• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Milos & Otis

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CrownKlown

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 3:44 pm Reply with quote
The fullmetal alchemist is a standalone story that takes place before the conclusion of a series that has ended. This can be nothing but rental at best. Its not a prequel, its not a sequel, its just a cheap grab to make a little more money on a series, with out adding anything new.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 4:08 pm Reply with quote
As far as recommending SnO for boobs, nope. No nudity means it fails even for fanservice. I would rather revisit Qwaser, Manyuu Hikenchou, and Ladies Versus Butlers to get that fill, and they're all better shows to boot. I've just never found any compassion or care for the SnO cast, and I especially dislike the abortion of a character that is Tomoki. If you're going to be a pervert, go all the way like Aoi Tori or Keita Kawahira. In fact, Jun Fukuyama always plays the best perverts.
neocloud9

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 4:18 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Next week I'll see you guys with a look at Ōkami-san & Her Seven Companions.

Thank goodness! I've been curious about that series for some time now (the premise sounds kinda interesting and I like what I've seen of the art style) but without any reviews to persuade me yea or nay, I've been stuck in purchasing limbo.
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 4:30 pm Reply with quote
CrownKlown wrote:
The fullmetal alchemist is a standalone story that takes place before the conclusion of a series that has ended. This can be nothing but rental at best. Its not a prequel, its not a sequel, its just a cheap grab to make a little more money on a series, with out adding anything new.

do you see all filler/fluff as that or no?

I personally thought they did a good job with it, the ending sequence was well done I thought and the movie did a great job at capturing a lot of what makes FMA a strong series. it is light on philosophy, but it's a movie so... I would agree with bamboo that it fits within the series nicely and I thought the world building was well done.
I do still have some problems with it though.
I felt like they were really try to wratch it up the violence/ death in this movie to make up for the lack of philosophy. I also wish that the alchemy of new characters didn't look like force lighting or beam based powers. I also had one problem with one plot turn in the ending of the movie because I found spoiler[that when the new female lead ate the star, she didn't become a homunculus but a far more extreme version of myself.] after the movie though I did feel like I got mind BEEPED so take that for what you will. and I would agree that it was due to the writing being good. I do wish though the movie had not gone so morbid in the end.
JoePianist

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 4:40 pm Reply with quote
I like the word-play in this week's title for Shelf Life.
Raikuro

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 5:06 pm Reply with quote
Tanteikingdomkey wrote:

I also had one problem with one plot turn in the ending of the movie because I found spoiler[that when the new female lead ate the star, she didn't become a homunculus but a far more extreme version of myself.]

spoiler[Humans only become homunculi if they have the liquid stone injected into their bloodstream and survive. That's why Kimblee doesn't turn into one when he ingests a solid stone in the series.]
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 5:11 pm Reply with quote
Raikuro wrote:
Tanteikingdomkey wrote:

I also had one problem with one plot turn in the ending of the movie because I found spoiler[that when the new female lead ate the star, she didn't become a homunculus but a far more extreme version of myself.]

spoiler[Humans only become homunculi if they have the liquid stone injected into their bloodstream and survive. That's why Kimblee doesn't turn into one when he ingests a solid stone in the series.]

OH OK never mind them that makes sense, then did the same thing happen to him then? because I remember that character as a lunatic
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 5:16 pm Reply with quote
neocloud9 wrote:
Quote:

Thank goodness! I've been curious about that series for some time now (the premise sounds kinda interesting and I like what I've seen of the art style) but without any reviews to persuade me yea or nay, I've been stuck in purchasing limbo.

Its spectacularly average.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 5:18 pm Reply with quote
Reverse the ratings and we're OK. FMA Movie is SHELF WORTHY?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! Wow, there really is no account for taste.

As for SnO Forte: Tomo's interests are completely normal. The way he goes about them, is NOT. Let me explain:

Interest: Wanting to peep at girls while they are changing/bathing.
Normal approach: Peeping at girls while they are changing/bathing.
Tomo's approach: Spending 6 months building an elaborate system of lens-tubes to peep anywhere from his bedroom.

Get the picture?
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 5:24 pm Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
Reverse the ratings and we're OK. FMA Movie is SHELF WORTHY?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! Wow, there really is no account for taste.

As for SnO Forte: Tomo's interests are completely normal. The way he goes about them, is NOT. Let me explain:

Interest: Wanting to peep at girls while they are changing/bathing.
Normal approach: Peeping at girls while they are changing/bathing.
Tomo's approach: Spending 6 months building an elaborate system of lens-tubes to peep anywhere from his bedroom.

Get the picture?

Oh I think the ratings are spot on and are in line with other review that I have seen for the series.
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 5:25 pm Reply with quote
I love the SnO franchise. Nymph is one of my top 10 anime girls, and its actually a really funny show with very high production values for an ecchi show. The only real problem I have with it is a lack of nipples, but I don't really mind so much. Thats what the doujins are for.

Last edited by RyanSaotome on Mon May 14, 2012 5:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
partially

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 5:27 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
neocloud9 wrote:
Quote:

Its spectacularly average.

Really I have been enjoying it. Although I have only seen a couple of episodes in the set so far. Average certainly, not quite spectacularly so though Razz

@Shelf Owner, I think it is time you invest in a set of wider shelves. Even you regular DVDs are hanging over the edge. Those poor NISA sets are crying.

Last edited by partially on Mon May 14, 2012 5:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 5:33 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
I love the SnO franchise. Nymph is one of my top 10 anime girls and its actually a really funny show and its production values are very high for an ecchi show. The only real problem I have with it is a lack of nipples, but I don't really mind so much. Thats what the doujins are for.

Nymph is amazing and wonderful and glorious. Easily the best character in the show, and one of my just general favorite characters in anything.
notazaku

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 5:34 pm Reply with quote
neocloud9 wrote:
Quote:

For the most part it's a silly riff on classic fairytales, but the main storyline is kind of dark and serious and the conclusion gave me mixed feelings about the show overall. spoiler[The female lead, Ryoko, is abused (possibly raped) in her past and never really moves beyond being a victim. She is powerless in the face of her abuser and gets kidnapped by him more than once. I mean it's certainly not a story about empowering a victim. I wanted to see her stand up for herself but that just never happened.] Anyway we'll see what Erin thinks about it next week.
Thatguy3331

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 5:54 pm Reply with quote
I'm glad SOMEONE here can see this movie for what it is: a basic shounen-esct movie. but its a DAMN good one and fitting for FMA. I guess everyone was pissed off that it didn't have continuity, and I was honetly ticked at first, but my general thing with anime movies, ESPECIALLY shounen-esct ones are this: If the plot is interesting and entertains me I'll watch it and more than likely like it.

I saw this in theaters first and while I was offset at the sketchy artstyle, I was quickly swayed into the awsome action animations and it made me respect the sketch style alot more.

People also seem to be preachy about how their oh so "more deep and meaningful than anything else" series got made into a movie for people to enjoy. Guys. Its a Anime franchise. Which is made to make MONEY. Deal.

as for SnO I'd definetly rent it. I definetly agree that if you want to see boobs, go find some xxx site or get hooked up. don't friggin tease. I do however find it funny, so I'll give it that, and heck the uprising on fanservice will more than likely get SOMEONE "in the mood". On other thing in a negitive light though is that tomoki is definetly not sympathizable anymore. Even in the manga, he thinks with his d*** first and his brain seemed to have dissappeared. I personally hate these sort of characters sometimes as its like they are completely devoid of common sense and for the most dumbest reasons. Hell I doubt typical dumb shounen heros would make the mistakes this guy makes!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7