• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Bleach GN 48-49

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sainta

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 7:42 am Reply with quote
Ichigo vs Aizen was good but incredibly short considering the fights of other awesome fights like Ichigo vs Ulquiorra or Ichigo vs Grimmjow. Still I like how Ichigo's final Getsuga Tensho wasn't an energy blast as I was expecting. Especially because it goes with the idea that Ichigo starts resembling Zangetsu (he gets Zangetsu's uniform with his bankai)
Gasero

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 8:51 am Reply with quote
I wasn't sure what to think about Ichigo vs Aizen. I couldn't tell if Kubo had become creatively bankrupt or if the powers in the series had become so extreme that the only way to end this was spoiler[for the characters to unleash the most powerful attacks they could conjure up and get it over with]. I flash back to Dragonball Z and how battles against villains always seemed to be fought by attrition until some magical moment where a character finally leveled up past the villain.

One gripe that I always have with those kinds of moments is how the character knows the extent of a power they just attained. But hey, that's anime.

Quote:
the pacing in these school-life chapters can be a bit too jumpy, rushing from one scene to the next, and the characters tend to overact just for the sake of overreacting.
That's definitely anime.
malvarez1

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 9:08 am Reply with quote
Goodbye, Arrancar arc. You'll be missed....maybe.

The fight was pretty short, but admit it. It was very satisfying seeing Aizen panic like that. And Ichigo's Mugetsu was awesome.

The new arc seems interesting, but some of the new villains are meh for me.
Bingal

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 9:36 am Reply with quote
Final Getsuga Tenshou, the mother of all asspulls. This manga should've ended right here, but instead it continues to wander aimlessly about, trying to introduce a whole new slew of ill-founded story elements that Kubo made up on the spot for the umpteenth time.
Lycosyncer

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 9:51 am Reply with quote
*facepalm*

Man, this is one of the points where the series starts losing its cool for me and I question why Kubo would make such stupid decisions such as these.

The ass pulls were horrible enough and the fact that spoiler[Aizen says that everything that Ichigo has been through is all his plan, and the Final Getsuga Tenshou technique which resulted in a rather anti-climatic battle] really ruined it for me and it seems that Kubo's trolling is really working against him.

We are currently at the Vandenreich arc and if it surpasses this in story's stupidity, then I believe that Kubo will be in for a whole new world of hurt.
Tenbyakugon

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 11:15 am Reply with quote
Because it was drastic, you either really enjoyed the different kind of plot line of the Lost Agent Arc or you were strongly against it.
sainta

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 3:34 pm Reply with quote
I liked a bit more how the anime adapted the end of volume 48 (after a season of original episodes though) since they added an episode focused on Ichigo and Rukia's relation making it less rushed. The new story arc feels a bit like reboot similar to how Code Geass started season 2.
baadaku12345

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 4:08 pm Reply with quote
There are two of the best volumes of Bleach in a long time... and epic battle in 48 and a nice change of pace in 49.
outlawwolf

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 8:48 pm Reply with quote
And coming up, the arc that killed Bleach and set in motion the next arc to be it's final.
ryanvamp

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 9:40 pm Reply with quote
Story = B

I'm just going to leave this here.
MaxSouth

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 8:59 am Reply with quote
ryanvamp wrote:
Story = B

I'm just going to leave this here.

It is just Carlo loving this particular project; do not expect that there is logical reason why he would rate better thought out stories lower than this one.
Arisato-kun

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 12:45 pm Reply with quote
I still wish Bleach had simply ended in Volume 48. It had such this nice finality to it and I feel that spoiler[Ichigo losing his powers for good after finally beating Aizen] was a great way to end the series.

I tried to give the new arc a chance but by the time Ichigo started spoiler[training in a dollhouse with a shuriken] I just had to give up.
Zhou-BR

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 3:00 pm Reply with quote
Aizen had been built up as such a huge threat since the end of the Soul Society arc, many people thought Ichigo's fight against him would be the be-all and end-all of the series. I understand why so many people were disappointed not only by how quickly he was defeated, but also by the fact that the series kept going with yet another training/power-up arc that went on for too long.

The way I see it, Kubo lost control of the story he was telling, and now he's desperately trying to recapture his former magic with a non-stop string of spoiler[major character deaths]. It all feels appropriately final, but nowhere near as exciting as the series was in its peak.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 12:09 am Reply with quote
Zhou-BR,

I agree. I think he lost control of it a long while back. In fact, I think he's just not very good at thinking out long plot arcs. He's a very good illustrator, and his characters are, IMO, pretty strong, too. He did a decent job at world-building as well. But what he isn't strong at is putting it all in motion. Once his original ideas were played out, he couldn't come up with new ones at that same level.

IMO, after the Soul Society arc, every arc has been progressively worse than the one before, as his lack of plot ideas became more acute.

It's a shame, really. I do like Bleach, but it seems all there is left to do is to watch it wind down and finally die. It's lost its charm, IMO; it's mojo.

Now I just read the summaries of the latest chapters so that I can see how it ends, but that's the extent of my interest in it anymore. Sad
st_owly

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 4:10 am Reply with quote
I really enjoyed the Soul Society Arc, and I definitely think it lost its way after that. I get the impression Kubo wasn't expecting it to be as successful as it was and panicked when he realised it had to keep going. I agree that he's a fabulous illustrator though. I hope after Bleach he teams up with someone to write a story for him.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2