• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime about adults?

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ashez2ashes

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:22 am Reply with quote
Can you help me make a list with anime about adults? I'm NOT talking about hentai, but just shows where the main characters are adults. Space Brothers has reminded me how refreshing shows like it are. It's okay if there's like one kid in the show or something as long as the majority and/or focus are adults. By adults I mean they're at least college age.

This is what I can think up on the top of my head. I'll add to it as we go.

Anime about Adults:

KEY
Green = Post College Characters
Blue = College Aged Characters
** = has one pre-college aged character

TV
AD Police (TV Series) - futuristic police battle out of control robots.
Ai Yori Aoshi - harem anime with college aged characters.
Antique Bakery - shounen ai about men working in a bakery.
Aoi Bungaku - anthology of famous Japanese novel adaptations.
Arakawa Under the Bridge
Area 88 - fighter pilots in a war.
Armored Trooper VOTOMS- a veteran mercenary making his way through life and battle across several star systems to find a woman who might be able to help him understand himself.
**Avenger
Ayakashi Samurai Horror Tales - classic japanese horror tale anthology.
Baccano - scifi/action series set in 1920s America.
Bartender - short stories told to a bartender.
Basilisk
Berserk - dark fantasy about a swordsman and his tragic brutal life.
Big O
Black Heaven - washed up rock musician saves the world with the power of rock.
Black Jack - a doctor who can do the impossible; for a price.
Black Lagoon - mercenaries in southeast Asia.
Blade - based on the Marvel superhero who is a half vampire who kills vampires.
Blassreiter
Blue Gender
Bubblegum Crisis 2040 - remake about woman in robot suits stop out of control robots.
**Bunny Drop - single man in his thirties decides to take care of a little girl relative.

C
Canaan
Cat's Eye - women thieves who steal art.
Chobits
City Hunter - a hired gun kills bad guys in the mean streets of Tokyo.
Claymore
**Cowboy Bebop - bounty hunters in space.
Cyber City Odeo 808
Daiguard - office workers save the world with their companies giant mecha.

Daphne in the Brilliant Blue
Devilman Lady - a woman is possesed by a demon and uses her new demonic powers to fight other demons.
Diamond Daydreams - short romance stories about six girls in Hokkaido.
[color=blue]Dirty Pair
[/color]
Dirty Pair Flash
Desert Rose a bunch of women commandos have to protect a precariously placed ski chalet full of foreign diplomats.
Eden of the East - a guy gets a phone that allows him to do almsot anything, but once the phone runs out of money he dies.

Elfen Lied
Ergo Proxy - science-fiction adventure set in a dystopian future.
Fate/Zero
Fist of the North Star OVAS - one man's super human martial arts and a terrible post apocylyptic world.
Flag - part-mecha, part-international-political-commentary.
Future Police Urashimon

Galaxy Railways TV Series
Gallery Fake - a professional art curator who specializes in fake items and the black market.
Gankutsuoh - scifi remake of The Counte of Monte Crisco.
**Gatchaman TV
**Genji Monogatari Sennenki - Retelling of the famous Japanese novel Tale of Genji
Genshiken - college anime club.
Ghost in the Shell TV - cyberpunk special police task force with cyborgs.
Ghost Slayers Ayashi -
Golgo 13 - short stories about an unkillable nameless assasian.
Golden Boy - follows college dropout Kintaro Oe in his quest to learn all that he can. And make mostly adult women totally fall for him.
Gun Frontier - Famous anime characters Harlock and Tochiro are transported to the Wild West.
Gungrave

**GTO (Great Teacher Onizuka) - an ex biker teacher tries to help troubled youths.
Hataraki Man - an japanese office worker woman deals with life and job sexism.
Hellsing - a secret British organization that fights vampires with guns and a vampire of their own.
Hidamari no Ki - a doctor and a samurai interact at the end of the Edo Jidai
Himitsu - secret organizaton that has learned how to use advanced technology to look into the brains of dead people to see their memories and solve murder cases.

