• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Your Top 10 / Worst 5 things. Why? (w/ index).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gewürtztraminer

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 8:11 pm Reply with quote
If the house was burning and I could save 10.

Sorry Wandaba Style, you were edged out by:

10. The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya: Taken as a whole, some of the most interesting and entertaining recent anime works. I am highly interested in seeing how it turns out. I marathoned endless eight, and posted that it was not that bad, not considering having to wait week after week and seeing the same stuff. Still, only this show would have the balls to even attempt such a thing.

9. Clannad (with after story) : The melodrama, overall, probably my safest anime purchases as far as my enjoyment goes, and this one delivers.

8. Millennium Actress: A profoundly interesting movie, with symbolism even I could glean intent from. Highly satisfying and enjoyable.

7. Beck: Having experience with the indie music scene here in Texas (Dallas area Americana bands), a lot in this show was easy to relate to. I consider this easily the best dub ever produced by Funimation. I shudder at what it must have cost them to do the music, the dialog and everything. The only show I know of that can stretch a 4 minute song across most of 2 episodes. Glad it is back in print. You need to own it and I need to rewatch soon.

6. FLCL: There is not a wasted second in these 6 episodes. Greatness from start to finish. A very good dub as well.

5. Porco Rosso: My favorite Miyazaki film. Dubbed or Subbed, both are excellent, though the dub frees you up to take in all the wonderful flying scenes. I was most impressed by the airplane sounds. I grew up in a small west Texas town that had a lot of guys with oil money who collected WW II era aircraft. Hearing the aircraft in this movie was like deja vu. I have heard the same type of engines strain, sputter, and roar while F4U Corsairs and T6 Texans had mock aerial battles over the city.

4. Whisper of the Heart: My favorite Ghibli (no dub for me here, I hate it). A thoroughly charming movie that I never get tired of. The opening scene with Olivia Newton John's version of Country Roads playing to scenes of a Japanese city is brilliant. The song is woven throughout the movie, with many memorable scenes coming with different renditions of it. Both the movie and the song are now intertwined forever in my mind.

3. Maria Watches Over Us: All of it. I can not get enough of Yumi, my favorite character in all anime. The drama catches me every time. I feel what the characters are feeling. If any one of these discs hits the player, I know what I will be doing for the foreseeable future.

2. Aria The Animation: All of it. Similar to Maria Watches Over Us in my reaction to it. I can not describe how much I adored this show, Especially since it has a concrete ending. The main characters of the show are the planet Aqua, and the city Neo-Venencia. That Rightstuf brought this and Marimite over makes any future releases of theirs autobuys for me.

1. Evangelion : (Taken as a whole, The series, End of Evangelion, 1.11, and 2.22) I enjoyed the series two times through, before I finally bit and snagged a copy of EOE before right before it went out of print. Oh my god. Such a strange, profoundly interesting film. Everyone I know takes something different away from it. Whatever else he does, Ano made something really cool there.
The rebuilds, especially building on 2.22 could be even better, though after 2.22, I have no idea what is left to blow the crap out of.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 7:45 am Reply with quote
Arrgh, now you make me regret my choice to blow off seeing Porco Rosso on the big screen. There's a Studio Ghibli retrospective playing at a theatre complex near where i work and I've seen several titles there already. I was supposed to see Porco Rosso on Thursday night, but at the last minute somebody gave me a free ticket to an advance screening of The Raid which was playing at the same time. I did enjoy The Raid immensely, though.
Arkov

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 6:22 am Reply with quote
List, eh? Why not, I'm in the mood for procrastinating. I'll only do 5 of each though. In a very particular order (ie, the order in which I remember them), my top five:

1. Code Geass. This has been the epitome of storytelling to me ever since the first episode. Well, second episode, which I watched first for some reason (same deal with Harry Potter and Deltora Quest, oddly enough).

This was the show that made me realise just how interesting moral ambiguity can be. I was constantly questioning whether or not I liked a particular character due to their actions, and I loved this. Sure, the show has its flaws (I mean, why does anyone bother using attack helicopters), but despite this, it remains my #1 anime (or story in general). (I will note that if it turns out spoiler[Lelouch is alive, the series will be ruined for me]).

2. Steins;Gate. One of the few time-travel pieces that I can stand. If they changed one minor details, it would have been perfect. Great characters that, for the most part, I actually cared about.

3. Baccano! A very unique, fresh way to tell a tale that really made this anime shine. The cast of characters was great, bringing a little bit of everything (apart from comedy, which was brought in spades) to the table, while the mystery behind what transpired strung me along from episode to episode with hardly a blink.

4. Black Lagoon: Dark, witty, laced with subtle hilarity without excluding some profoundly moving moments, Black Lagoon has almost all of its bases covered. Also, gunfights. Need I say more?

