• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime in America: The Best (And Most Notable) of 2012

Goto page   Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cetais

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 2:51 pm Reply with quote
Damn. This made me realized about how Sword Art Online is so overrated. I think it's "good", at the best. Nowhere near outstanding than everyone saying.

.... I'm really tired of hearing about SAO. Almost everywhere where the word "anime" is stated, there's a reference to SAO >___>
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 2:54 pm Reply with quote
Cetais wrote:
Damn. This made me realized about how Sword Art Online is so overrated. I think it's "good", at the best. Nowhere near outstanding than everyone saying.

.... I'm really tired of hearing about SAO. Almost everywhere where the word "anime" is stated, there's a reference to SAO >___>

the power of SAO
Quote:
"It has also sparked the longest and one of the most contentious series discussion threads our forums have ever seen"
sainta

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 2:59 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Desired brother/sister incest.

Shocked What?!
Red Fox of Fire

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 3:07 pm Reply with quote
Oh damn, I was really worried when the first thing I saw was SAO getting awarded series of the year. Very relieved to see it was just a troll.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 3:09 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Duo of the Year
Theron's Pick: Lynn Lambretta and Jenny Doolittle, Bodacious Space Pirates

HELL FREAKIN' YEAH!!! Cool

And you know what one the best part about this pairing? They're each badass on their own right. Lynn's a savvy hacker since her middle school days. And Jenny escaped from an arranged marriage ON HER OWN with her own concealed weapon; no bullsh** damsel crap out of Jenny. Plus there's that "Nuts" scene from Jenny which makes her intimidating. This makes them a dangerous lesbian couple for anyone to deal with. Ohhh, the future is so nice! Twisted Evil
Generic #757858

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 3:16 pm Reply with quote
Not even a mention of JoJo's Bizarre Adventure? For shame.
stardf29

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 3:19 pm Reply with quote
Well played on the SAO fake-out.

Agreed on a lot of the choices; anohana is my personal second favorite of all time (second only to Clannad), Chunibyou, Madoka, and Kids on the Slope were all amazing, as was Listen To Me, Girls..., the "surprise of the year".

Also nice to see some recognition for Humanity Has Declined, specifically Mai Nakahara's excellent voicing of the protagonist.
Kohii

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 3:22 pm Reply with quote
I used to be an ardent fan of SAO. Then, the second half happened. Overall, I think it's a good-to-above-average show. Not as great or terrible as some people make it out to be.

I was a little bothered by the fact that Index's release didn't have any worthwhile extras outside of commentary. Kinda wished they had included the Index-tan shorts.

I agree with most of Theron's picks. And some of Carl's really surprised me (Papakiki?). And I definitely agree on the most overused story elements. Looks like Oreimo was what ignited the influx of mediocre shows. To be honest, I never watched Accel World or BTOOM, so I can't speak for those shows.

Also, I'm a little disappointed by the absence of MadoHomu in the best duo of the year. just kidding.
Nocturne123

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 3:34 pm Reply with quote
Two things I wanted to expand upon.

I, like Carl, do not understand why Madoka is such a huge thing. It does some interesting visual things and it isn't terrible, but I really don't see what the big deal is. It isn't as deep as people make it out to be and I just couldnt relate to the characters, but that's probably because Im not a junior high school aged girl I suppose.

Second, I dont agree with Carl saying Jormungand doesnt have a moral to it. While obviously, there isn't a clear good or bad guy, there is a very big message it is trying to get across. Humans are essentially moronic and they use guns to destroy themselves and the world, but at the same time, because of this, guns are necessary. It isn't saying for the world to rid themselves of guns, but more the message that people need to be put in their place.
ValkyrieZeroZeroOne

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 3:35 pm Reply with quote
Kohii wrote:
I used to be an ardent fan of SAO. Then, the second half happened. Overall, I think it's a good-to-above-average show. Not as great or terrible as some people make it out to be.

For me, it was "Then Episode 14 happened". Stopped watching immediately after that and refused to look at it further. Never been so disappointed by a series I was enjoying up until that point.
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 3:38 pm Reply with quote
I had forgotten this was coming, always fun to read. And I love the beginning part about SAO, I can just imagine the reactions some people had.

Regarding Surprise of the Year, did either of you watch The Pet Girl of Sakarasou? I finally got into it thanks to Bamboo's comments on The Stream, and boy is that show way better than most people would expect based on its premise and first episode.
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 3:45 pm Reply with quote
My top 5 anime of the year would be...

1. Fate/Zero
2. Dog Days'
3. Little Busters
4. Girls und Panzer
5. Sword Art Online

Overall, it was a pretty weak year compared to the last 2. Only show that woulda been in my top 5 last year was Fate/Zero.
YotaruVegeta

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 3:50 pm Reply with quote
Lynn and Jenny: woo-hoo!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
wonderwomanhero

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 3:52 pm Reply with quote
Yessss @ Shelley Calene-Black as Haymuts. I agree, it is her best performance since Noir.
neocloud9

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 3:52 pm Reply with quote
Hyouka is definitely my "unlicensed gem" pick as well. I hope someone picks that up someday... While the story is solid but fairly un-extraodinary, the visual creativity reminded me of all the best things about Haruhi's anime adaptation. I'd love to own it as another piece of KyoAni's gorgeous catalogue.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page   Next
Page 1 of 15