Honey and Clover
House of Five Leaves
Human Crossing
Hyouge Mono - political intrigue and the esthetics of tea in the Sengoku period.
Iron Man - based on the Marvel comis superhero.
Irresponsible Captain Tyler - a space captain that maybe an idiotic or a genius and his crew.
Kaiji
Kaze no Yojimbo
- one man finds himself between two rival Yakuza groups with no where to turn.
**Kaleido Star
Katanagatari
Kemonozume
Kimagure Orange Road: Summer's Beginning
**Koi Kaze
**Jormungand - arms dealers.
Licensed by Royalty - British secret agents. Set in Britain with lots of Beatles references.
Le Chevalier D'Eon - dark magical murder mystery set during the reign of Louis XV.
Legend of the Galactic Heroes - far reaching space opera with political intrigue.
Legend of Lemnear
[color=blue]**Love Hina - college students find love

Lupin 3rd - the adventures of a globe trotting thief.
Macross
Maison Ikkoku - romantic comedy involving a starving college student and his slightly older landlord.
Maris: The Choujo
Master Keaton - japanese Mcgyver.
Miami Guns - the adventures of two women cops in Miami, USA.
Mirage of Blaze TV
Mononoke
Monster - a doctor who is framed for murder tries to catch the real killer.
Moonlight Mile - two adventurous men vow to go to the moon and
Moribito - a spear wielding woman in ancient Asia becomes the body guard of a prince.

Mouryou no Hako - horror/mystery a private investigator and a an antique book seller join forces to catch a murder.
Moyashimon - a college aged student can see microbes as cute mascot characters.
Nana
Natsuyuki Rendezvous
Nightraid 1931

Ninja Scroll TV
Nodame Cantabile - romantic comedy about college aged students in a music school.
**Noir - a young woman assassin finds out about her past
**Oh! Edo Rocket - a young man in the Edo period of Japan wants to build a rocket so his alien friend can go to the moon.
Oh My Goddess
Oku-sama wa Mahō Shōjo: Bewitched Agnes - a retired magical girl resists being replaced by a younger counterpart.
Otaku no Video - college students being otaku.
Otome Yokai Zakuro - A trio of male commisioned military officers are teamed with female half-yokai partners in order to deal with spiritual disturbances in an "alternate" Japan.
Otogi Zoshi
Paradise Kiss - drama about college aged students and their love of fashion.
**Paranoia Agent
Patlabor - comedy/action about police in the future that use mecha to keep the peace.
Planetes - space trash collectors.
Princess Jellyfish - Woman neets/otakus who are suddenly thrust out of their comfortable reclusive lives by a bombastic crossdresser.
Pumpkin Scissors
REC - short comedy/drama about a wannabe seiyuu and a young salaryman.
Record of Lodoss War
Reqium from the Darkness
Ristorante Paradiso - josei about a young woman who works in a restaurant with many older men.
Rune Soldier Louie
Ryoko's Case files - The story revolves around Ryōko Yakushiji, a brilliant 27-year-old elite investigator with the Tokyo Metropolitan Police.
Saiyuki TV Series (Saiyuki Gunlock, Saiyuki Reload)
**Sakura Wars TV
Salaryman Kintaro - an ex gang member tries to go straight as a salaryman.
Samurai Champloo - action show about two warriors and one woman in pre-industrial Japan searching for a mysterious man.
Samurai Deeper Kyo
Sayonara Zetzubou Sensei - a strange young teacher gets a class full of stranger students

Shining Hearts -Shiawase no Pan- (TV)
Silent Mobius TV
Sol Bianca TV Series
Soul Hunter
Souten no Ken
Space Battleship Yamato
Space Brothers - a man in his thirties journey to become an astronaut.
Spice and Wolf
Starship Operators