5. Samurai Champloo/Cowboy Bebop. I lumped these two together because to me, they're essentially the same thing in a different setting, right down to Steve Blum. Both of these anime manage to tell very episodic tales without neglecting the over-arching story. Unique characters interlaced with some great gun/swordfights, these are the anime to watch when you just want to relax and be entertained.

Honorable mentions to Blood+ and Gundam 00, they only didn't make it because it's been so long since I've seen them.

Bottom five:

1. Claymore. I actually really enjoyed the first ~10 episodes. From there, things started to gradually get worse until the craptastic finale, at which point the entire anime became dead to me. Earned its place due to the snuffing out of such awesome potential.

2. Gantz. This was just one of those anime that I couldn't be bothered finishing. Maybe because my friend spoiled it for me. The only character that I had any sympathy for died halfway through, so I couldn't bring myself to keep going.

3. Fairy Tale. Got 20 eps in and it wasn't doing anything for me. Which was a shame as it had pretty great potential, I just wasn't a fan of the non-animated (show one character posed to attack. Show the effects of the attack. But don't actually show the attacks happening?) fighting scenes and what story there was wasn't nearly enough to engross me (at least Bleach/Naruto managed something in that department).

4. Dragon Ball Z. I have to kick my nostalgia right in the baby maker to say this, it just wasn't good. Way too much talking, way too little fighting. I did try the Japanese version, but oh god, Goku's voice. That said, it was thoroughly enjoyable as a child and it does pain me to put it here. (Also, I somehow feel like I'm betraying DBZ Abridged).

5. Deadman Wonderland. The first couple of episodes were great! But, like Gantz, I couldn't sympathise with any of the characters, in addition to the story itself not interesting me a great deal. Ended up dropping this one a couple of episodes before the end.[/b]
belvadeer

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 2:57 pm Reply with quote
vegetatown wrote:
I honestly think there is a good majority of people that hate the show just because it has the stigma of being "mainstream"--or because they're into girly anime Wink

Dragon Ball Z is not the epitome of manly anime, if that's what you're implying. Not to mention, people can dislike a show for any reason really and it doesn't mean they watch girly anime for disliking it. And lol, your name is vegetatown, you probably have more praise for this show than your ranking for it indicates.
ZephyrSP

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 3:26 pm Reply with quote
Thought this was a good way to warm up the ol' forum posting engine. It's been a long time since I've been an active poster on a message board - I miss it! And since I've in the past few months really gotten back into watching anime, I thought this was the perfect place to get back into both.

Skipping over the obligatory welcome thread post for the moment, I wanted to dive right into what we're all here for - great anime and manga discussion.

Here are my current favorite 5 anime - an amalgamation of nostalgia for old favorites and obsession with new ones.

Baccano - I am head over heels for this show. So smart, so stylish, so riveting. What a perfect blend of action, horror, comedy, and thriller. Every character is memorable and well defined. And without going too overboard with my praise here, the english dub is the best I've heard anywhere. From the first scene of the show, I was absolutely hooked. From Isaac and Miria's first scene, I was in love.

FLCL - This one will always have my heart. It's hard to put into words how much love this show. Chaotic, irreverent, absurd, side splitting hilarious, painfully touching and insightful. What FLCL achieves in 6 episodes is awe inspiring, piloted by Kari Wahlgren's untouchable performance as Haruko (and Barbara Goodson's improbably great delivery of a disaffected 6th grade boy) and ushered by the fantastic music of The Pillows.

Cowboy Bebop - What can be said that hasn't been said 100 times? This was the series that showed me how much more there was to anime than DBZ and Pokemon at an age where I didn't even fully appreciate it. I'm going to sound like an idiot going "style this style that style style style" but what can I say? From the absolutely fantastic "Tank!" opening theme, no show defines and revels in its own style quite like Bebop.

Except...possibly...
Samurai Champloo - Ahem. Where was I. Right. Style. I may have misspoken just now. Cowboy Bebop may be unrivaled on it's whole package - story, characters, setting, action, style, humor - but I'm not sure any show can touch Samurai Champloo on style alone. Helpless, hopeless Watanabe fanboy here.

Black Lagoon - I've always struggled a bit with the ages of anime protagonists skewing young, especially in anime aimed at a slightly older audience than the archetypal shōnen. Mid-twenties Rokuro Okajima may be the most relatable protagonist I've ever come across. Put simply, I am squarely in the crosshairs of this show's target audience, and they nailed it. Love the action, love the characters (Dutch is an all-time favorite), love the mentality of the show.
Masakaki

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 1:58 pm Reply with quote
[edit]

Last edited by Masakaki on Mon Nov 12, 2012 6:08 am; edited 2 times in total
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 2:11 pm Reply with quote
Looks like the last update was page 76, just short of 4 years ago. Well, as they say, it's a lot of thankless work. They'd probably accept an update if a user wanted to catalog the ones since then.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mesonoxian Eve

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 2:26 pm Reply with quote
Since it's been nearly two years I posted, and I've seen some anime in this time, I'm going to update my list now.

