• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! - Know Your Copyrights

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 11:13 am Reply with quote
Missed a closing bold tag.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 11:37 am Reply with quote
If Akamatsu was simply a purveyor of panty shots and gags people would not be pissed. The reason people were pissed at Negima's ending was that most of the plot wasn't finished. From what I heard what is supposed to be the final arc is simply written about in the epilouge.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 11:48 am Reply with quote
I'm STILL going to call bullshit on your critisism of the Redline dub, Brian.
zensunni

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 11:59 am Reply with quote
Brian wrote:
I mean, people cried foul when Puella Madoka Magica was off the simulcasting roster during its Japanese run. It showed up eventually. Yes, yes, I know - dub only. But we did get it, so.

This isn't the first time you have commented on the "dub only" thing. I finally decided I needed to ask the question that comes to mind every time I see you say that: You do realize that Madoka is being streamed on Crackle, Crunchyroll, and Hulu in the subtitled version, right? It is currently up to episode 8 and is available in HD on at least Hulu and CR for subscribers. (Up to 1080p for CR premium members.)
configspace

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 12:37 pm Reply with quote
Certainly not every show is simulcasted. Many perhaps are, but you still can't claim that a cited show is the exception to the rule since there's always a fair amount that aren't.

I also think the story about Ken Akamatsu's feud has more credence, at least in terms of his stated views (I have no idea about the details of the law cited), since he's well known for his comments about the industry for a while now and that he's setup his own alternative publishing site: http://www.j-comi.jp/ So the speculation about the motive for ending Negima makes some sense
kamanashi

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 1:22 pm Reply with quote
configspace wrote:
Certainly not every show is simulcasted. Many perhaps are, but you still can't claim that a cited show is the exception to the rule since there's always a fair amount that aren't.

To be honest, he is Brian is right. There are very few that aren't simulcast anymore. 18 out of the 27 (Doesn't include the Nichijou rerun) on the list below from Winter 2012 were simulcast. That leaves only 9 shows not simulcast. Out of those 9 not simulcast, I would expect that at least half will be released on DVD in the US one day, or even picked up by Crunchyroll at a later date similar to how H2O Footprints In The Sand was.

Fansubs honestly have no reason to exist in such an abundance anymore. Yes, there are some anime that never make it over, but it is typically the stuff that no one ever wants to watch.

http://www.dreamsmabinogi.com/t1092-winter-anime-chart-2012
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 1:38 pm Reply with quote
From the article:
Quote:
I mean, people cried foul when Puella Madoka Magica was off the simulcasting roster during its Japanese run. It showed up eventually. Yes, yes, I know - dub only.

Aside from the subtitled streams mentioned above, when I check the listing for the series at RightStuf.com, I see "Spoken Languages: English, Japanese, English subtitles" for both the Blu-ray and DVD.
Shenl742

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 1:43 pm Reply with quote
TheAncientOne wrote:
From the article:
Quote:
I mean, people cried foul when Puella Madoka Magica was off the simulcasting roster during its Japanese run. It showed up eventually. Yes, yes, I know - dub only.

Aside from the subtitled streams mentioned above, when I check the listing for the series at RightStuf.com, I see "Spoken Languages: English, Japanese, English subtitles" for both the Blu-ray and DVD.

I think he meant "It showed up [for streaming] eventually. Yes, yes, I know - dub only"
TitanXL

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 1:48 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
To be honest, he is Brian is right. There are very few that aren't simulcast anymore. 18 out of the 27 (Doesn't include the Nichijou rerun) on the list below from Winter 2012 were simulcast. That leaves only 9 shows not simulcast. Out of those 9 not simulcast, I would expect that at least half will be released on DVD in the US one day, or even picked up by Crunchyroll at a later date similar to how H2O Footprints In The Sand was.

9 is a pretty huge number, you know. And when we're dealing with things like Madoka and Lupin, one show alone can be a huge deal, let alone getting in the double digits. (This also doesn't take into consideration streams which are edited like Persona 4 was, or the other shows that are always currently airing with no legal sub option like Detective Conan, Pocket Monsters, Yu-Gi-Oh, etc.

Also, for the record, that chart is missing a few other shows that premiered in Winter, like Danball Senki W, which are also not streamed. It's really more in the teens.