Steins Gate
**The Story of Saiunkoku - a woman in ancient china works to be the first woman goverment official.
The Woman Called Fujiko Mine - a female thief uses her sex appeal and disguise skills to get what she wants.
Tiger and Bunny - superheroes in a reality tv show.
Toshokan Sensou
Trapeze - a strange psychiatrist helps a range of patients through their mental problems.
Trigun
Tsukikage Ran
Tytania
Utakoi - short story romances based on classic Japanese poems.
Vandread
Wanna-Bes

**Welcome to the NHK
White Album
Windaria
**Witchblade - based on an American comic book about a woman with magical armor fighting monsters.
**Witch Hunter Robin
Wolf's Rain
Wolverine - based on the Marvel superhero.
X-Men - based on the Marvel superhero characters.
**Yami no Matsui
Yomigaeru Sora - RESCUE WINGS - follows the missions of the JASDF Search and Rescue Wing stationed at Komatsu Air Base.
You're Under Arrest - comedy about two japanese police women.
Yugo the Negotiator
Yukikaze
Zipang
Zone of the Enders: I Dolores

OVAS
AD Police Files OVA
Agent Aika
Armitidge III
Angel Cop
Animation Runner Kuromi - comedy about a woman working in the anime industry.
Animatrix - animated shorts based on the Matrix live action franchise.
Appleseed OVA
**Bastard!!
Blood Reign: Curse of the Yoma
Bubblegum Crisis OVAS - woman in robot suits stop out of control robots to 80s rock music.
Burn Up OVAS (Burn Up, Burn Up W, Burn Up eXcess)
Cockpit
Cosmo Warrior Zero
Crusher Joe
Darkside Blues

Detonator Orgun
Detroit Metal City
Dirty Pair OVAS
Dominion Tank Police
Earthian
Fake
Galaxy Railways: A Letter from the Abandoned Planet
**Gatchaman OVA
**Geobreeders OVA
Goddamn - short OVA about rallying in Africa.
GoShogun: The Time Étranger (OAV)
Harlock Saga
Hellsing OVA
Irresponsible Captain Tyler OVA
Legend of the Dog Warriors: The Hakkenden
Maetel Legend
MD Geist - a sociopathic super soldier destroys an already war torn world.
Mirage of Blaze: Rebels of the River Edge (OAV)
Ninja Scroll OVA
Oh My Goddess OVA
Otaku no Video
Patlabor: The New Files
**Phantom Quest Corp
Petshop of Horrors
Queen Esmeraldas
Read or Die (OVA only) - a woman who can pyschically control paper tries to recover a stolen book.
Requiem of the Darkness (Hyaku Monogatari) - a writer during the Edo Jidai goes out to find 100 ghost stories
Riding Bean
Saiyuki OVAS
Sakura Wars OVA
Sanctuary
Shinesmen
Sol Bianca OVA
Sorceror on the Rocks
Submarine 707R
Yotoden OVA

Movies
Appleseed Movie
Arcadia of my Youth
Armitidge III Movies
Crusher Joe
Domain of Murder
Fist of the North Star Movies
Galaxy Express 999 Movies
Ghost in the Shell

Jin Roh: The Wolf Brigade
Kimagure Orange Road: Summer's Beginning
Millenium Actress
Mind Game
Only Yesterday - a young woman reflects on her childhood while taking a vacation in the country.
Paprika
Patlabor Movies
Perfect Blue
Porco Rosso
Princess Mononoke - Ghibli film. Humanity and nature collide.
Redline - high octane racing in the far future on a distant planet.
Roujin Z - an old man's geriatric life support turns into a mecha and tries to take him to the sea.
Saiyuki: Requiem
Silent Mobius
Space Adventure Cobra
Spring and Chaos - atypical biography about Kenji Miyazawa's adult life.
Most of the Street Fighter Movies
**Sword of the Stranger - a wandering swordsman tries to save a child from being sacraficed in a dark ritual.
**Tokyo Godfathers - a group of homeless people find an abandoned baby.
Vampire Hunter D - a half vampire kills vampires in the far future.
Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust - a half vampire kills vampires in the far future.
Various Black Jack Movies - about a doctor who can do the impossible.
Various City Hunter Movies
Various Lupin 3rd Movies
Vexille
Wings of Honneamise

