• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Mike Toole Show - The Anime-lympics

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 6:54 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Rounding off this group is badminton. Yep, badminton, a sport that's actually hugely popular in countries such as Indonesia. The only badminton manga I was able to find good information on is a title called Yamato's Shuttle, a 4-volume series that takes the standard shonen tournament formula and applies it to the sport of racquets and shuttlecocks.

Well, Tari Tari has a Sometimes Badminton Club, but they do other things too. For the rhythm gymnastics, Teruaki Murakami made a nice little OVA that featured girls exercising. It's even titled "Rhythm Gymnastics", how misleading.

Good thing we get to leave off the 50odd baseball manga and anime, no more baseball at the Olympics. But you curiously did miss some easy targets, like Suzuka covering multiple track and field events.
Melanchthon

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 7:19 pm Reply with quote
I probably won't watching any Olympics this year, since NBC's broadcast pisses me off and I'm not bored enough yet to find a pirate stream of BBC. Besides, I find the rampant jingoism distasteful.

And I can't believe you didn't give an love to Kamikaze Kaitou Jeanne for rhythm gymnastics! Come on man, all of her magical weapons are gymnastics props!
wandering-dreamer

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 8:12 pm Reply with quote
Melanchthon wrote:

And I can't believe you didn't give an love to Kamikaze Kaitou Jeanne for rhythm gymnastics! Come on man, all of her magical weapons are gymnastics props!

Dammit you beat me to the punch. xD That's the only thing I could think of that didn't get covered here (well, that and the fact that tons and tons of anime characters do archery but can't think of a series where that's one of the main focuses), kudos to actually finding manga for nearly every sport out there!
Takokujin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 8:15 pm Reply with quote
I still can't believe what NBC did. Sad.
nightjuan

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 10:16 pm Reply with quote
This was a fairly interesting read, despite my relative to absolute unfamiliarity with several of the shows mentioned.

In terms of sports anime, not just those related to the Olympics, I've always been partial to those titles that manage to do something worthwhile with their characters or stories, regardless of how well they accurately represent the actual competitive activities involved. Cross Game or Touch would be good examples.

As far as Tomorrow's Joe is concerned, I'm not sure I can agree with saying that the protagonist is literally struggling against the act of boxing as such. He does have to deal with some of the negative personal consequences, so to speak, at certain points in the story, but for the most part he definitely comes to enjoy fighting in the ring, in spite of the toll it takes on him. I suppose you can also argue it isn't much of a celebration of the sport itself, but I usually consider that to be secondary.

By the way, there's another version of Hashire Melos! to be found in episodes 9 and 10 of the Aoi Bungaku TV series, which I'd easily argue is pretty damn good in its own right and adds another interesting layer to the story. It's still a bit of a stretch as far as "sports" go though. Wink

And well, I certainly used to be a huge fan of Captain Tsubasa growing up, but now I just tend to look back at the whole thing as an oddity of its time and not something I'd really want to consider checking out again.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 10:32 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:

Well, Tari Tari has a Sometimes Badminton Club, but they do other things too.

Specifically Choir.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 3:48 am Reply with quote
Also speaking for sports anime in general: don't forget soccer, and the best one for me is Dragon League...if only I could watch it fully subbed like the first two episodes. Accurate depiction with humans and anthro characters, what's not to love about it? XD

Yay for Tiger Mask...and le sigh. I'll never get to watch that show properly. Why is it foolish North America didn't ever consider these shows worth dubbing? :(
pachy_boy

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 7:15 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Of course, Battle Athletes gives us wacky, futuristic versions of many of these sports, but at the end of the day, it's all about who can run faster, jump higher, and react quicker in the race to become the next Cosmo Beauty. If you check the cover art, Battle Athletes looks a little formulaic, and in some ways, it is. But here's a pro tip: the TV series, Battle Athletes Victory, is great stuff, a fun and uplifting story about friendship, challenges, and one hell of a twist ending.
Read more at animenewsnetwork.com/the-mike-toole-show/2012-07-29#sJ8VCiQTpmbdRH3P.99

Yep. Battle Athletes was my gateway and I still love it for all those things plus its weirdness and inventive fun (as well as the Yuri subplot). People today would probably avoid it because it's old (the best 90's anime never feel old to me and sometimes even outshine most recent anime), but it's a classic series that I seriously think Nozomi should pick up.

