• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
questions and concerns

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mleno777

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 3:05 pm Reply with quote
forgive me for my rudeness but i have to disagree with many of your rules at the same time i understand were your coming from. some i can understand like the intelligent conversation rule. i agree and some i don't agree, and believe your in the act of being bias. like the grammar part, i do not agree. whether you created the web sight or you bought it. it is a public web site and because some people cant spell (like my brother who was banned because of his grammar because of a server case of dyslexia) does not give anyone the right to be banned on the other hand i agree that if we do not agree with your rules we don't have to come to this specific web site. there are plenty of them out there and i do believe that you have the best information available in my opinion and i also believe that if you are willing to deny anyone the access of your information and saying there opinion on the matter then you are acting of a fool. i also do not agree on how the administrators have the write to shut down any topic.that is very bias. again i do agree that you can go some were else to discuss the topic but on the other hand, i believe that the viewers who do not agree with the topic can create there own topic on the matter. i also do not agree that administrators have the wright to close any discussion for instance i open a discussion three days ago on a particular anime and was closed this morning for no particular reason. i know that you understand that you know were i'm coming from for i believe that you are in fact a very intelligent person. thank you

mleno777

p.s. thank you for your time and also this letter is only a collection of suggestions and you are not obligated to respond although i do hope you do
p.s.s i am also sorry to say that i will now will be taking my busisness to [url]myanimelist.net[/url]. thank you
dtm42

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 3:32 pm Reply with quote
Regarding spelling and grammar, they are expected for a variety of reasons.

What's the point of communication if no-one can understand what you are saying, or get headaches trying to decipher long paragraphs of nonsense? Taking the time to check and correct your posts is a sign that you actually care about what you are writing and how you come across to other users. Plus, people who know how to write properly are more likely to be the sort of people we want here. Someone who only writes in txt or l33t probably doesn't have much to say of any interest, or is too young to fit in with the community which (in my experience) skews older than most. This isn't handwriting where if you make a mistake you cannot fix it without using whiteout. With a computer and spellcheck and at least one proof-read there should be very few errors in a typed post.

Obviously having dyslexia is an issue but that is something your brother should have mentioned straight away in his first post. You have even less excuse, because you don't have dyslexia yet your post is still shoddily written. Lack of capitalisation, some missing punctuation, syntax and grammar errors, spelling mistakes; if you want to be taken seriously you need to put more effort into your posts.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 6:20 pm Reply with quote
Hi Mleno777,

Thank you for your input. However the rules will not be changing. We know they can be harsh, and we know that some people leave the site for others because they don't like the rules, but at the same time, we believe that alot of the people here would leave if we didn't enforce these rules.

The point being, we can't be everything for everyone at the same time. We can't be the intelligent discussion forum that the majority of our current members expect, while also being the free-for-all, anarchic forum that some people want.

Another way to put it, making you happy would make other people unhappy.

In regards to your brother, I don't know his username, so I can not comment on his case. I can however say that we go to reasonable lengths to accommodate people who do not speak English as a first language, or have disabilities that make it hard (or impossible) to meet our writing expectations. We exempt these people from the grammar rules as long as we believe they are making an effort and they they can intelligently contribute to the forum.

If your brother wasn't given this opportunity, then I sincerely apologize, and if I am privately contacted I will look into his specific case.

This does not mean we will never ban a person who is dyslexic, or a person who does not speak English. If ultimately they are unable to intelligently communicate with the rest of the members, we will remove them from the forum.

Christopher Macdonald
Anime News Network

Last edited by Tempest on Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:06 am; edited 1 time in total
animeana

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:45 am Reply with quote
I agree with most of the rules and I'm willing to do my best to follow it. For the grammar issues, maybe they should be more considerate with it because members came from different corners of the globe. With good communication like this, members and forum moderators/ administrators can surely expand understanding for the improvement of this forum site.
Rukiia

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:53 am Reply with quote
animeana wrote:
For the grammar issues, maybe they should be more considerate with it because members came from different corners of the globe.

They are:

Quote:
2) This forum is an English-language forum. All users are expected to have a working knowledge of proper English. We are not an IM chatroom; we expect proper grammar, spelling, and punctuation. All conversation must be in English. If English is your Second Language, please say so in your first post.

As long as people state that English is not their first language then they are mostly excused from the grammar rules.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:21 am Reply with quote
animeana--
Welcome to the fora! Very Happy I hope that you enjoy yourself here! Anime catgrin
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 4:51 am Reply with quote
Also keep in mind the primary purpose of the rule is to keep people from p0st1ng cr4p l1k3 th1s or using lazy txt speak u kno wut i meen? We're not sitting here reading posts and grading people on their spelling and proper usage of grammar. People make mistakes and some people just aren't as good with language as others, and some people simply don't speak English natively and that's going to show. Obviously there's going to be some leniency so we're not bringing the hammer down on people needlessly.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1