Last edited by ashez2ashes on Tue Nov 20, 2012 6:12 pm; edited 91 times in total
Takokujin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:57 am Reply with quote
Bunny Drop / Usagi Drop
Volibear

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 11:14 am Reply with quote
-->Natsuyuki Renedvous, although its currently airing would fit the bill
-->Princess Jellyfish maybe? it's all adults although whether people ever really see it like that i dont know, until i thought about it i never really noticed it properly
-->Strictly speaking Un-Go and Moyashimon would also fall into an "about adults" category, although you could put them either side of the line
-->Black Lagoon, im shocked this isn't on the list already
-->Jormungand, similar to Black Lagoon, although has a boy soldier, not that he ever acts like it though, which is why i suggest it
-->Spice and Wolf s1+2, man and wolf deity who appears as a young girl, definitely consider this an adults series
-->Arakawa Under The Bridge s1+2, humour and general appearance might seem like it isn't but its not really a teen show, more seinen so maybe this
-->Darker Than Black s1+2, one of my favourite seinen series, although one that most people will enjoy regardless of age
-->i kinda wanna say Ghost Hunt, since it only has 1 "kid" character, but that character is the main so im not sure if you want to include it or not
-->Claymore as well, for the same reasons as GH, but he plays less of a main role in later episodes
-->Witch Hunter Robin, again, same as above but even less noticable than the others
-->Monster i think, only seen like 7 episodes

i don't know about these cause i haven't watched them yet:
Wolf's Rain
Texhnolyze
Phantom ~Requiem for the Phantom~
Gungrave

nice idea to create a list of series for/about adults, its always bugged me how its never an official term or type of series you can directly search for to get a list of series like these, i don't know if it falls as some sort of possible recommendation thread, but i'd be happy if it did

also, list threads and list posts tend to get deleted/closed because they're not really constructive, so this may need to be turned into/redone as a proper recommendation thread

Last edited by Volibear on Thu Jul 19, 2012 1:17 pm; edited 4 times in total
Riddley

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 11:21 am Reply with quote
Eden of the East That has movies as well. Very good series.

Also,

Samurai Champloo
Spice & Wolf I & II
Time of Eve
Welcome to the NHK
Steins;Gate

Those are the ones I can think of off the top of my head that are between very good and excellent in my book.
Pixelationist

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 11:28 am Reply with quote
Can't think of many that hasn't been mentioned except Kara no Kyoukai and Koi Kaze.

Natsuyuki Rendezvous is airing now and it's awesome so far.
ashez2ashes

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 11:44 am Reply with quote
Volibear wrote:

also, list threads and list posts tend to get deleted/closed because they're not really constructive, so this may need to be turned into/redone as a proper recommendation thread

I really hope not. I couldn't find a resource anywhere that kept this kind of list. I'm learning php and I had a vague idea that a good practice project would be making a small database of these.

There's a problem in the anime industry with losing adult viewers because the shows appeal to them air less and less. Since we're the ones with more disposable incomes that's... not good. When shows with adult characters do air they don't get the ratings, either because the older viewers have already tuned out or because they don't hear of them. I know in my circle, my mid to late twenties friends only really watch anime that I recommend to them because I'm the only one still willing to slog through stuff.

Hmm, there might be merit in adding "children present that aren't the focus" and "college age" fields to it too.

I've never seen Jormungand. Is the kid the main character or just one of the characters?

If I've got any of these wrong feel free to correct me. Several of these I've only heard of rather than seen.

Last edited by ashez2ashes on Thu Jul 19, 2012 12:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
Crisha

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 12:20 pm Reply with quote
If we're going to be allowed a list, could you please put it in alphabetical order?

