• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Magi - The Labyrinth of Magic and Kingdom of Magic (TV).

Goto page   Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 3:29 am Reply with quote

Magi - The Labyrinth of Magic (TV)

Genres: adventure, fantasy

Plot:

Quote:
This story is about the flow of fate and the battle to keep the world on the right path. Aladdin is a boy who has set out to explore the world after being trapped in a room for most of his life. His best friend is a flute with a djinn in it named Ugo. Soon enough, Aladdin discovers he is a Magi, a magician who chooses kings, and he was born to choose kings who will follow the righteous path, battling against those who want to destroy fate. Follow his adventures as he meets others from 1000 Arabian Nights, like Ali Baba and Sinbad, and fights to keep the balance of world in check.

Episode 1
Hmm, an interesting start so far to say the least.

Alibaba starts things off and gets into a little trouble in the public with a foot on his head. He and his oniichan seems to have a fun relationship that is also slighted perverted in a way lol. The OP song was good though with the montage of the characters as well as sunset/desert settings.

Aladdin also has good magic powers with the blue arms as it seems when he helped Alibaba this episode. Not bad so far at all and loving the bro relationship between the two. Also, I'm hoping to see more of Morgiana as well even with her short appearance. And the two fly off into the horizon...till next time.

Last edited by Stark700 on Tue Sep 24, 2013 1:11 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Thatguy3331

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 4:35 pm Reply with quote
Well I have to say, I really liked the first ep, though I'm hearing things progressed differently in the manga it seems pace alright enough, but I'll have to read that myself and see what they're talking about I suppose (I'm normally on that side of these sorts of things anyway...)

I really like aladin sofar, he has that same spark that makes me like Gon and Killua from hunter x hunter with a perverted streak for good mesure Anime hyper the other characters are likable too, though I want to see how that girl will tie into everything.
Rhyono

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:35 pm Reply with quote
Thatguy3331 wrote:
I want to see how that girl will tie into everything.

...was that a slavery joke? I approve.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:21 pm Reply with quote
Episode 1 was rather entertaining, seems we have a very Arabian Nights anime. I actually found the whole slavery thing rather disstressing, and especially the bit where the two girls spoiler[fell into the giant flower], which is actually a good thing. I am surprised Alibaba did not blame Aladdin for spoiler[first putting him in debt with the carriages and cutting the chains], if anything those acts could count as saving his life. We will need more of the slave girl, or soon to be ex-slave girl. Oh, and hopefully we will get more character from Ugo other than just body language.

I think I found another show I like, there is something appealing of the OP song, and from what I could hear of the ED song, sounds like the type I like. Look forward to more.
Divineking

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:40 pm Reply with quote
Well when I heard about how they were doing the beginning I was bit worried but that was a pretty good first episode and they managed to mesh the material pretty well. Of course I do hope that it doesn't take all the way until the spoiler[Balbadd arc] for the adaption to be a bit more faithful but I guess it depends on how they do some of the other events.

Really liking the opening song.
Thatguy3331

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 11:16 pm Reply with quote
Rhyono wrote:
Thatguy3331 wrote:
I want to see how that girl will tie into everything.

...was that a slavery joke? I approve.

I wasn't trying to make a joke, and I was about to respond that I don't find slavery funny. but then again Boondocks has proven me wrong several times...
CrowLia

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 1:16 am Reply with quote
I enjoyed the first episode, mostly because Aladdin is very likeable and because the whole episode shows Alibaba as a wimpy kiss-ass guy but he finally grows a pair by the end. I liked how it was played out and I hope we see more of the slave girl/spoiler[Morgyana, because in the Arabian Nights she was an amazing character and it was her with her wits who basically saved Alibaba from the 40 thiefs]

I'm not sure if that was worth blacking out, but just in case.

Anyway, I'm really looking forward to the rest of the show, I've heard good things about the manga so I hope it doesn't disappoint
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 6:25 am Reply with quote
The beginning was pretty LOL
That Aladdin sure is one clueless kid.
Alibaba got himself and interesting leech.
Those two together are like a trouble magnet.
It was nice how Alibaba finally found some courage.
Nice first episode. Interesting concept. Has lots of potential.
Greggy

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:24 am Reply with quote
WOO I always check to read the manga's of new anime's coming out next season and this was one I read when I heard about it two months ago. The way they changed the first few chapters around worked well. I have no complaints about the changes so far.

I can't wait to see Sinbad and the seven generals :3

waa seems that 7 new chapters got translated over the weekend time to go reading now
Stark700

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 8:33 pm Reply with quote
Episode 2
Oh, so spoiler[Ugo] is the name of the power that Aladdin summons from his flute.

But anyways, dangerous dungeon is dangerous with all those insect like beings. I'm glad to see Morgania returns this episode though as well the OST songs that played later. it fits within the Magi theme well.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Thatguy3331

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 8:48 pm Reply with quote
I'm noticing the OST has like this arabian feel but somehow mixes hip hop into it. Is it just me or what?

Oh well I really liked this episode, the sherif is crazy as f**k and I want to see more Morgania!
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 9:53 pm Reply with quote
Episode 2

I would say that the music is one of the really good things about this show, its arabic feel is indeed very good in setting up its feel. I would probably compare it back to some of the BG music used in .hack//, especially Sign, even if I just mention a similar feel from the song "The World", although a lack of vocals.

So how do we make a villain make episode one's look petty? Why you make him spoiler[care little for his people dyeing, have him stab his own man repeatedly out of pure frustration, and generally make him a snake.] And he looked so nice earlier.

Still interested in how Morgiana, she spoke this time so that is a start. Oh and the ED song has a kind of Fairy Tail feel, which makes me happy.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 10:42 pm Reply with quote
I think I'll keep watching series for how pretty the scenery is. I'm not really sold on the characters of story yet.
Greggy

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:41 am Reply with quote
Divineking wrote:
Well when I heard about how they were doing the beginning I was bit worried but that was a pretty good first episode and they managed to mesh the material pretty well. Of course I do hope that it doesn't take all the way until the spoiler[Balbadd arc] for the adaption to be a bit more faithful but I guess it depends on how they do some of the other events.

If you watch the opening theme spoiler[you don't see any of kassim. So its likely they are completely removing the balbadd arc, which is effing retarded IMO.]

Also why the hell is this only 12 episodes? I swear the companies that make animes these days are retarded. Such a good series and its going to waste with a half ass adaptation!
Darkmagick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:17 am Reply with quote
Greggy wrote:
Divineking wrote:

If you watch the opening theme spoiler[you don't see any of kassim. So its likely they are completely removing the balbadd arc, which is effing retarded IMO.]

Also why the hell is this only 12 episodes? I swear the companies that make animes these days are retarded. Such a good series and its going to waste with a half ass adaptation!

Watch the opening theme more carefully. He's there. spoiler[He's also in Alibaba's vague foreshadowing flashbacks in episode 2.]

And of course that's not even taking into account that his voice actor (Fukuyama Jun) has already been announced. He's also in the sixth key visual. So him being removed from the series is pretty much impossible.

Also, where did you hear that it was going to be 12 episodes? From the way they've been advertising, it sounds like it'll be at least a 2-cour, and probably a 4-cour.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page   Next
Page 1 of 19