• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: StudioCanal to Release From Up on Poppy Hill

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
blaizevincent

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:10 pm Reply with quote
I love what Studio Canal have done for Studio Ghibli here in the UK. Unlike America we have gotten what can pretty much be called the complete Ghibli Movie catalogue.

I just hope they carry this on into BD with titles like Only Yesterday and Ocean Waves. I hope being subtitled only wouldn't stop Studio Canal giving them the BD release treatment.
UtenaAnthy

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 2:10 pm Reply with quote
blaizevincent wrote:
I love what Studio Canal have done for Studio Ghibli here in the UK. Unlike America we have gotten what can pretty much be called the complete Ghibli Movie catalogue.

I just hope they carry this on into BD with titles like Only Yesterday and Ocean Waves. I hope being subtitled only wouldn't stop Studio Canal giving them the BD release treatment.

I agree in principle with this, but must admit that I have decided not to replace the majority of my DVD collection on BD as I don't have the money, and Ghibli films aren't an exception to that, I'm doing it purely based on whether the DVD transfer was particularly lousy (and even then it depends on how visually impressive the movie was to begin with) plus the occasional all-time favourite that's visually spectacular - in other words, both The Dark Crystal and Clueless are among my favourite movies of all time, but I'm only buying the former on BD, and the same principle applies for anime on BD vs. DVD: Mawaru Penguindrum is worth owning in hi-def, sure, but I can list numerous titles both that do have BDs and that don't where I would go for the DVD and save money even if there was a BD because they just aren't that visually impressive, and not just digipaint shows - there are some older cel animated titles such as Touch that wouldn't really benefit that much from HD because they have quite simple visuals to begin with, even if they were shot on film rather than video and a native HD master exists.

Anyway, it's great news that they'll be releasing From Up On Poppy Hill on home video, I will definitely be buying the BD (hopefully as a combo pack so I can lend the DVD to people).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1