I'm not certain if Mushishi counts. Ginko is an adult and several of the characters focused on in the episodes are adults.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Errinundra

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 12:24 pm Reply with quote
@ashez2ashes,

Roujin Z is the name of the anime you mentioned, but since deleted, about an old man whose bed turns into a mecha and takes him to the beach.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ashez2ashes

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 12:30 pm Reply with quote
errinundra wrote:
@ashez2ashes,

Roujin Z is the name of the anime you mentioned, but since deleted, about an old man whose bed turns into a mecha and takes him to the beach.

Thanks, I added it. I added a bunch by just looking at the anime that Anime World Order has reviewed. I also put the list in alphabetical order. Maybe we should talk about our favorite anime starring adults as well so the thread doesn't get deleted? Even if you close this thread mods, please don't delete it. There was very little information on this topic when I googled it.
Key

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 12:36 pm Reply with quote
I am very leery about allowing this thread to continue because it is strongly in violation of forum rules about the use of unannotated lists, and it's been my experience that once one bad example is allowed through then a flood of others wanting to do the same thing follow.

However, we don't really have any option in our Recommendation Threads listing which serves this purpose, nor is there any way to use our Encyclopedia's Search function for this purpose, as we don't classify series on whether or not they primarily feature adult characters. For those specific reasons I will allow this thread to stand. Any further listings will need to be annotated with either a brief description of the series or some comments about the series, though.

And ashez2ashes: Alphabetize that list the next time you edit your OP and correct the name on Wolf's Rain. And as a general point, as an adult who's considerably older than you and your friends, I don't have a problem watching and enjoying series that aren't focused on adults. It's mostly a state of mind.

To clarify on two series already mentioned: although it does mostly feature adult characters, the title and central character of Witch Hunter Robin is only 15. One of the two leads to Koi Kaze is also only 15 at the start.

One series that has not been mentioned yet is Witchblade, an anime based on an American comic book. One of the major characters is a little girl, but the cast is otherwise entirely adults. For that matter, most or all of the casts in the anime based on Marvel comics - X-Men, Wolverine, Iron Man, Blade - are adults. As for other cases:

In Solty Rei, the major cast is a mix of younger and older characters; the male lead is an older adult, for instance, as are most of the major supporting characters, although one major supporting cast member is a little girl and the two most prominent female characters either is a teenager (one case) or looks/acts like one but really isn't (the title character).

In Speed Grapher, the female lead is a teenager but the rest of the cast - including the male lead and central character - are adults. The same is mostly true for The Story of Saiunkoku, although it does have two characters prominent in the second half of the series who are on the young side. Guin Saga also falls into this category.

Flag is a part-mecha, part-international-political-commentary series where the entire cast consists of adults.

Otogi Zoshi has a mostly adult cast. (The central female character's age is indeterminate but implied to be late teens.)

Nearly all of the prominent characters in Paranoia Agent are adults. (In fact, the same can be said about all of Satoshi Kon's works.)

Pumpkin Scissors is an all-adult military action/drama. The movie Vexille, all of the Appleseed properties, and the series Blue Gender also fall into this category. Armitage III IIRC, the same is true about Valkyria Chronicles, although some of those characters may still be in their late teens.

Tytania, a space opera, mostly features an adult cast. So does Blassreiter, a much darker sci fi action series.

Most of the young ladies (5/6, maybe?) featured in Diamond Daydreams are in their 20s. I don't think any of the major cast members of Canaan are still in their teens, either, but I'm not 100% sure about that one.

The Crest/Banner of the Stars franchise starts with the two leads in their late teens but everyone's in their 20s (or older) for the second and third series.

How Hellsing (TV version or Ultimate OVAs) has escaped mention so far is beyond me. Everyone there are adults.

The OVA series for Read or Die is all-adult. (The TV series isn't.) Same thing for Armitage III in all its variations.

Then there are some borderline cases like Starship Operators, Genshiken, and Ai Yori Aoshi, where most or all of the casts are college-aged. But if you're listing Oh My Goddess as an adult-featuring title then all of these would qualify, too. Any of the Bubblegum Crisis/Crash/2040 series would also qualify, as none of the characters in it are listed as being younger than 18.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Yupa

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 12:37 pm Reply with quote
It seems there are quite a few of them once you start thinking about it.

