• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Sakura-Con 2012 - NIS America

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
machetecat

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 2:39 pm Reply with quote
So like... was there a Q&A? Did ANYONE mention Natsume's Book of Friends?

Anyone? ...anyone at all?
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 3:41 pm Reply with quote
I also really want to know about Natsume Yuujinchou, I can't believe an entire panel went by and no one asked about it. It's been so long since they mentioned the license and no news at all.
blaizevincent

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 4:12 pm Reply with quote
I love hearing NIS speaking this way about their Buisness Strategies. Makes me confident they are conducting themselves well within their means and looks like they will be around for a while to come.

Wasn't expecting an Announcement since we got 2 announcements a week or so ago.

Would love for them to have a look at the Siren Visual English Excuslives from OZ.

Trapeze,Usagi Drop,Tatami Galaxy(UK too) as well as Dennou Coil.
GATSU

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 5:35 pm Reply with quote
No Enma love?
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 6:11 pm Reply with quote
Sorry NIS, you can spout out all the excuses that you want, but until I see some English dubs, you're not getting one red cent from my pocket. Confused
Melanchthon

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 7:24 pm Reply with quote
Thank you NISA, for not giving into the incomprehensible demands of the dub fanatics and sticking to your successful business model. Keep up the good work, and the true anime fans will keep buying.

Quote:
In fact, he listed his personal preference as both “boobs and butts.”

Wow! Those are my favorites too!
configspace

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 10:34 pm Reply with quote
I wish there were video of these! Sounds like a refreshingly candid panel. I can't believe he actually asked how many have already seen AnoHana Very Happy It's great to hear they're doing well.

It's also good that they've gotten the blu-ray for Kimi ni Todoke since only the DVD was available in Japan at the time last year for the first season.

Melanchthon wrote:
Quote:

you too? who'd a thunk, me too!
wandering-dreamer

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 11:50 pm Reply with quote
Melanchthon wrote:
Quote:

I'm surprised that anyone said they were "anti-fanservice", Occult Academy had it's share of "boobs and butts" in the show (well, "boobs and thigh" but I digress), it just wasn't a show that was pure fanservice.

And add me to the group wondering about Natsume, normally I wouldn't mind since it was only announced three months ago but since they announce other titles and release dates I am a bit puzzled, maybe they're still wondering whether to release it in one or two cour sets?
burnpsy

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 11:58 pm Reply with quote
Nice to hear that NIS actually goes to read the source material before translating. Just makes me more confident in picking up the stuff they release somewhere down the line.
boredandlazy

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 1:40 am Reply with quote
SpacemanHardy wrote:
Sorry NIS, you can spout out all the excuses that you want, but until I see some English dubs, you're not getting one red cent from my pocket. Confused

Well until your 'red cent' can fund an English dub for an entire anime series NISA will be just fine with that.
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 4:29 am Reply with quote
wandering-dreamer wrote:
.....And add me to the group wondering about Natsume, normally I wouldn't mind since it was only announced three months ago but since they announce other titles and release dates I am a bit puzzled, maybe they're still wondering whether to release it in one or two cour sets?

This is very curious to me as well. Maybe if we wrote them letters about a release date, they might respond in some way.

[email protected]

The report from the panel seems rather condensed. I can't see how they spent so much of the time discussing whether they were anti-fanservice or not..... Confused
blaizevincent

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 5:33 am Reply with quote
tuxedocat wrote:
wandering-dreamer wrote:
.....And add me to the group wondering about Natsume, normally I wouldn't mind since it was only announced three months ago but since they announce other titles and release dates I am a bit puzzled, maybe they're still wondering whether to release it in one or two cour sets?

This is very curious to me as well. Maybe if we wrote them letters about a release date, they might respond in some way.

[email protected]

The report from the panel seems rather condensed. I can't see how they spent so much of the time discussing whether they were anti-fanservice or not..... Confused

it maybe just taking a while for them to get the Prints. Sometimes these things take longer. Daily Lives of Highschool Boys and Brave 10 and Natsume are all officially listed on the NIS website so there isnt too much to worry about i think. Sadly tho' Enma-Kun is nowhere to be seen. And we heard about it ages ago. Altho' it was joked that Enma-Kun wouldnt be heard of again until Anime Expo the following year (this year).

Since they licensed all seasons of Natsume it is a bit of a bigger task for them i imagine. Another reason could be that a current season is on in Japan right now and perhaps getting the assets is difficult while the show is still on japan. Perhaps once its finished assuming it hasn't already i cant remember, we'll hear news of it. I expect sometime Around or at Anime Expo to hear about it. Cause by then everything else other than those mentioned will be out.
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 8:20 am Reply with quote
SpacemanHardy wrote:
Sorry NIS, you can spout out all the excuses that you want, but until I see some English dubs, you're not getting one red cent from my pocket. :?

I love how we've gone from "dubs always depart from the original meaning, so I'm not buying" to "no dub, so I'm not buying".
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 11:52 am Reply with quote
boredandlazy wrote:
SpacemanHardy wrote:

Well until your 'red cent' can fund an English dub for an entire anime series NISA will be just fine with that.

Actually now that you mention it, with the rise of Kickstarter and other donation sites, I would totally get behind the concept of "fan-funded dubs".

There have already been quite a few requests for NIS to start dubbing their shows (there have been a LOT of people wanting one for Toradora in particular), so if they were to set up a Kickstarter drive to raise money for funding a dub for some of their shows, it would give the fans to put their money where their mouth is. If NIS did something like that, I would GLADLY throw in a nice contribution.

After all, it worked for Double Fine, right?

Besides, after all the recent success that NIS has gotten over the last year, I don't really think the "we don't have enough money" excuse holds up much water anymore. Toradora and Working have both sold like hot cakes, and AnoHana is already one of the most pre-ordered titles on RightStuf. They HAVE money now. They just prefer to spend it on those dumb giant boxes and those fancy-shmancy art books that 90% of people will look at once and then put them on their shelf to collect dust. Not only that, but they REALLY need to work on their quality control for initial product shipments, so they don't keep wasting money on returns for faulty product.

In my opinion, if NIS really wants to "offer something you won't just say goodbye to", then they really should start dubbing their shows. That at least gives the viewers a reason to watch the show again at least once more, if for no other reason than to compare the differences in the two language tracks. Some commentaries and behind the scenes features would be neat too. Unlike artbooks where you'll look at it once or twice and probably never touch it again, those kinds of special features actually encourage repeat viewings of the show itself, and isn't that really the most important thing about buying a show you love anyways?

That's just my piece in the matter. To be honest, most of the shows that NIS licenses really aren't my cup of tea anyways, so it doesn't really effect me all that much.

I'm just REALLY steamed about Pandora Hearts (a show that's BASED IN A BRITISH SCENARIO) and Brave 10 not getting a dub. Mad
Tamaria

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 12:17 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
They just prefer to spend it on those dumb giant boxes and those fancy-shmancy art books that 90% of people will look at once and then put them on their shelf to collect dust. Not only that, but they REALLY need to work on their quality control for initial product shipments, so they don't keep wasting money on returns for faulty product.

What if those big dumb boxes help sell their series? I mean, there's a good chance they do, because NISA is trying to distinguish their product from streams/fansubs by turning it into a (affordable!) collector's item. And if their quality control is really that bad, shouldn't they be spending the extra cash on that instead?

In any case, they're making money with their 'fancy box, no subs' approach. If something sells well, it's because people want it. Why change the formula?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2