1:43 am Reply with quote
Well, I'll be buying the movie and I didn't buy the TV series so there's something.
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 1:50 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Sentai Filmworks added that it will also consider dubbing the series as well based on film sales

That looks like a threat to me.
Ryan227

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 2:06 am Reply with quote
Oh wow this REALLY makes me hope the movie sells well! I'd love to see the series dubbed to... or well I guess I would depending on how the movie dub is Razz
The American Average

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 2:16 am Reply with quote
If theres a dub for the series i'll go out and buy tons of them and give them the children
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 2:16 am Reply with quote
ArsenicSteel wrote:
Quote:
Sentai Filmworks added that it will also consider dubbing the series as well based on film sales

....considering they would probably inflict the poor show with a Seven Foster "comedy" dub.

*shudders*

Anime dazed

Why dub it at all? The money would be better spent on licensing more of the show. Most of the jokes are so centered on Japanese pop culture anyway, localization is not really feasible. JMO.
FrameFreeze100

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 2:48 am Reply with quote
tuxedocat wrote:
ArsenicSteel wrote:
Quote:

....considering they would probably inflict the poor show with a Steven Foster "comedy" dub.

Wouldn't Kyle Jones direct the TV series dub (if it did get one) since he's directing the movie dub?
WindAlchemistJen

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 3:31 am Reply with quote
Already pre-ordered the movie, so, here's hoping it sells well enough for them to release more of the series.
Escaflowne2001

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 3:58 am Reply with quote
Dood. I would love the series to get dubbed I'm a fan of subs and dubs but comedy is always better dubbed IMO.
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:18 am Reply with quote
Escaflowne2001 wrote:
Dood. I would love the series to get dubbed I'm a fan of subs and dubs but comedy is always better dubbed IMO.

Out of morbid curiosity even though I can guess the answer. Is there anything that's always better subbed or rather in the original language?
Agent355

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:35 am Reply with quote
I'm looking forward to the dub! Gintama has been dubbed in Italian and Spanish, and some other languages, and I've felt a little left out! Razz

Of course, I'm holding out hope that they'll get some really great voice actors, say Chris Sabat for Gintoki and Brina Palencia or Monica Rial for Kagura. I have no idea how they'll actually cast the roles, buy there's no harm in being optimistic! Smile

As for shows that are generally better left in their original Japanese--I'm a dub fan, but long-running shonen/action shows can start sounding flat in the dub after a while (the latest Bleach eps on Adult Swim, for example). All voice performances can be great based on the actor's skill, the interpretation of the character, and the ear of the listener!
vulcanraven01

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 6:17 am Reply with quote
Like someone said, if the movie sells, just license more and release sub-only.
They can get away with dubbing the movie since it's based on one of the more serious arcs, whereas with the TV series, they are going to have to commit to at least 201 eps to not piss anyone off and struggle to probably dub all the cultural and anime reference jokes without straying from the original translation.
A very tough job indeed. Just look at something like Shinchan and how that had to be handled to be dubbed. We don't want that with Gintama thank you very much.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:32 am Reply with quote
Quote:
They can get away with dubbing the movie since it's based on one of the more serious arcs, whereas with the TV series, they are going to have to commit to at least 201 eps to not piss anyone off and struggle to probably dub all the cultural and anime reference jokes without straying from the original translation.

This is ADV (yes, Sentai is a seperate company, but they were formed from the ashes of ADV) we're talking about, they know how to dib comedy anime.

Besides, I don't see a problem with a few re-writes here and there.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:30 am Reply with quote
ArsenicSteel wrote:
Escaflowne2001 wrote:

Out of morbid curiosity even though I can guess the answer. Is there anything that's always better subbed or rather in the original language?

Ah, you recognize there is a difference between a visual work in its native language and one that is subtitled. It's a start.

The answer is always both. I don't understand the question, as it's not a matter of "better", it's a matter of "more". Everything is better off dubbed and in my own collection, everything is dubbed.

It's not because I don't understand Japanese, it's not because I don't respect the work and it's not because I don't watch the series in Japanese.

It's because: I'm in favor of any release that goes out of its way to 1) seperate itself from overpriced Otaku bait and 2) To snub the obvious fansubbers {and fansubber's fans} portrayal that "whatever" can never be fully enjoyed without yards and miles {meters and kilometers; 1 meter = 1.0936133 yards } of footnooted subtitled text.

And 3) just to spite purists. Well, that's more for my own personal enjoyment outside of the anime DVD release and this site's been a goldmine for that {A goldmine is a shaft constructed in the ground in order to extract the metal commonly referred to as gold. It was originally used as a source of currency and in 1848, in the state of California...}.

There's no difference in genre, no difference in intention for release and there's no difference in number of episodes; Everything's better off dubbed. Conversely, nothing's better off being subbed only.

As for Gintama, leave it undubbed as the last thing I need is a reason to buy it. I'll watch the movie and I may buy it just to represent the entire series.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:36 am Reply with quote
I really hope that all the fans buy the movie now because I would love to see more of the show released. I don't really care if the show gets dubbed or not, but if they do I hope they do it from the beginning because it would be a little strange to have the second season dubbed and not the first one.; also if they do dub it from the beginning I hope that they would do some sort of trade in deal for people who already bought the first season like they did for Clannad.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4