• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Crackle Streams Valkyria Chronicles TV Anime Series

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Key

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 1:49 pm Reply with quote
It's about time someone made this series legally available. This was actually a pretty good series, and I've hated seeing it languish even though some of the associated games are available in English.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Takamachi Ryoko

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 2:10 pm Reply with quote
Oh ho I'm glad someone agrees that VC should be licensed/dubbed, it's been more than 3 years since it aired, and take a look at how fast the video game got localized. It was long but it was worth the wait, although it's a bit sad that it was unnoticed for years.

For most series based on video game, they were mediocre but this one turned out pretty well.

Last edited by Takamachi Ryoko on Mon Nov 12, 2012 2:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
ZeetherKID77

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 2:14 pm Reply with quote
I bet this won't ever come out on DVD or even get dubbed because Sony is awful at releasing anime.
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 2:31 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
It's about time someone made this series legally available. This was actually a pretty good series, and I've hated seeing it languish even though some of the associated games are available in English.

Not sure I'd call it "pretty good" but I definitely recommend it. As a bonus, the game seemed interesting enough that if someone got me the game, I'd buy a PS3.
VPedge

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 2:31 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:

This show does not do the game justice...
thelastgogeta

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 2:50 pm Reply with quote
VPedge wrote:
Key wrote:

I'm glad this anime is reaching out, but I can't really applaud it as I've heard it was a weak adaptation even if some people may buy the games after hearing about the anime.

Waiting for Valkyria Chronicles 3. >_>
And the anime to be on DVD, Region 1, PAL Region 2 (I would probably go for anything which is for European/UK prices) or Region 4.
Key

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 2:52 pm Reply with quote
VPedge wrote:

I've never played the game, so I'm evaluating it as a stand-alone series. In that sense I think it's pretty good. (It definitely looks good.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 3:05 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
VPedge wrote:

I've never played the game, so I'm evaluating it as a stand-alone series. In that sense I think it's pretty good. (It definitely looks good.)

I played a lot of the game and almost all of the anime. the anime is very different in many places but I think it is a good (almost) reimagining.
Saffire

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 3:10 pm Reply with quote
ZeetherKID77 wrote:
I bet this won't ever come out on DVD or even get dubbed because Sony is awful at releasing anime.
Or because the franchise failed terribly in the West and no one will touch it anymore.

The bar set by the game for this show is so high it's nearly impossible for it to live up, but it was a good show.
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 3:14 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
VPedge wrote:

This is good to know, as there is no way I'll ever have the time to play the game. I'll check it out. Smile
thelastgogeta

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 3:35 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
VPedge wrote:

I see where you or others may be going with this, but it's the type of mindset which invites a poor adaptation and is likely to have the viewer just the whole franchise on it or otherwise think "Why wasn't this element made clear?" when it is a game mechanic or alluded to in a way players would understand.

A standalone series is only ever a standalone series when it is a standalone series (or at least the originator of some sort). For the most part, One Piece movies are weak on their own, okay when you have context from the source anime/manga and rarely brilliant individually. Something on the line of Summer Wars or on the off chance, a well crafted short running adaptation like Chihayafuru's anime is what can usually be seen as a standalone work. I accept Chihayafuru on the condition of it representing the source material well and transitioning well.

Not that I can judge the anime fully yet. >_>
VPedge

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 3:43 pm Reply with quote
thelastgogeta wrote:
VPedge wrote:
Key wrote:

I'm glad this anime is reaching out, but I can't really applaud it as I've heard it was a weak adaptation even if some people may buy the games after hearing about the anime.

Waiting for Valkyria Chronicles 3. >_>
And the anime to be on DVD, Region 1, PAL Region 2 (I would probably go for anything which is for European/UK prices) or Region 4.

Its alot more then a weak adaptation it went and changed a large amount of the plot from the game while butchering the lead characters. [/spoiler]
ValkyrieZeroZeroOne

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 3:52 pm Reply with quote
thelastgogeta wrote:
VPedge wrote:
Key wrote:

I completed the game before the anime came out. How they changed the story was extremely disappointing and unnecessary.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 4:25 pm Reply with quote
I liked that they attempted the keep the cel-shading look of the game in the series, but the series was much weaker as far as motivations and writing go. But the Alicia reactionfaces were a goldmine.
11G4GUNOT

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 5:01 pm Reply with quote
lolz too expensive
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2