• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Japan's Animation Blu-ray Disc Ranking, December 3-9

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 3:58 am Reply with quote
Robot Chicken? Is it because of the Star Wars affiliation?
Ingraman

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 4:31 am Reply with quote
Well, I contributed to the sales numbers by purchasing the two Ghibli Blu-rays...
hpulley

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 6:50 am Reply with quote
Go Tari Tari! One of those buys was mine so I am helping. Love this show, the rest are preordered already! Such great music in Dolby Digital, the visuals are stunning in BD 1080p and the characters and story are just wonderful. Now the box that came with BD2 is 2/3 full:

TariTari by hpulley, on Flickr
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:05 am Reply with quote
A quick glance might make you think this was a US list with Madagascar, Batman, Robot Chicken, and Brave all being on there.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:08 pm Reply with quote
I am glad Tari Tari continues to do well. Those sets look great hpulley. Are they subbed by any chance? When Sentai releases Tari Tari in R1, I hope they release it on BD.

And The Ambition of Oda Nobuna seems to be struggling with sales; I hope it improves. spoiler[The ending of episode 12 suggested a sequel, and I want to see that].
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:16 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
And The Ambition of Oda Nobuna seems to be struggling with sales; I hope it improves. spoiler[The ending of episode 12 suggested a sequel, and I want to see that].

Oda Nobuna is doing fine in sales... averaging over 5k a volume, which is good enough for a sequel.
hpulley

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:33 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
I am glad Tari Tari continues to do well. Those sets look great hpulley. Are they subbed by any chance? When Sentai releases Tari Tari in R1, I hope they release it on BD.

No subs, just the way I like it. Uncluttered visuals and it forces me to concentrate and understand the Japanese.
Polycell

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:10 am Reply with quote
Why would optional subtitles weigh you down?
Chagen46

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:16 am Reply with quote
Polycell wrote:

Anime fans quite often don't comprehend the idea of "optional dubs/subs".
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:27 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
Polycell wrote:

Except now that option is being chipped away at with forced subtitles on some BD releases when you choose the Japanese language.
hpulley

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:11 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Chagen46 wrote:
Polycell wrote:

Except now that option is being chipped away at with forced subtitles on some BD releases when you choose the Japanese language.

This. Which is why I prefer imports as they would never force this on their native market. They are distracting when present. I try to ignore them but they draw my eyes to them.

Ones I can turn off but must do so every time I watch something are annoying too. On Crunchyroll I can ask for Japanese language in the video preferences but it doesn't work, it gives me subs until I turn them off every time as there is no option for no subs.

Optional subs that are off by default... Could they make the import discs more expensive than they already are? Slower to come out? For something I don't normally want, I would rather not have them.
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:17 pm Reply with quote
hpulley wrote:
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Chagen46 wrote:
Polycell wrote:

This. Which is why I prefer imports as they would never force this on their native market. They are distracting when present. I try to ignore them but they draw my eyes to them.

Ones I can turn off but must do so every time I watch something are annoying too. On Crunchyroll I can ask for Japanese language in the video preferences but it doesn't work, it gives me subs until I turn them off every time as there is no option for no subs.

Optional subs that are off by default... Could they make the import discs more expensive than they already are? Slower to come out? For something I don't normally want, I would rather not have them.

They are there to prevent reverse importation. If people can't turn off the English subs while watching anime, it might turn off some people from importing the cheap American release and buy the Japanese release instead.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 4:20 am Reply with quote
It's a lesser evil than offering dub-only releases to North Americans, but still an evil nonetheless. What will the future hold for BD, as more and more Japanese fans become aware of cheaper American releases? Locking subtitles might not dissuade them enough.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1