• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Full Metal Panic! Sigma Manga to End at 19th Volume

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:06 pm Reply with quote
and why is it that ADV was the only one to publish FMP manga
sainta

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:12 pm Reply with quote
Finally! The first adaptation of the novels' ending. Smile

Now if only the anime returned..
terminus24

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:20 pm Reply with quote
I've been following the scanlinations of this series, it's one of my favorite manga series.

And, someone NEEDS to bring this out of Japan, the series gets waaay better after the anime ends. I'd pick up every volume.
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:41 pm Reply with quote
terminus24 wrote:
I've been following the scanlinations of this series, it's one of my favorite manga series.

And, someone NEEDS to bring this out of Japan, the series gets waaay better after the anime ends. I'd pick up every volume.

Chuang Yi in Singapore has an English-translated edition. I have the first four volumes (CY is up to five), bought locally, even though it's supposed to be a Singapore-only release. eBay sellers mark it WAY up before factoring in shipping.

CY's edition has dust jackets, just like manga in Japan. Volume one even has an obi. The translation itself has more of a British flavor.
FeistyDreams

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 1:16 am Reply with quote
Quote:
However, Tokyopop did publish one Ending Day by Day novel volume from Gatoh last year before shutting down its North American publishing operations.

That sentence is a bit misleading... Tokyopop published the complete EDBD story, but compiled it into one novel, rather than splitting it as the original Japanese is.

That being said, I'm glad to see it's more official now. Ueda put out a guess over a year ago that it would be 19 volumes, so it's good to know for sure. ^^ I'm looking forward to seeing the amazing finale, and I so so so so hope that last scene has some amazing images to go with it. And... well, there's a LOT when it comes to the finale that I want to see.

I'll cry if it never gets animated Q_Q The recent Nico Nico Live announcement was such a buzzkill, though I guess I should be happy that he said "I can't say" when asked about a 4th season of anime, rather than "No."
scineram

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 6:35 am Reply with quote
Does Sigma cover all the remaining novels?
sainta

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 6:46 am Reply with quote
scineram wrote:

Yes. It starts with The Second Raid that lasts three volumes. The next volumes were not adapted into an anime yet.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 7:48 am Reply with quote
sainta wrote:
scineram wrote:

Yes. It starts with The Second Raid that lasts three volumes. The next volumes were not adapted into an anime yet.

And considering Kyoto Animation becoming a strict moe factory, never will be.
zensunni

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:18 am Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:
sainta wrote:
scineram wrote:

And considering Kyoto Animation becoming a strict moe factory, never will be.

Yes, it covers the volumes that weren't animated, but does it go all the way to the end of the novels? I guess 19 volumes of manga would be enough, but 7 volumes of light novel in 16 volumes of manga seems a bit tight... I guess if they did the two volumes of the EDBD books in three, they can do the other 7 in 16... I really need to read this!

As for animation, Gatoh keeps teasing the fans about something big coming in 2013, but until he can actually talk about it instead of hinting, we will never know.

To do the remaining 7 volumes of light novel justice, it would take at least two seasons of anime, probably 3. The first series had two seasons worth of anime and covered three volumes of light novels. Fomuffu did short story content, and TSR covered two volumes in one season. I could see them doing a two season series covering volumes 6 through 10, then a movie for Always Stand By Me. That would be ideal! Smile
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:26 am Reply with quote
Don't get hopes up. FMP was never that popular in Japan.
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 2:41 pm Reply with quote
sainta wrote:
scineram wrote:

all of them but dancing very merry christmas, and the comedy sidestory novels (aka no fumoffu)
FeistyDreams

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 12:18 am Reply with quote
Tanteikingdomkey wrote:
sainta wrote:
scineram wrote:

all of them but dancing very merry christmas, and the comedy sidestory novels (aka no fumoffu)

Actually, Sigma DOES cover DVMC as a flashback after the events of ANOT. ZSBM hadn't been released when Ueda finished the ANOT events in the serialization, so they had to do SOMETHING and did a couple side stories (ones that were animated, even...) then DVMC, then finally picked back up with ZSBM. ^^

Some scenes were dropped for the manga. If they were all present, then there would probably be one more volume. I wish they showed Kaname telling Sousuke about spoiler[the disc in Mexico... In the manga continuity, Sousuke thinks Kudan invented the Fairy Feather, when it was Kaname...]

On the topic of prospective anime, I'm personally of the belief that it will take roughly 32 episodes to finish the series, if you don't do any of the side stuff. The 24 episode 1st season included some official side stories and 4 anime-exclusive filler episodes. TSR changed some events, about 5 episodes worth of the 13 episode season were anime-exclusive material -- Some of which was helping to fill plot holes because of the difference in anime vs. novel continuity.
dandudeamiga

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:38 am Reply with quote
I would love to see the final 3 volumes turn into an anime. Even if I have to find the manga and buy it! I had been following this series for a long time -- ever since they tried to release the anime when the 9/11 catastrophe occurred.

If we get enough people who like this series to spread the word and buy the manga, we will see it...

Some of the scenes reminded me of some of my friends what they did IRL. One of the many reasons why I stuck with it. And, also want to see if Kaname will kiss Sousuke. Very Happy
Saffire

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:54 am Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
Don't get hopes up. FMP was never that popular in Japan.
The light novels regularly rank in the top 50 on the sales charts and having an airing anime is always good for bumping those up. Unless you think the earlier seasons didn't break even I see no reason the production company would object to more.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1