• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
How often do you watch the opening/ending of a series?

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Polls
View previous topic :: View next topic  

How often do you watch the opening/ending of a series?
-Yes, I know the spambot problem was fixed but just in case....
0%
 0%  [ 1 ]
-Never
2%
 2%  [ 4 ]
-Sometimes
38%
 38%  [ 58 ]
-Usually
28%
 28%  [ 42 ]
-Always
16%
 16%  [ 24 ]
-I mostly only skip the openings
2%
 2%  [ 3 ]
-I mostly only skip the endings
6%
 6%  [ 10 ]
-The meaning of life is 42
4%
 4%  [ 7 ]
Total Votes : 149

egoist

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 9:11 pm Reply with quote
Poll at Tris8's request.

Usually for me. Either because I like it, or because I'm leaving it on the background while browsing, so it's kind of a short break (I tend to marathon a lot).
Tris8

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 9:25 pm Reply with quote
I picked always. There has only ever been 1 opening I hated enough to skip, and that was the (5th? 6th?) opening of Ranma 1/2. Otherwise I always watch the openings and endings. In particular I enjoy watching/listening to the endings to let my initial impressions of the ep organize themselves. If an opening or ending is exceptionally good I'll watch it multiple times.

Post 1111!! Anime hyper
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 10:02 pm Reply with quote
Well it usually depends whether I'm watching multiple episodes.

For the first episode that I'm watching during that sitting I almost always watch the opening to set the mood. Then, for subsequent episodes, I usually just skip it unless it's an especially great opening.
kyokun703

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 11:27 pm Reply with quote
I put sometimes. I will watch them the first time, and then usually skip them the rest of the time unless the music is really good, or I need to get up to do something.
DerekTheRed

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 11:44 pm Reply with quote
Sometimes for me as well, but I would have picked rarely if that were a choice. When I was watching the Lupin show this season, I would let the OP play while I browsed, like egoist, but that was because I liked the instrumentals in the song, New Wuthering Heights. Otherwise I only watch the opening or ending credits if they play over top of the action in episodes where they needed extra time to fit everything in (Off the top of my head, the last episode of Desert Punk is an example.), or if I'm doing something in the encyclopedia here and I want to verify information or something.

I am usually 0% interested in listening to any of the songs, so they have to convince me to listen within the first 15 seconds or so or they will get skipped the first episode and every episode thereafter. And the visuals are either going to be nonsense fluff that has nothing to do with the story or misdirection, or it will reveal plot points. And I'm watching the show for the plot points, so I don't see a reason to watch.
moonie92

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 12:37 am Reply with quote
Usually I watch them. I like both the subbed and dubbed songs (like Fruits Basket and Ouran) because the subbed is usually pretty good (and if not I've lost my remote so skipping is a pain) and the dubbed, or for a better word English because Gunslinger Girls and Lain was not dubbed, so I can sing along. Not that I don't try to sing along to the Japanese or whatever foreign language is going on at the time but it doesn't work out as well.

I don't really pay much attention to the animation though. I'll be on the computer while listening to the song. I'll watch the animation maybe once, and if it's really good (like CCS which I watch every time, but only "Catch You, Catch Me." I think I just want her pink dress.)
Tenbyakugon

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:33 am Reply with quote
I consider anime openings and closings to be only supplemental to the storyline(s) during which they air, so there's an anime I like a lot and ergo I pay a lot of attention to the openings and closings. Of course the song has to resonate with me well enough for me to keep repeating it and ultimately add it to my MP3 player.

Unless it's something like this, in which case it's neither good nor bad, just downright addicting. Anime dazed
Polycell

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 2:48 am Reply with quote
I put "always". I've only skipped the OP or ED a few times while marathoning something and even then I haven't done so recently.
Saffire

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:14 am Reply with quote
I voted "usually" since I'll sometimes skip openings I don't like (not common, but happens), but didn't read all the options, because I almost never watch endings. Episode's over, why keep watching?
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:15 am Reply with quote
Usually for me. I try to watch them but on a few shows they become irritating or seriously boreing.

Also you have to be careful with the ending of an episode. It is not uncommon for some additional show to be after the ending and you can't count on the DVD/Bluray authoring to seperate that from the ending animation.
OldCharlieStoletheHandle

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 3:13 am Reply with quote
I picked "sometimes" though I would have voted for "rarely" if that option were available.

I usually watch several episodes at a time and unless I really like the song I usually skip the opening and closing to save time.

@Alan45: I have that problem with Case Closed, on many episodes there is something additional after the credits so I end up using the fast-forward function instead of the skip button. With so many episodes to watch (5 seasons worth from FUNimation) I really don't need to hear the ending song 135 times.
kaydub

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 12:15 pm Reply with quote
Depends on the show for me. Sometimes I really like the OP and/or ED and make it a point to watch it every time. The *Monogatari series is an example of this, I loved all the OPs/EDs and watched them every time.

Sometimes I like the OP and/or ED, but only watch it for the first few episodes before skipping over it, or only watch it every now and then. The K-On! series is an example here. I liked the OPs, but started skipping over them after a few episodes because I didn't like them enough to sit through it every time. I usually watched the EDs, but would still skip over them every now and then if I didn't feel like watching them.

Sometimes I just don't like the OP and/or ED at all and make it a point to skip it every time. Kids on the Slope is like that for me. Absolutely hated the OP, the vocals sounded like a cat being dragged through a cheese grater, and the ED didn't interest me at all. I skipped over both as soon as I could.

There have even been a few times when an OP/ED actually got me to start listening to a particular band/singer, or where knowing that a particular band/singer did the OP/ED for an anime made me more interested in that show.
zawa113

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 1:23 pm Reply with quote
I watch it sometimes, usually the first episode in any given viewing session is when I'll watch it. Unless it's Cromartie High School, where I have never skipped either the OP or ED for it and I've watched that series a lot. Ditto for the ever similar Sexy Commando, it sets the mood of weird just so damn well. But then again those are comedies. Unless I really love the OP or ED and it's not a comedy, I'll usually skip them so I can just get on with it.
larinon

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 2:13 pm Reply with quote
Sometimes

As others have said it just depends on how much I like the op/ed. If I'm marathoning I'll just watch each different op/ed once unless I really like it or it contains information that changes from one episode to the next like Baccano and Durarara, which I felt were really good openings anyway.

At our anime club, we usually watch the op & ed once for each show that we're watching, unless someone requests that we don't skip it in cases where it's really good (Moyashimon op, Darker Than Black op), humorously strange (Spice & Wolf ed), or exceptionally cheesy (Tylor op).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
SailorButterfly

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 3:09 pm Reply with quote
Most of my anime watching is with a friend, and we're always trying to squeeze in as many episodes as possible in a night, so we usually watch the opening and ending of a new series to see if we like the songs, and then we skip them for episodes after that. We'll also give the opening/ending a watch if it changes during a series. Also, we'll check them out on the last episode of a series/season to see if any extra scenes were added.

When I watch anime on my own, it depends on my mood, if I like the songs, and timing.

So, my answer is Sometimes. Smile
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Polls All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4