• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Hikaru no Go Licensor Announced

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LordRobin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2003 6:05 pm Reply with quote
This is why I shouldn't watch fansubs.

On the one hand, I'm thrilled that I'm going to be able to buy this awesome show on DVD.

On the other, I'm about ready to strangle Real Fansubbers. They had done such an awesome job fansubbing Hikaru no Go, then, about the time the show ended in Japan, they slowed to a glacial crawl. From an episode a week, to an episode a month.

The last episode fansubbed was #73 (out of 75), released 6/5. It ends with the cliffhanger to end all cliffhangers. The match we've been waiting for all series long is finally underway.

And now the series is licensed. And now I have to wait, by my estimate, TWO YEARS to learn what happens next.

(That's assuming Viz actually does release the entire series, which is a pretty big assumption. Hikaru no Go addicts everyone who watches it, but that first viewing is a hard sell. Assuming three episodes per disc, like Inu-Yasha, Viz will need to release 25 volumes. That's a lot to ask if sales are disappointing.)

Gahdammit, RF, couldn't you have subbed one more lousy episode? You guys had a WHOLE MONTH.

No, I'm not to recommend subbing a licensed series. I'm not that selfish. I'm just going to be very, very grumpy for awhile. Mad

------RM
king_micah

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2003 6:39 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I wanna kill RF too. I know how it goes from the manga, and they underplay the actual battle in it. I can pm you if you want the details, but it sucks for those of us waiting. I hope they stay faithful to the game. I hope they keep Go-Go-Igo in it too.

Just one thing, speaking as a player, does anyone know a better defination of Hand of God then just a strategy to always win? I wanna know!

Last edited by king_micah on Tue Jul 01, 2003 11:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
drakh

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2003 7:01 pm Reply with quote
LordRobin wrote:
Assuming three episodes per disc, like Inu-Yasha, Viz will need to release 25 volumes.

Trouble Chocolate and Hana Yori Dango are 4 episodes per disc. Corrector Yui has been 5 so far. Maison Ikkokou is in 12 episode mini-boxes like G-Gundam. And I believe Viz indicated they'd "re-evaluate" the Inu-Yasha episode count after the first 9 discs.
Anti

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2003 7:28 pm Reply with quote
Hikaru no Go is my current obsession. I don't know why, but this series is addictive. I'm really excited by this news, It saves me the work of burning my fansubs.

I'm still missing 20 or 30 so of the episodes, but I'm going to stop dling the fansubs, I usually only get a couple to preview, but I didn't think Hikaru no Go would get lisenced.

I really hope they go with 4/5 eps per disc. In such a long series 3 per disc can be a dealbreaker, like it was for me and Inu Yasha. I'll buy the DVD's anyway, but it would be annoying.
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2003 7:51 pm Reply with quote
Given how I've never seen Hikaru no Go, I can't comment content wise (though leaving it at a cliffhanger is bad for ANYONE). I will say though, that I heard people saying it would be "un-licensable". And, they were wrong. Yay
Coral Skipper

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2003 9:19 pm Reply with quote
Semi OT: I'm happy to see that Viz picked up the title. It tells me two things, one that some people who work at anime companies do lurk around forums like this and got the sense that there a lot of people who want to see the title. Two, fansubbing fulfilled one of its "true purposes", helping get a title that was considered unlicensable licensed.
Case

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2003 10:43 pm Reply with quote
Coral Skipper wrote:
Semi OT: I'm happy to see that Viz picked up the title. It tells me two things, one that some people who work at anime companies do lurk around forums like this and got the sense that there a lot of people who want to see the title. Two, fansubbing fulfilled one of its "true purposes", helping get a title that was considered unlicensable licensed.

See, but then the question is... Are the fansubs really responsible for the purchase of the license... Or was its massively huge popularity in Japan, and among industry leaders enough?

A person who watches a lot of fansubs would probably want to say the former, if only because it seems to validate their shady practices. But in reality.... there is almost no way for us to know for sure.
Confused
king_micah

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2003 11:06 pm Reply with quote
Considering that at Sakuracon a serious Go tourny was held only because of the Fansubs? I know many who have a deep love for the series. They knew nothing of Go before it, and had a pretty go turnout for it. I played some. You may remember the Samurai with a short pike if you were there.
We don't know why they bought it, but due to the reactions at cons, they know it was feasible. Well known groups were doing the translations, they were contacted directly by Viz. It shows that Viz at least pays some attention to net fans.
cyrax777

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2003 11:17 pm Reply with quote
Hikaru no go is very addicting I remember last month running out of eps of otehr shows to watch flipped thru my cd's hmm Hikaru no go. show about go? oh well ill give it a shot. 2 weekends and 73 eps later "must get moooooorreeeee" Im glad it Finnaly got liscned. Now I can get it r1 and the manga!
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
ashram12

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2003 12:58 am Reply with quote
You guys are lucky you can download anime...I have a MAC and as far as I know the only file sharing program available for the MAC is Limeware, which isn't very good. Oh well.
I got a couple of famsub tapes of Hikaru no go, and a thought occurred to me: wouldn't it be cool if the show became popular here, just like Yugi-oh or Pokemon? Only kids would now be inclined to learn to play Go instead of extremely confusing card games.
king_micah

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2003 1:51 am Reply with quote
Baka.
I am a Mac user.
Bittorrent is for macs.
Its for X, but if you are using 9 still, then you are really behind as nine is now an unsupported format.
Besides there exists others out there. I won't say since bittorrent is legitish, while the others aren't, but don't give me the woe is me crap. I got fansubs on my old 6500 ppc runing 8.6 I got using programs for that machine.
arxane

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2003 11:22 am Reply with quote
One thing I'd like to just point out (because I feel like it) is that the news of Viz acquiring the "Hikaru no Go" series and manga was first released by the American Go Association. I guess this means that Viz will be working with the AGA to help make the series accessible to American audiences but also as authentic as possible.
Godaistudios

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2003 2:18 am Reply with quote
I am very pleased that this one got picked up. I wasn't expecting it to come out, even though the fans were clamoring over it. I'd been to anime club panels that talked about it (including NDK last year) and it's the first gamble I've seen Viz take in a long time. I'm hoping they can make it appeal to the average anime fan. I've seen too many people whine (who have not really watched it), saying "It's an anime about Go. How much lamer can you get?"

As much as the fans love it, how much will reg watchers enjoy it? At least this is one that will be easier to get onto CN (although I wonder if Ogata smoking will be cut if they do? Or sadly, turned into a digital toothpick. Ah well, it is a more of a kid oriented show.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
kodocha3

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2003 4:25 am Reply with quote
I loved Hikaru no Go and am very glad to see the AGA is going to work with Viz to get this anime translated and released. I admit - before I started watching I thought to myself, "A show about a board game that does not look at all interesting." But then I watched a couple episodes and was hooked! If it is packaged and promoted correctly this anime should have no problem being successful. The only hang up will be if they only release 3 or 4 episodes per dvd.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1