• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! [2005-12-02]

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 12:22 am Reply with quote
Well, Season 0 is a less tame than the main 250-episode drag. Of course, I almost have to cite the incident where spoiler[Yami Yugi is able to get a fugitive to set himself on fire using vodka and a lighter.] Of course, the series' focus is more on other games than just cards, so that allows for a bit more creativity in the scenarios.

And the episode of FMA that was just recently shown on AS had a lot of filler.
Sakura Shinguji

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 1:15 am Reply with quote
While it does seem awfully wasteful for Geneon to create special edition packaging that makes the keepcases the individual discs come in redundant, at the same time it's not like we're paying anything extra for those keepcases so I'm not entirely sure if it's such a big thing to worry about. Granted, there's the issue of not being able to have the artwork around (and I'm as big a cover art whore as there ever was, unless it's horrendously ugly like those wonderful Boys Over Flowers covers Viz dug out from under a rock somewhere), but at least with Stellvia, Geneon was conscientious enough to put the front cover art (which is really all most of us want when we talk about good cover art) on the thin packs in the tin.

I'll readily admit, though, that I like gimmicky stuff like the Stellvia tin and the DVD Books for R.O.D the TV and Kyo Kara Maoh! and the series digipak for Requiem from the Darkness, so feel free to dismiss my rambling justification. Anime smallmouth + sweatdrop

Also, the way I see it, it's like getting great keepcases for free. Lord knows Bandai and their replicators have been amazingly unable to use keepcases of decent quality for their discs for the past couple of years now, so it's good to have replacements.
naushika

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 1:43 am Reply with quote
Haha. That David Hasselhoff photo made me laugh. But I've seen worse. Try David Hasselhoff covered with "strategically-placed puppies" while he's stark naked. Shocked Yup. There exists such a photo. Anyone know what I'm talking about? Its quite disturbing... Laughing
Haru to Ashura

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 2:21 am Reply with quote
Quote:
I never thought I'd see the day when someone complained about photos of kittens.

Now we want to see a Gemsbok. And a Chinese Leopard. And Let's throw in a peacock or two, just for good measure.

Laughing Teasing, just teasing. Good read as always.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
UltimaShadowfax

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 2:29 am Reply with quote
Yeah . . . I can remember a couple episodes in FMA that didn't have anything to do with the main plot and/or was filler between segments that followed the manga.
Advent_Nebula

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 2:38 am Reply with quote
I have my eye on that Robotech boxset.

Zac, is their a limit to how many captions we can send in?
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 2:55 am Reply with quote
Advent_Nebula wrote:

Nope, no limit at all.

But I do encourage you to send your captions in a single email, rather than flooding my inbox with a million messages.

Still, no matter how you do it, I read each and every entry.
PantsGoblin
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 2:59 am Reply with quote
Sweet! Thanks for the puppies! Very Happy I wasn't expecting that.
Maceart

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 3:11 am Reply with quote
For your information, Manwha is also Mandarin for "comic books".
Advent_Nebula

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 3:13 am Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Advent_Nebula wrote:

Nope, no limit at all.

But I do encourage you to send your captions in a single email, rather than flooding my inbox with a million messages.

Still, no matter how you do it, I read each and every entry.

I'll keep that in mind, thanks Zac.
cherry_blossom

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 3:29 am Reply with quote
I despise dogs. More kittens please.

That is all.
Ohoni

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 3:45 am Reply with quote
Yeah, I have to say, if you actually watch the first series of Yugioh before passing judgement on it, you'll find that he spends very little of the time playing duel monsters (most of it is simple games of chance), and the themes are considerably darker, with the outcomes of the fights leaving his opponents quite dead, quite mad, or quite souless. Now they could certainly edit a lot of that out with talk of "shadow realms" and whatnot, but left intact it was certainly much more serious and demented than the average later episode. I don't feel any particular need for them to bring it over though.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 3:58 am Reply with quote
Although there is very little filler in FMA, there is some filler. The first "filler episode" is probably the Psiren episode. Although, the Elrics do get the tip about Zenotime from Psiren, and that leads to two-part mini-arc with the Tringam brothers. The second is episode 26, "Her Choice", the episode with Paninya, the girl that can fire a rocket from her auto-mail leg. Completely pointless, and actually the single black splotch on an otherwise brilliant series. Then there is the Lust episode. Nothing important there. The whole disease outbreak isn't even really explained - how did the homonuculi create that? And then there's the Roy episode, but that has important actions in it between humorous scenes (and at the end), to give it a point. After that, I can't think of any other filler episodes.

FMA: 4 filler episodes.

Cowboy Bebop gets some flak for being "too episodic", but you have to look at what the series is about - bounty hunters. They live from bounty to bounty, and so their very lives are episodic. There is an underlying story arc about Spike's past, but there's really no "filler" per se. The series is mostly a series of stand alones about the antics of the Bebop crew.

Nobody ever accuses Lupin III of having "filler".
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
shadow_guyver

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 4:09 am Reply with quote
NOOOOOOO! I demand the immediate return of kitty pictures! Kitties are by far the cutest.

Anyway, I really wish I could make jokes for that Robotech picture, but nothings coming. Sigh.
exukvera

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 4:47 am Reply with quote
You' ve forgotten about FMA episode 37. Three hilarious little stories about Mustang's troupe without any link to the main story.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4