• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Madoka Magica Films Had Weekend's 2nd Best Screen Average in U.S.

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sam Murai

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 12:49 pm Reply with quote
Goodness, that's even more impressive than the Japanese results, given anime's theatrical performances in the U.S. and that it was only on five screens! I'd didn't think the films would do very well or had enough attention to pull off those kinds of sales. Makes me wonder how well the films would've done with a Hollywood-level marketing campaign.

Also, is Aniplex trying to gun for the Oscars, or are the films even eligible as compilations of a television show?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Altacia

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 2:30 pm Reply with quote
I never noticed... How much were the tickets?
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 3:30 pm Reply with quote
I guess this is good news. I'm sure if it were marketed like say, Arrietty, it could've opened in the top 10. $60,000 is really good for a subtitled anime film on 5 screens.
wayne-kun

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 3:51 pm Reply with quote
These did wayy better then I thought they would. It was probably really smart of them to just play it on a couple screens rather then a bunch and not fill the house. A part of me really wishes something like this (maybe on a slightly larger scale, so maybe one screen in Canada~) would happen for Momo and Wolf Children but I know how theses things go. Can't wait to get them on Bluray though.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 3:58 pm Reply with quote
I think you have to consider the context that isn't just random theater-goers wandering aimlessly into the showings, all of them were long sold-out from right when the tickets went on sale. So no, a wider release wouldn't have been some amazing expansion for Madoka among the general populace, the ones who went to these showings wanted to be there with great enthusiasm, and pay a decent amount for it.
MrHatandClogs

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 4:00 pm Reply with quote
Altacia wrote:
I never noticed... How much were the tickets?

It was $20 for both movies in Chicago.

I was there, and it was definitely sold out, in a pretty big theater for that matter.

The movies were awesome, not very different from the series, but still awesome! I was afraid the pacing might be off, but it was on point. But, they runtime of both movies is almost exact to the series, so it's not like they had to rush anything.

And, the best part of all is that there was a trailer for the third movie after the credits, and it looks amazing!

I really hope those screening numbers justify them bringing over the third movie as well.

I live about four hours from that theater, but it was totally worth the drive, and I would definitely go back for the third!!

LOL My (non-anime watching) wife fell asleep like halfway through the first movie and slept through most of the rest.
But, I will say the movie didn't start unitl 9:30 p.m. and we drove 4 hrs to get there and went to the mall for a couple of hours before the show.

I probably would've have fallen out too, but I smashed a couple red bulls before we got there...
Yuki_Kun45
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 6:57 pm Reply with quote
Sam Murai wrote:
Goodness, that's even more impressive than the Japanese results, given anime's theatrical performances in the U.S. and that it was only on five screens! I'd didn't think the films would do very well or had enough attention to pull off those kinds of sales. Makes me wonder how well the films would've done with a Hollywood-level marketing campaign.

Also, is Aniplex trying to gun for the Oscars, or are the films even eligible as compilations of a television show?

General requirements for Oscar qualifications are:

for paid admission in a commercial motion picture theater in Los Angeles County,
for a qualifying run of at least seven consecutive days,
advertised and exploited during their Los Angeles County qualifying run in print media, and within the Awards year deadlines specified in Rule Three.

Plus there are additional rules for Animated Features seen here:

http://www.oscars.org/awards/academyawards/rules/rule07.html

As I haven't seen anything about LA Playings it seems unlikely Aniplex is gunning for Oscars with this one.
clicq

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 7:40 pm Reply with quote
Yuki_Kun45 wrote:

for paid admission in a commercial motion picture theater in Los Angeles County,
advertised and exploited during their Los Angeles County qualifying run in print media, and within the Awards year deadlines specified in Rule Three.

As I haven't seen anything about LA Playings it seems unlikely Aniplex is gunning for Oscars with this one.

Actually, I think that might explain why it's showing in LA for exactly 7 consecutive days Smile -- it was shown 10/19 - 10/25...
Sam Murai

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:25 pm Reply with quote
clicq wrote:
Yuki_Kun45 wrote:

Actually, I think that might explain why it's showing in LA for exactly 7 consecutive days Smile -- it was shown 10/19 - 10/25...

Well, I don't see anything in the rules that would disqualify them as compilations (thanks for the rules link, BTW). I would be more surprised if they weren't aiming for a nomination, though I believe they ultimately won't get one. The chance is there and it already has notoriety in terms of sales, but I doubt that'll be enough momentum.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
zeopower6

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:18 pm Reply with quote
It would be VERY interesting if the films were nominated though. *_*
Polycell

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 7:06 pm Reply with quote
Given how they handled the LA showing, they definitely seem like they're trying to make them eligible.
bglassbrook

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:21 pm Reply with quote
wayne-kun wrote:
It was probably really smart of them to just play it on a couple screens rather then a bunch and not fill the house.

Plus, they could just keep opening showing once the previous sold-out and not affect per-screen figures. That and running on a Saturday (and then some) couldn't have hurt figures any. Nothing like not having to worry about balancing work or school to boost attendance for an event that will skew to a younger demographic.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 6:27 pm Reply with quote
RottenTomatoes has Part 1 and Part 2 too.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1