Quote:
Fansubs honestly have no reason to exist in such an abundance anymore. Yes, there are some anime that never make it over, but it is typically the stuff that no one ever wants to watch.

Now that's an ignorant and dismissive statement. No one wants to watch the annual PreCure, really? Despite it being huge in many other countries? I doubt that. Just because you don't like those shows doesn't mean other people won't.
Petrea Mitchell

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 2:01 pm Reply with quote
Shenl742 wrote:
I think he meant "It showed up [for streaming] eventually. Yes, yes, I know - dub only"

That's how I read it too, but because of that I need to ask: So is the subtitled stream I'm watching on Crunchyroll originating from another universe or something?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
11G4GUNOT

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 2:10 pm Reply with quote
@1st about copyright
I receive only a dozen copyrights and got DMCA'd online and either have to stop or pay (sorry I'm new at this)
speaking about this a new bill besides ACTA there's already several copyright bills however it's frustrating.

@2nd about fansub rants
I either watch it or not except I don't watch fansubs tried download it, go onto different anime sites until i see a possible way like crunchyroll, hulu, YouTube and crackle and there's no way I'll going to download any more torrents and MKV anymore because of my limitation of my ISP data rates. so I might sometimes choose what DVD anime should i buy until I seen the news of DVD anime sales is online and conventions.

@3rd about sub debate
whenever there's movies there's more than 1 different versions.
so there's nothing wrong about different versions otherwise it's bad.

@the rest
fansubbing is what stops me from watching both good and bad anime contenders.
like I watch a talk show got fandubbed and got a same reaction in a different language and that stops my interest of all from last week.
btw everything i post is all my opinions. thanks
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 2:33 pm Reply with quote
Yes, it is impossible to be completely unbiased. However that's no excuse to not try to be as unbiased as possible, especially when it comes to professional reviews.
Ojamajo LimePie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 3:41 pm Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
No one wants to watch the annual PreCure, really?

Me, me, me! I want to watch it! (And I do.)
ConanSan

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 3:48 pm Reply with quote
Man First I head of this so called "Neighbouring copyright" thing. You'd figgure there would have been a bigger stink about it given the mass effect tastic ending of Negima.
configspace

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 4:09 pm Reply with quote
kamanashi wrote:
configspace wrote:

There are 42 shows this season, from ANN's own season feature list, and 20 that are not simulcasted using the news so far up to today (so I included Sankarea), *and* I'm being generous by excluding shows from the no-show list that I think will be simulcasted like Fate/Zero 2 and Rock Lee and Lupin III, as well as a couple ongoing franchises.

So like I mentioned, yes there are many picked up, but there IS still a significant amount not simulcasted, every season, contrary to Brian's claim that virtually everything is simulcasted, thereby precluding the usefulness of fansubs:
Quote:
But just for this one specific show. It's a big show, don't get me wrong, but it's still just one show. One high-profile title slipping through the simulcasting cracks does not a fansub cause célèbre make.

Furthermore, of the shows that aren't picked up every season, you mentioned "one day" they'll be picked up, but that misses the point that was made about fansubs. Just look at how Aniplex went ahead and simulcasted Nisemonogatari without Bakemonogatari (~3 years now), since they (rightfully) assumed that most have already watched it.

I'm still waiting for Ladies vs Butlers, Qwaser 1,2, Manyuu Hikenchou, Shakugan no Shana sequels, and Higurashi related anime.

Yeah, I guess we can wait 5, 10, 15 years, but again, that misses the point . I'd also venture to say, the older the show not streamed or the more popular, that has been licensed, the more likely it is to already be seen. I bet most people who'll be buying Lovely Complex have already seen it, as evidenced by the Discotek license thread.

Since you mentioned DVD/BD releases and old show like H20 that CR later picked up a couple years later for streaming, there's still no guarantee or increased likelihood of being licensed for video either.

Lots of unlicensed shows randomly off the top of my head, a few recent, most old... where's Hyakko, School Days, Myself; Yourself, Asura Cryin 1,2, Canvas 2, Rio Rainbow Gate, Lilpri, Sketchbook Full Colors, Shugo Chara, R-15, Itsuten, Letter Bee, Rio Rainbow Gate, 07 Ghost, Mashiroiro Symphony, Natsu no Arashi 1,2, Astarotte's Toy, Juden-chan, Chu-Bra, etc, etc,
... not to mention all the sports titles?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4