10. Ghost Hunt rounds out the top 10 list because this was another surprise hit for me. While I don't imagine a strong re-watch factor will be favored by many, I've had no problems with doing so, especially the story titled "The Bloodstained Labyrinth". Spooky.

9. Soul Eater - "WOW!!!!!!!" was my first impression on the brilliant color scheme and wonderful stories this series delivered me. It made such an impression on me, it's one of the few series I've double-dipped for to get on bluray, which is stunning.

8. Ramen Figher Miki earns a spot because, despite its subjectivity, this is the best damn comedy anime has ever produced. I laughed so hard, I couldn't believe the $10 price hid such a treasure. Like many, I thought the price dictated the suckage it would contain. Boy, was this notion shattered. It's streaming on Crunchyroll. Find out for yourself if it's worth the $10 to own it.

7. Bamboo Blade was a blind buy and it's money I did not waste. This series is exuding with charm as we watch a Kendo club, made of up of 5 girls, work their way to winning tournaments, or not.

6. Azumanga Daioh - It's what Lucky Star is without the constant otaku/anime references. You should not be surprised to see it listed here. A timeless classic.

5. Spice & Wolf - Theron "Key" Martin did a review on this when it was finally released on DVD. When a writer's words can instill a passion through them, I know there's a treasure. Theron's appreciation of the series lead me to a purchase, and I finally appreciated the review in detail. An excellent series.

4. Strike Witches - [censored] Twisted Evil Joking aside, I'm a huge fan of witches, and the second this title was announced, I was in line, ready to pick it up. It's nothing special, but it sure is fun. Even the episode titled "Nice and Breezy" put a smile on my face. It's unfortunate some of the content has pushed the series out of reach of many fans uncomfortable with the cast.

3. Iroha Hanasaku gets third place and much of this is due to the stunning artwork. Oh, and Ohana's personality didn't hurt the ranking, either. Another quality show and I'm going to be extremely pissed off if our local distributors don't pick it up.

2. Lucky Star goes into my history books as the anime series I've watched the most, now well over 100 times. Not only do I find Kagami visually appealing, the series is just pure fun. It's not a coincidence this is another slice-of-life series to make the list. It's only topped by...

1. Aria (The Animation, The Natural, The Origination) - In my opinion, the only masterpiece anime has ever produced. I've seen it described as "Sienfeldian", ala a show about nothing, and for the most part, it's pretty accurate. Each episode stands alone, and as the seasons progress, we watch three young girls achieve their goals. Despite no antagonist to stir things up, I still cried. The ending, especially when Alice sings, is very emotional. Expected when we've spent 3 seasons watching them bond.

Note: Aside from #1, these aren't really in any particular order. I mean, there's Hell Girl, Rozen Maiden, Yuru Yuri, Gosick, Blue Drop, Canaan, Pani Poni Dash, Ouran High School Host Club, and... too many others to list which I could easily swap out in the Top 10.
Smile

As for the Bottom 5:
1. Suzuka - What, you didn't actually think a series would replace this, did you? Even the forewarned "Don't buy it!" Green Green was better than this pile of crap.

2. Green Green - LOL. Just kidding. Second place belongs to Baccano and I can hear the groans now. Sorry, kids, but the sporadic method of this series to tell its story was such a distraction, it was impossible for me to enjoy it. Much like it is for some of you who can't stand the Haruhi episodes being out of order.

I'm going to stop here. Since I blew out my Anime List last year, and am too lazy to restore it, I can't really remember all the titles I've hated to list them here.

I call that a win. Wink
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 6:14 pm Reply with quote
Spastic Minnow wrote:
Looks like the last update was page 76, just short of 4 years ago. Well, as they say, it's a lot of thankless work. They'd probably accept an update if a user wanted to catalog the ones since then.

Yeah, just submit it to a mod.
Errinundra

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:50 pm Reply with quote
Tony K. wrote:
Yeah, just submit it to a mod.

I'm up for it. See you in six weeks! Wink

What I'm doing is I'll list all the post-page 76 update users by alphabetical order on a spreadsheet, then send you updates by letter of the alphabet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 11:27 pm Reply with quote
Thanks a bunch for the effort, and good luck not going crazy Smile.
Errinundra

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 3:36 am Reply with quote
@Tony K.,

I've sent you the first batch by PM. It's the non-alphabetical names.

I'll update this post as I send them to you.

Completed
Non-alphabetical
A
B
C
D
E - that completes Part 1 A-E
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 12:00 pm Reply with quote
Edited.
Errinundra

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 12:17 pm Reply with quote
Completed
F - it's the wee hours of the morning here in Melbourne - I'll continue after some sleep.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 2:06 pm Reply with quote
Done. Thanks again.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 104 of 122