• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Evangelion: 3.0 Sells Over 1 Million Tickets in 4 Days

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ambimunch

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 3:05 pm Reply with quote
19 000 000$ is nice revenue considering it has not even been a week. Yay for eva, it deserves all this hype. Now can we please get a camrip already!!!!
Megiddo

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 7:32 pm Reply with quote
So it took a little over 4 days for 3.0 to equal the K-ON movie's final box office totals? Impressive.

I was also looking at Box Office Mojo's list for highest box office openings and was surprised to see that 3.0 now has the highest opening for an animated movie (also the highest for a Japanese-made movie) in Japan which previously was Howl's Moving Castle. It should also be noted that Howl's Moving Castle was shown on 450 screens making the new record set by 3.0 all the more impressive.
yu_samson

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 9:32 pm Reply with quote
Hi ANA Readers,

I couldn't make it on the first weekend showing for EVA 3.0 as I had to attend a friend's wedding. Considering this Friday is Labour Day in Japan, I was hoping to catch a showing of the movie on the long weekend.

Having checked online for seating at major theaters in the Tokyo area for this weekend, everything seems to be filling up really fast! When I checked online for theaters like Shinjuku Wald 9 and Roppingi Hills Toho Cinemas, seating for EVA 3.0 was pretty much 90% booked with all the best seats taken already. I was trying to book one day in advance. I guess I have to book several days in advance for a perfectly good seat.

I managed to reserve a seat for myself and a friend at Roppongi Hills. I could even select the individual seats that I wanted to reserve online (point and click).

So, it seems that EVA 3.0 isn't losing any steam soon. However, reaction appears to be mixed after speaking to some people who had already watched it. Some people loved it, some told me it wasn't EVA anymore, and some poor girlfriends who got dragged into the theater by their boyfriends (without any prior background reading into the material) just fell asleep, haha

I'm pretty open-minded and I don't expect the story to be limited to the original TV show. In fact, I'm looking forward to watching something entirely new. I think if everyone goes into the theater with an open mind and just watch it for what the director wanted it to be, I'm sure any movie, anime, EVA fan can enjoy it.

*Word of Advice/Warning*
It's been a while since EVA 2.0 was released, so it's probably a good idea to watch the second movie again for a recap before watching 3.0. Like in EVA 2.0, EVA 3.0 does not provide a summary of what happened in the previous two films, so pretty much gets started right away. If you haven't watched the previous two films and watch EVA 3.0, you're going to be confused, not understand anything, probably fall alseep, or end up leaving the theater in disappointment.

Samson
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1