• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What did you think about Evangelion 2.2's music of choice?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Polls
View previous topic :: View next topic  

As the title says.
awful
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
bad
5%
 5%  [ 2 ]
okay
10%
 10%  [ 4 ]
good
37%
 37%  [ 15 ]
amazing
40%
 40%  [ 16 ]
I don't have ears
7%
 7%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 40

egoist

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 6:09 pm Reply with quote
I'll have to choose bad. While I don't consider it bad, it entirely ruins the excitement. That music could easily fit after the action / tense scenes.
Vhaeraun

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:12 am Reply with quote
I found the songs to bring a nice counterpoint to the action. Granted, it felt odd at first to be listening to the song during what was going on, I felt it portrayed the hopelessness of the situations.
damien007

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 3:19 am Reply with quote
I agree with the above. The whole point of the music was to play to the the psychological aspects of the scene. And i feel it did that quite well by cotrasting the situation's in the movie. Action should always come second to the psychological aspects when dealing with evangelion (IMO).
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 5:22 pm Reply with quote
Are we talking about a particular scene, or just in general? I can see why people might have a problem with the use of softer songs during two particular scenes (Eva Unit 01 being controlled to destroy 04 and the finale), as it is soundtrack dissonance. However, I'd even stick up for that. Otherwise, the rest of the action scenes have truly amazing music that I can't see anyone having trouble with. It's the kind of music they would use in the TV series, but on a grander scale.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 5:42 pm Reply with quote
I know I should take polls more seriously, but I did laugh at the choice of having no ears. Yeah I choose that one, but to be honest I haven't had a chance to watch 2.2.

But the music from Evangelion 1.1 was quite terrific, so I find it hard for the score to change that much. But then again, that does happen from time to time, for better or worse.
egoist

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 5:42 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, to be more specific the music during 2 action scenes. I can't call the music itself bad, but the combination really killed it. Which is why I said they could use the music after the action, but rather, they just engulfed the whole thing with it.
The movie as a whole, though, was a masterpiece.
FullTilt

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 6:59 pm Reply with quote
Ehh, the music in the action scenes was alright. I didn't feel it really added anything... there was no emotional buildup, y'know? It sort of detracted from the mood.

If we're talking ending themes, though... I absolutely love 'Beautiful World'. Very Happy

Amazing song for an amazing movie.
egoist

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 8:41 pm Reply with quote
I still fail to see the point in creating bots that will only choose the first option.
jmfsilenthill

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 9:00 pm Reply with quote
I chose okay, mainly because the music piece itself was fine, but it did not pair with the scene at all. In fact, while I was watching this at the theater, a bunch of weaboo girls laughed their asses off at it, and then the rest of the audience started to laugh (I didn't, I was just f*cking annoyed). So I guess the choice of music backfired there, at least with that audience. I think I'd actually rate it bad when I really think about it Laughing .
Vracer111

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 10:05 pm Reply with quote
The music in Evangelion 2.22 is a stroke of genious... kid's singing the song "Kyou no Hi wa Sayounara" as Shinji's unit 1 in Dummy mode rips into Asuka's compromised unit 3. With the controls being locked out Shinji is unable to help, but desperatly trying to do anything he can....and then 'crunch'!

That scene has deep IMPACT!

And then "Tsubasa wo Kudasai" plays during the final Rei & Shinji sequence where Shinji makes a stand to risk all and save Rei.... IMPACT a second time!

Talk about unforgettable musical score impact in the last half of Evangelion 2.22! (along with the beginning of the Third Impact... Wink )
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 2:15 am Reply with quote
When I see an action scene in anime, I prefer to have the music being used to be something suspenseful or anything that will build up intensity over the events taking place. Eva 2.22's musical choices for the mentioned final scenes don't really offer any buildup or energy and were way too joyful with the mood that was supposed to be conveyed within them.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:06 pm Reply with quote
I enjoyed all of the music but the Dummy Plug battle song was just... it was a good song but a terrible fit for the scene. I think Womanizer and Toxic by Britney Spears are pretty great songs, but I wouldn't want to hear them during a shoot out in Terminator 2 or hear some Justin Timberlake "Rock Your Body" during the spinning hallway battle in Inception. That dummy plug battle music was like that to me.

That scene that was my favorite scene from the Tv series by far and that music ruined it in the movie.
RGaspar

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 11:05 am Reply with quote
Man, I loved Eva 2.22's score.

They sound even better when you listen to them outside the movie (as in OST Razz). I really, really, really like the songs here.

And the final theme gave me goosebumps. It works very well as that dissonant effect Penguintruth talked about, but I instantly related it to The End of Evangelion Razz

2.22 soundtrack is an improvement over 1.0, imo, and that one had a pretty good OST.
egoist

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 2:00 pm Reply with quote
I really started liking the music after watching it a few times. Well played.

Could have something to do with my somewhat recent change of taste in music. Going more for classic music and music made before 2000.
Ambimunch

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 3:28 am Reply with quote
egoist wrote:
I really started liking the music after watching it a few times. Well played.

Could have something to do with my somewhat recent change of taste in music. Going more for classic music and music made before 2000.

Listen to the 3.0 soundtrack, its fantastic~~ They got Beethoven in there
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Polls All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1