From this season I count four on my watching list:
Utakoi - Romances based on classic Japanese poems.
Moyashimon Returns - College students at an agricultural university, one of them can see micro-organisms.
Natsuyuki Rendezvous - Romance with a supernatural touch.
Uchuu Kyoudai - Adults taking exams to become an astronaut.

A few of my favorites:
Baccano! - Lots of fights between mafia families and some of them are immortal
Eden of the East - 10 people get almost unlimited funds with which they have to save Japan.
Planetes - Realistic space show about people who collect garbage floating around in space.
Spice and Wolf - Romance based in medieval times with lots of talking about economics.
Steins;Gate - A bunch of otaku who accidentally invent a time machine.
Ah! My Goddess - Romance between a college student and a goddess.
Arakawa Under the Bridge - Comedy about a group of adults living under a bridge.
Black Lagoon - Action series about a group of mercenaries.
Canaan - Action series.
Fate/Zero - Action series where seven magicians fight with their summoned servants for the holy grail which grants one wish.
Tiger & Bunny - Superheroes are protecting a city while being in a reality show.
Wolf's Rain - Four wolves disguised as humans are searching for paradise in an post-apocalyptic world.

Last edited by Yupa on Thu Jul 19, 2012 1:00 pm; edited 4 times in total
ashez2ashes

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 12:44 pm Reply with quote
Yupa wrote:
It seems there are quite a few of them once you start thinking about it.

From this season I count four on my watching list:
Moyashimon Returns
[/b]

There's a new Moyashimon season?! Yes! Finding that out has totally made my day! I'll try to annotate the main list as best as I can.
DavidShallcross

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 1:08 pm Reply with quote
I would think most cop shows would fit here, although the only one that comes to mind not already mentioned is You're Under Arrest. The main focus characters are two policewomen in Tokyo. Secondary focus is on a larger group of police at their station. Pretty much all of the recurring characters are adults, except for a small number of elementary school students that show up from time to time.
Volibear

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 1:31 pm Reply with quote
now that i think about more than just TV series i'll pitch the Mardock Scramble movie(s), possibly my favourite piece of anime i've seen in the last 18 odd months, as a huge fan of GitS i was instantly pulled in by this, future city, cyborg lead, crime related series.

ashez2ashes wrote:
Hmm, there might be merit in adding "children present that aren't the focus" and "college age" fields to it too.

I've never seen Jormungand. Is the kid the main character or just one of the characters?

If I've got any of these wrong feel free to correct me. Several of these I've only heard of rather than seen.

the Jormungand kid is part of the central cast, i wouldn't say he was a main character because there isn't really a main as such in the series, more of a core group, but he's a stoic boy soldier character, so you never really notice other than his design thats he's a child character

it may be worth adding like a little colour coding or bracketed note at the end of any child-involved or college series, i thinking maybe just colour any child present series blue and college age red, something simple like that just so people know would do the trick without making loads more work for you
zawa113

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 1:33 pm Reply with quote
Maison Ikkoku-romantic comedy involving a starving college student and his slightly older landlord. Nearly all of the important neighbors and other love triangle members are also adults.

Terra e... starts off with teens, but with time skips the main character quickly ages into his 20s then 30s (and even before then, many of the Mu are well into their 100s due to their slow physical aging)

Golden Boy follows college dropout Kintaro Oe in his quest to learn all that he can. And make mostly adult women totally fall for him.

Himitsu: Top Secret-all adult cast that works in a place that has learned how to use advanced technology to look into the brains of dead people to see their memories and solve murder cases.

Trapeze (aka Kuuchuu Buranko-a strange psychiatrist (who appears to be able to age shift and is the closest thing to a "child" in this show) helps a range of patients (mostly adult) through their strange mental problems.

Otaku no Video-more college students becoming otaku. But the real meat here is all those bizarre interviews with real people, all of whom are clearly middle aged adults.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5