Quote:
Let's see: sailing? Well, there are sails and masts and stuff in One Piece, and Treasure Island. But they're not actually about competitive sailing, are they?

Bodacious Space Pirates had a sail-racing episode, so how about that one?
Raneth

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 8:07 am Reply with quote
For a second I thought this was about Animalympics. Now I have to go watch that.

I would love to see an anime about fencing (european fencing, not Kendo). It even has a built in ranking system (E-A), for easy power level comparisons. Laughing
UtenaAnthy

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 9:15 am Reply with quote
pachy_boy wrote:
Quote:
Of course, Battle Athletes gives us wacky, futuristic versions of many of these sports, but at the end of the day, it's all about who can run faster, jump higher, and react quicker in the race to become the next Cosmo Beauty. If you check the cover art, Battle Athletes looks a little formulaic, and in some ways, it is. But here's a pro tip: the TV series, Battle Athletes Victory, is great stuff, a fun and uplifting story about friendship, challenges, and one hell of a twist ending.
Read more at animenewsnetwork.com/the-mike-toole-show/2012-07-29#sJ8VCiQTpmbdRH3P.99

Yep. Battle Athletes was my gateway and I still love it for all those things plus its weirdness and inventive fun (as well as the Yuri subplot). People today would probably avoid it because it's old (the best 90's anime never feel old to me and sometimes even outshine most recent anime), but it's a classic series that I seriously think Nozomi should pick up.

Yeah, I have the old Pioneer singles of BAV with the openings and endings removed apart from at the very beginning and end of each disc so it's kind of like watching a movie. The animation's very good for a TV series and there are quite a few things I like about the series but I was somewhat put off by the spiritual emphasis and all the dramatic slapping (the latter is the reason I won't watch Glass Mask, I hate stuff that focuses on the achievement of brilliance through deprivation and abuse - which is one reason I love Buffy so much, when the watchers give her that test where they drug her and trap her in a house with a psychotic misogynist vampire, she tells them she will not recognise them as an authority anymore. And she has a close relationship with her mother and a cuddly toy pig called Mr Gordo).

EDIT: Will probably finish it at some point, but at this point I wouldn't be willing to double dip for a rerelease as I don't like it enough for that (and it's not like I never double dip, I did for Utena -got the ring too!- and I've preordered Nadesico though I own the old ADV brickpack, plus, while I have only bought Evangelion once and that was the premium edition, I would have been willing to double dip if I'd bought the older singles first as the difference in quality was drastic, based on my rental of all but the last of the older discs prior to purchase.)
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 2:25 pm Reply with quote
Well,sports anime haven't done as well here as other anime genres have. Stuff like "The Prince of Tennis" have yet to find an audience here. I also heard about "Eagle Sam." I hope it does get shown here. I'd also love to see it dubbed into English. It would be pretty interesting to see.
pachy_boy

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 4:09 pm Reply with quote
UtenaAnthy wrote:
EDIT: Will probably finish it at some point, but at this point I wouldn't be willing to double dip for a rerelease as I don't like it enough for that (and it's not like I never double dip, I did for Utena -got the ring too!- and I've preordered Nadesico though I own the old ADV brickpack, plus, while I have only bought Evangelion once and that was the premium edition, I would have been willing to double dip if I'd bought the older singles first as the difference in quality was drastic, based on my rental of all but the last of the older discs prior to purchase.)

The advantage to Nozomi license-rescuing it is that no doubt they would reinsert the original montage of imagery during the closing credits of the final episode. Don't know why Pioneer never got it, but in that montage we get to see what happens with the rest of the supporting characters (as well as where that one guy disappeared to). Plus, if Nozomi had it, they would've remastered it like they do with all their license-rescues. All that is reason enough for me to double-dip, personally.
Sailor S

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 8:59 pm Reply with quote
I can't believe that for gymnastics you didn't use Princess 69 as an example. Truly that has everything that's interesting about the sport Razz
dm
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 9:08 pm Reply with quote
Aria probably fits better under canoeing than under rowing.

And if pole dancing is ever recognized as an Olympic sport, there will be Panty and Stocking and Garterbelt and Highschool DxD.
scineram

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 7:02 am Reply with quote
Sailor S wrote:
I can't believe that for gymnastics you didn't use Princess 69 as an example. Truly that has everything that's interesting about the sport Razz

A great drama about unqualified coaches, indeed.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2