• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Digital Manga Reaches Funding Goal for Tezuka's Triton

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zawa113

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 5:47 pm Reply with quote
SahWHEET! I've almost become used to waiting for upcoming Tezuka titles ever since Vertical really started joining in the game, and now I've got stuff to look forward to for a whole year!

I'm thinking that promising to publish it regardless is what made people confident enough to support it, as I was sure no more than 48 hours ago that it wouldn't get funded.
Saffire

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 6:12 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I was certain it wasn't going to make the goal. Someone must've been out campaigning.

Honestly I'm not too interested in Atomcat, but Triton looks neat so I just picked it all up.
Keichitsu0305

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 6:18 pm Reply with quote
Saffire wrote:
Yeah, I was certain it wasn't going to make the goal. Someone must've been out campaigning.

I was kinda worried the last time I looked (4 days before the due date) and they were under almost $5,000 or so.

A close call but now I have a copy of Triton and Unico to look forward too!!! ^__^
sepherest

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 8:41 pm Reply with quote
At this rate I'm hoping they'll also try to publish Rainbow Parakeet. Seems like they're just trying to get the smaller volume series though.
Takokujin

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 8:44 pm Reply with quote
That is amazing news for sure!
nhat

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 8:56 pm Reply with quote
I think its hard for some people to get used to Tezuka art. It's not bad, its different. Once I started reading Black Jack, I got really hooked on the story. It's really well done and the art style compliments it.
PBsallad

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 9:46 pm Reply with quote
The only Tezuka I've tried reading was Black Jack. Couldn't get into it. Maybe I'll try another time, but I doubt the experince would be any different.
Saffire

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 10:10 pm Reply with quote
nhat wrote:
I think its hard for some people to get used to Tezuka art. It's not bad, its different. Once I started reading Black Jack, I got really hooked on the story. It's really well done and the art style compliments it.
It's old, which is a death sentence for a lot of modern readers. It's unfortunate, but them's the breaks.
Jikorijo

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 11:11 pm Reply with quote
I'm looking forward to Triton the most since it seems the edgier out of Unico or Atomcat, but I'll be getting the latter two regardless.
The Goron Marshall

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 11:51 pm Reply with quote
I want this, I really, really want this... Along with their other Kickstarter manga... (ESPECIALLY Atomcat.)

But unfortunately, since I cannot shop online, I cannot have these. Just, darn.
Soundmonkey44

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 9:02 am Reply with quote
Glad to hear it, always nice to have more Tezuka manga available in the states.
zawa113

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 9:17 am Reply with quote
The Goron Marshall wrote:
But unfortunately, since I cannot shop online, I cannot have these. Just, darn.

Is it possible for your local comic store to order a copy for you when it comes out? I find that works. Sometimes big bookstores will do it too (not sure what Canada has, but try asking!) And of course, conventions.

I don't remember what made me give the Tezuka manga a chance, but the Omega Factor GBA game was definitely what got me into Tezuka in general. And I look at all the side characters whose manga have yet to come over and I go "I want Rainbow Parakeet, I want W3! I want The Three-Eyed One! I want it all! Dammit!" at every single character whose manga haven't come over. Yet....
It took some adjustment, especially on his older works, but some of the later seinen ones are shockingly modern with their layouts and whatnot. But the stories made it worth it for me in the end.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 9:56 am Reply with quote
Good news, very good news. Looking forward to seeing this.
ewsizemore

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 7:02 am Reply with quote
The Gordon Marshall, You will definitely be able to order all the books through your local comic shop or bookstore. DMP has made all its Tezuka books available to the general book buying market. So no worries. You won't be denied Tezuka goodness.
Agent355

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 3:57 pm Reply with quote
Am I the only one who was a little disappointed that Triton didn't get its own Kickstarter? I mean, I'm happy for DMP's success and all, but I was interested in Unico and Triton and not Atomcat. The only way to get the Unico Plus rewards and the Triton books would've been to add significantly to my financial contribution, and I'd get Atomcat rewards that I don't particularly care for... Embarassed

This is my first time contributing to a Kickstarter campaign, and I'm really excited about getting that gorgeous, full color Unico book in December! I definitely want to check out Triton when it comes out, too!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2