• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Josh Grelle, Aaron Roberts Co-star in Toriko's English Dub Cast

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vata Raven

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 11:48 pm Reply with quote
...I'm just in awe with how many of the peopel they casted for this shonen series are pretty much no-name VAs, new people, or people that hardly vocie act anymore, like Jason Douglas, that got casted.
Escaflowne2001

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 11:50 pm Reply with quote
I'm surprised there releasing it at all. Can't see it doing that well tbh and it'll never get a full run.
FlamingLight

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 11:57 pm Reply with quote
It'd be great to see this get a Toonami run, but I'm guessing it's a little early for it just yet, I'd guess when Samurai 7 ends its 1st run, it would be the very earliest we'd see it. It'd help that it'd air right after Bleach.
Gozar

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 12:01 am Reply with quote
Yikes! That Trailer certainly didn't instill any confidence in the Dub. Komatsu's voice doesn't even come close to touching Romi Park and Sinclair's Toriko sounded more like a parody of the character. As a matter of fact, that entire Trailer seemed like a parody.

I thought FUNimation was done with making Rap songs for Anime after DragonBall GT. Trailer or not, that was just ridiculous.

I'll stick with the Japanese Version.
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 12:17 am Reply with quote
Man, I never realized just how strange this show was... at least it's unique! Very Happy

The voice acting seemed... pretty good, but then again, I haven't really heard the Japanese voices to compare. It's good to see that the show doesn't take itself too seriously with it's... interesting concept...

I'm surprised FUNi's not releasing this on Blu-ray.
Thatguy3331

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 12:26 am Reply with quote
I haven't really gotten into toriko yet, and even still I'm more likely to check out the manga vs the anime, but as for the trailer it sounds alright to me. as far as comparisons to the Japanese goI couldn't tell you but on its own merits it didn't make my ears bleed, which is always a good thing.

"oh I want that in my mouth...!!"
have a taste for something Tina? Anime hyper
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 12:26 am Reply with quote
I think it's a bit too early to judge the entire dub just on the few clips that we've seen. We barely got to hear Toriko speak in the trailer, so who knows if he sounds that way in the rest of the show.

Grelle's Komatsu does sound... kind of odd, though. I honestly was expecting Greg Ayres to get typecast for this role.

Tina sounds good, though. I don't know of this Morgan girl, but let's just say.... I found her saying "I want that in my mouth" more than a little... appetizing. Wink Razz Laughing

EDIT: Also, thanks for the shout out at the end. Glad I could help. Very Happy
NJ_

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 12:41 am Reply with quote
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
I'm surprised FUNi's not releasing this on Blu-ray.

The show's not even on Blu-ray in Japan (except that movie with PS2-looking graphics Laughing) plus it's by Toei so i doubt they would've been allowed to even if they requested it.
jacksonh

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 2:23 am Reply with quote
Vata Raven wrote:
...I'm just in awe with how many of the peopel they casted for this shonen series are pretty much no-name VAs, new people, or people that hardly vocie act anymore, like Jason Douglas, that got casted.

Probably because Tyler Walker also directs Fairy Tail and almost every "popular" VA is in that already (and those that aren't eventually will be as more episodes are dubbed and introduces more recurring and significant characters) so Toriko is an opportunity to let some newbies get more experience.

Also to maybe prevent the awkward situation of "hey so and so sounds like so and so from Fairy Tail" for VAs with super distinct and familiar voices.

Toriko is 99% male characters so almost every male VA in Funimation's talent pool (including the "BIG names") will probably eventually work on the series...

Probably makes many of them happy since the norm these days are shows filled with female characters = lots of female casting & male VAs have to compete for the 1 or 2 guys in those shows when it's time to dub them; it's a rough time to be a male VA in anime dubs Laughing

Toriko is a gift from the heavens to them.

I suppose I can understand your concern if hardly any of your favorites are involved. But give it a chance and you might become a new fan of some of these newbies.

But yeah I hope if Funimation licenses the Hunter x Hunter reboot or Beelzebub they'll get "all-star" treatment. Very Happy
FrameFreeze100

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 2:47 am Reply with quote
I'm not a Toriko expert but aren't Tom and Jiro notable recurring characters who appear in the first 13 episodes.

Why didn't Funimation list their English VAs? Confused

As for the trailer... Toriko seems like a silly exaggerated show that doesn't take itself too seriously but it still seems a bit off like Funimation was trying to promote the series and make it more ridiculous than it already is.

Since rightstuf will start shipping copies at the end of December maybe Funimation will stream the first 4 episodes for free sometime in November (but sooner would be good too). Smile
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 3:18 am Reply with quote
Gozar wrote:
Yikes! That Trailer certainly didn't instill any confidence in the Dub. Komatsu's voice doesn't even come close to touching Romi Park and Sinclair's Toriko sounded more like a parody of the character. As a matter of fact, that entire Trailer seemed like a parody.

This is a good thing IMO. This show would be too boring if they tried to imitate the Japanese dub. They need a crazy, goofball dub for this show, especially if they plan to put it on toonami (which I'm guessing is what they are angling for.
KLAC
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 5:58 am Reply with quote
well yea give series is long-runners/ongoing anime with many loads & loads characters yea nearly bring a lot names from current roster even those some fresh names or some we don't heard of they got?

even wonder funi got a develop roster of va of fresh names?

besides it early tell this new year it arrive.
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 8:06 am Reply with quote
Hmmm....

Toriko sounds a little too macho. I was kind of hoping he would sound a little more laid back. Although, I did laugh at the "taste the rainbow" suggestion! Toriko shilling Skittles would be hilarious! Laughing
Komatsu's voice = PERFECT! Exactly how I pictured it!
Tina's VA is trying waaaayyy too hard and sounds like the female announcer from the Yoplait MiniGo yogurt commercials. I laughed HARD when she said that she "wants that in her mouth." Tina, you slut! Laughing

And what the hell was up with that background rap? Dear God, that BETTER not be the English opening! Guts Guts should NOT be replaced by rap!
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 8:12 am Reply with quote
I have little interest in the show, but I'm really tempted with Ian having the lead role. He's quickly become one of my favorite VAs, and so having another show with him as the lead would be great (especially since it has so many episodes).

Ugh, but I'm already buying One Piece and once bigger sets come out I'm gonna start getting Fairy Tail. Can I afford another infinity-long show?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
chrisb
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 8:54 am Reply with quote
Why is it that anytime anime and hip hop meet people freak? I thought the song was very catchy and the trailer made the show look a lot more fun than what it really is. The dub sounds pretty good too.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2