• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
RIGHT TURN ONLY!! - Sakuran Saku

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ArrancarNelTu

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 11:54 pm Reply with quote
Wow, I can't believe my review was featured here! Thanks very much for that! Here's the much longer review of Cage of Eden 1-5 on my blog.

I'm new to the manga scene after testing my foot in the water with Cage of Eden and I'm really kicking myself for not checking out manga earlier.
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 12:15 am Reply with quote
Just bought Sakuran. Only other Moyoco Anno manga I've read is Sugar Sugar Rune, so the review comparison is particularly suited to me. Really looking forward to reading it.
Hellfish

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 1:28 am Reply with quote
Sakuran has just been released!!! O.o And I just run out of money!! D: Ahh damnit!! D:
dandelion_rose

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 5:01 am Reply with quote
I've been interested in Sakuran ever since I discovered that it was the movie for which Anna Tsuchiya was acting / posing for in those really fantastic, iconic photograph sets.
ss-hikaru

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 5:12 am Reply with quote
I'm glad the Disappearance of Yuki Nagato-chan was reviewed, I wasn't sure if it was another gag manga like the other spin-offs or not. But in the end it doesn't really sound interesting ^^"
scineram

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 6:55 am Reply with quote
No, for the first time I'm interested in Disappearance of Yuki. Also Cage of Eden.
pachy_boy

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 7:06 am Reply with quote
One volume in, and I'm enjoying The Disappearance of Nagato Yuki-Chan quite nicely. Sure, nothing "gripping" per se is happening, it's just the characters living out their daily lives, which is the point if Kyon had stayed in this world. The only thing possibly intriguing thing happening is (that is, other than will Kyon and Yuki find love in this story)--what is Haruhi Suzumiya's role in this story, in this world, and it leaves us pondering on that with its semi-cliffhanger. The worst thing that can happen is if it took the painfully tedious route of The Shinji Ikari Raising Project, so here's hoping.
Lynx Amali

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 8:24 am Reply with quote
Wait.

Ultimo's still running?

Damn. I need to catch up. Picked up the first two volumes and then completely forgot about it.
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:47 am Reply with quote
I saw the Sakuran movie years ago at an Asian Film Festival and enjoyed it. I had no idea it was an adaptation of a manga, and a manga by a creator I enjoy. I'll definitely be picking that one up.
JohnnySake

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 11:22 am Reply with quote
Now I gotta quit goofing around and get to reading Sakuran too. I bought it after Ed Chavez did a very good job of selling me on it in person at SDCC. (that and a slew of other Vertical titles Wink )

On the same day, a few rows over, I also picked up Angel Parabellum from Seven Seas. I was curious about it and they were selling their titles for 40% off, so I figured what the heck. The artwork kept making me think of Vampire Bund, for obvious reasons. Not a bad title, but not the most compelling one either. Hopefully it will improve in the next volume.
Shaterri

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 4:33 pm Reply with quote
Different strokes for different folks, but I thought the character artwork on Nagato Yuki-chan was one of its bright spots; Puyo's work has a sort of whimsy about it (I really don't know a better word) that really suits the setting well, and it provides a nice contrast to the slightly rigid character designs of the 'mainline' manga. I think of the dissimilarity in appearance as a benefit, not a detriment - it makes it immediately clear that these aren't the characters you know.
zawa113

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 5:02 pm Reply with quote
I just got Sakuran at Otakon (they sold out at the Vertical booth btw), and I must agree, it left me wanting more. We finally get an awesome whorehouse series not translated into Fakespeare but it's only one volume long, why?! I think I still prefer Ooku more overall, but Sakuran was great stuff.
But....the spine got that annoying spine bend halfway through my first read. That has never happened to me before, so it's either I got a copy with a bad spine or it's simply not one of Vertical's more durable books (and I can't necessarily compare it with other larger releases as this one has a different paper size). Kinda wished it had gotten bigger paper, as it looks awesome artwise and got all these lovely color pages! And not just two or three in the whole volume, like 5 chapters start with 4 color pages. But the spine! It's quick fate made me Crying or Very sad
Takokujin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 5:18 pm Reply with quote
classicalzawa wrote:
I just got Sakuran at Otakon (they sold out at the Vertical booth btw), and I must agree, it left me wanting more. We finally get an awesome whorehouse series not translated into Fakespeare but it's only one volume long, why?! I think I still prefer Ooku more overall, but Sakuran was great stuff.
But....the spine got that annoying spine bend halfway through my first read. That has never happened to me before, so it's either I got a copy with a bad spine or it's simply not one of Vertical's more durable books (and I can't necessarily compare it with other larger releases as this one has a different paper size). Kinda wished it had gotten bigger paper, as it looks awesome artwise and got all these lovely color pages! And not just two or three in the whole volume, like 5 chapters start with 4 color pages. But the spine! It's quick fate made me Crying or Very sad

I've only read the first volume of Ooku, but I really enjoyed it. I guess I'll be buying Sakuran.
Vertical_Ed
Company Representative

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 5:23 pm Reply with quote
classicalzawa wrote:
it's simply not one of Vertical's more durable books (and I can't necessarily compare it with other larger releases as this one has a different paper size). Kinda wished it had gotten bigger paper, as it looks awesome artwise and got all these lovely color pages!

Had to keep the same size as the Japanese to not mess up the color. Blowing up the images would have made them look all faded and dirty.

Sorry to hear about the spine, it is the first time we have used this printer from Hong Kong.
zawa113

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 5:35 pm Reply with quote
Vertical_Ed wrote:
classicalzawa wrote:
it's simply not one of Vertical's more durable books (and I can't necessarily compare it with other larger releases as this one has a different paper size). Kinda wished it had gotten bigger paper, as it looks awesome artwise and got all these lovely color pages!

Had to keep the same size as the Japanese to not mess up the color. Blowing up the images would have made them look all faded and dirty.

Sorry to hear about the spine, it is the first time we have used this printer from Hong Kong.

Yeah, although I would've like a bigger size, I also understand that you probably couldn't actually get a bigger page size and have it still look epic. Probably just wasn't a Japanese option out there of that size. But man, those color pages are so glorious! I like how they're not the shiny type of color pages too.

I don't think I opened the book any more than I do a normal manga book. I didn't detect anything unusual about it until I was reading it and suddenly got a hunch the spine got a crease and there it was! It's like it happened as soon as I got to about the halfway point (flipping through the book earlier didn't seem to affect it). Which is a shame because I really liked the print job itself, just that spine....I mean, I've read that 800 page behemoth that is Ode to Kirihito several times, that spine is still fine.

But I know you guys pay attention to fan feedback and will do your best to prevent this in the future, so I'm glad I was able to let you know! I just wonder if it's my copy or if it will be a common problem (hopefully it won't be, I can deal with a bit of bad luck here and there)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2