• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Ghibli Announces New Anime

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chrno2

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 11:01 am Reply with quote
Who knows what the deal is between father and son. But I would be curious to see how this turns out.

Apparently, Goro seems somewhat optimistic about doing the film despite what his father thinks.

Hmmm...very interesting indeed. Confused
Kagemusha

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 11:07 am Reply with quote
Can't comment about the father/son thing, but I'm really intrigued to see it's being based on Earthsea, a childhood favorite of mine. Hopefully they'll do the book justice.
TsubomiKoneko

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 11:13 am Reply with quote
Hahahaha.

This wouldn't seem to odd/funny to me if Sci-Fi channel hadn't resently had a mini-series about it.
Eos

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 11:23 am Reply with quote
While I haven't read Earthsea, I've read another well-known book by Leguin (Left Hand of Darkness). I really like her writing, I'm glad Studio Ghibli has chosen one of her works to borrow from Smile.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
redline

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 11:34 am Reply with quote
ANS called this in September.
Cassandra

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 12:40 pm Reply with quote
TsubomiKoneko wrote:
Hahahaha.

This wouldn't seem to odd/funny to me if Sci-Fi channel hadn't resently had a mini-series about it.

And a really BAD mini-series to boot. Hopefully the anime will be a bit better than that was.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Jerseymilk

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 12:46 pm Reply with quote
I'm also really happy about this. Ghibli has a pretty good track record, though I'll be on my guard, considering what Miyazaki said about his son recently. Still, very pleased at seeing one of my favourite fantasy series I read as a kid being made into an anime. Now if only I could get to see an anime adaptation of Narnia too. I think that would be pretty cool. Very Happy
Perfectsword

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 3:16 pm Reply with quote
Cassandra wrote:
TsubomiKoneko wrote:
Hahahaha.

And a really BAD mini-series to boot. Hopefully the anime will be a bit better than that was.

I was so disgusted with that adaptation, I went to bed. I loved the Earthsea books, I hope this all works out.
shikatamasu

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 4:54 pm Reply with quote
Eos wrote:
While I haven't read Earthsea, I've read another well-known book by Leguin (Left Hand of Darkness). I really like her writing, I'm glad Studio Ghibli has chosen one of her works to borrow from Smile.

I am very happy to see this, as I have also enjoyed her writing. One of the many aspects about Studio Ghibli that I have admired is their wonderful portrayal of humanity of their lead characters. I hope this one is as well done as their other fine works. OASN wouldn't be awesome if they or someone else did an anime adaptation of Left Hand of Darkness, or The Dispossessed.
Nightfall

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 5:46 pm Reply with quote
Nice! yeah the live action one sucked majorly since they completely ignore aspects of Sparrowhawk/Ged's true character in favor of "romance". Hopefully the anime will do better at showing more of what made Le Guin such a great read, her characters AND her worlds.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
toru

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 6:09 pm Reply with quote
According to this,
Goro says "I and my father are not speaking at all since summer. It is in a rupture state."
However, for the contract, Miyazaki visited Leguin in June and said "I take responsibility", he consented to son's debut.
Though Miyazaki Hayao wished cinematization of Gedo Senki long time, Leguin refused it. However, 3 years ago, she admited that only Miyazaki Hayao can cinematization it, and contacted Ghibli.
However, since Miyazaki was busy with preparation of Howl, Goro became a director.
Though some staff objected to this project, by Goro's storyboard these objection disappeared.

Direcor: Miyazaki Goro
Producer: Suzuki Toshio
Storyboard: Miyazaki Goro
Screenplay: Miyazaki Goro, Tanba Keiko(Ocean Waves)
Music: Terashima Tamiya
Samurai-with-glasses

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 9:11 pm Reply with quote
Interesting. I always loved the Earthsea series. I wonder which book would Goro concentrate on. I'd guess the first book.

Interestingly, Earthsea does not possess a strong female lead character.

And now we wait to see if the son is capable of filling those very big shoes.
naushika

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 10:22 pm Reply with quote
toru wrote:
Music: Terashima Tamiya

So Joe Hisaishi will not be doing the music? Did anyone else notice this? Hmm...I wonder if that too was a decision of Miyazaki senior. This would be the first ghibli film he hasn't done the music for since....Cat Returns?

Hmm... Sad
toru

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 12:53 am Reply with quote
Quote:
This would be the first ghibli film he hasn't done the music for since....Cat Returns?

Most of short films for Ghibli Museum are not Hisashi.
Koro's Big Day Out : Yuji Nomi
The Whale Hunt : Yuji Nomi
Hoshi Wo Katta Hi: Norihiro Tsuru, Yuriko Nakamura
Mizugumo Monmon: Rio Yamase
Yado Sagashi : Tamori, Akiko Yano
naushika

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 1:23 am Reply with quote
toru wrote:
Quote:
This would be the first ghibli film he hasn't done the music for since....Cat Returns?

Most of short films for Ghibli Museum are not Hisashi.
Koro's Big Day Out : Yuji Nomi
The Whale Hunt : Yuji Nomi
Hoshi Wo Katta Hi: Norihiro Tsuru, Yuriko Nakamura
Mizugumo Monmon: Rio Yamase
Yado Sagashi : Tamori, Akiko Yano

I should have rephrased that. I meant out of his longer blockbuster films like Howls and Spirited Away.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2