• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Adult Swim's Toonami Block to Air Casshern Sins, Deadman Wonderland

Goto page   Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 12:36 pm Reply with quote
Not exactly the best lineup, but I hope it goes well for them. According to his other tweets, they've got barely any money right now and they need to prove they can pull in the ratings to be able to make Toonami a bigger thing, so they're banking on these 2 shows to bring back Toonami as we know it.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 12:38 pm Reply with quote
Casshern's an interesting choice. It's a one half existential journey anime with beautiful art-direction, and one half robot-killing with gorgeous animation. Kind of like Wolf's Rain crossed with the 90s OVA, but less furry appeal. Unfortunately for Toonami faithful, I do think you need to have seen that OVA to understand SINS a little better, I would have enjoyed it less without that extra knowledge of the character and the universe beforehand, even if the two series have a bit of a disconnect. Deadman Wonderland was just crap though, sorry.

Last edited by walw6pK4Alo on Mon May 21, 2012 12:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 12:41 pm Reply with quote
Well my enthusiasim for Toonami just dropped like a rock, this is the same crap that has been failing to deliver for the past 7 years. Adult Swim knows what works and what doesn't and yet they continue to only get what they want and not what their audience wants.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 12:41 pm Reply with quote
Good to see Casshern Sins getting more exposure. The people who grew up watching Inuyasha should recognize the music (same composer). And if their tastes have grown too, then maybe they'll even end up liking the show for what it is.
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 12:42 pm Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:
Well my enthusiasim for Toonami just dropped like a rock, this is the same crap that has been failing to deliver for the past 7 years. Adult Swim knows what works and what doesn't and yet they continue to only get what they want and not what their audience wants.

Casshern Sins will probably do badly, but I expect Deadman Wonderland to be a hit for them. It appeals to the same kind of casual fans who loved Elfen Lied, after all.
BlackJaded

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 12:43 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
Not exactly the best lineup, but I hope it goes well for them. According to his other tweets, they've got barely any money right now and they need to prove they can pull in the ratings to be able to make Toonami a bigger thing, so they're banking on these 2 shows to bring back Toonami as we know it.

Well their not gonna put any faith on these two shows, believe they make more announcements later this week till Saturday.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 12:45 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
Charred Knight wrote:

Casshern Sins will probably do badly, but I expect Deadman Wonderland to be a hit for them. It appeals to the same kind of casual fans who loved Elfen Lied, after all.

That didn't exactly air on Adult Swim now did it. I am just looking at what worked for AS, and Toonami in the past.
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 12:46 pm Reply with quote
When will they stop airing Cowboy Bebop? ENOUGH ALREADY, WE KNOW HOW IT ENDS!!

Jeez, it's like they want the block to fail miserably. What stinker choices.
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 12:48 pm Reply with quote
If it's shock value then I think the toonami viewers will prefer DMW but if the viewers are made up of people that grewup on GitS and Beboy then I think Sins will get better ratings.
It will be interesting to see what kind of support those shows do earn.
publicenemy333

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 12:50 pm Reply with quote
Never seen Casshern Sins, but I do like Deadman Wonderland. Im guessing the rest will be some of the older shows from before. Im still curious about the "original" anime. Guessin we wont be seeing that for awhile though.

We're gonna have to keep supporting if we want Toonami at a better time though. These people probably had to jump through hurdles just to get it back at 12:00 am. Hopefully the network executives could be convinced to support it better.

With luck, we might get it on the weekdays too. Even if the weekday airings arent as convinient for us anymore, its a good way to the the younger viewers into anime like it got us when we were young. And we could have the saturday night ones to show us the (slightly more) uncensored versions.
phoenixalia

I know nothing about these two shows but I hope it goes well for Toonami. I'm sure if they get more money they'll get better shows.

So...budget problems. this means they probably won't get fairy tail.
RyanSaotome

publicenemy333 wrote:
Never seen Casshern Sins, but I do like Deadman Wonderland. Im guessing the rest will be some of the older shows from before. Im still curious about the "original" anime. Guessin we wont be seeing that for awhile though.

https://twitter.com/#!/Clarknova1/status/204624211082350593

"That was PR-speak that ended up being confusing. Sorry about that. NO ORIGINALS. Just new acquisitions."

No original shows, since some people misread that.
Arsenette

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 12:51 pm Reply with quote
Hmm that's Adult Swim.. do we know what Toonami during the day will carry?
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 12:51 pm Reply with quote
phoenixalia wrote:
I know nothing about these two shows but I hope it goes well for Toonami. I'm sure if they get more money they'll get better shows.

So...budget problems. this means they probably won't get fairy tail.

Or Highschool of the Dead, or another Gundam, or........
GWOtaku

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 12:53 pm Reply with quote
Deadman Wonderland is a surprising and good pick. Between that and Bleach the first third of Toonami could be called "The Hour Of Blood, Hosted By TOM". Wink I've been meaning to see all of that.

The dub cast was never announced AFAIK...this one sure was kept under the radar.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page   Next
Page 1 of 17