• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Atelier Ayesha Slated for March 5 With English Dub Only

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:20 am Reply with quote
Wait, what? Why would the Europe version have dual audio but not the American version?

-edit- Actually just saw on Siliconera that the Europe version doesn't have dual audio either even though the Tecmo Europe twitter said it did.. if thats the case, then I'm passing on this game. Theres no way I'm going to play a game like this in a dub.
kazziyan

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:33 am Reply with quote
Yeah, it wasn't NISA's choice. Likely Tecmo interfered. :/ According to the one of the employees who posted on NISA forums. Outlining that it wasn't their call.

Anyway, I'll be importing. I don't like inconsistencies.

Last edited by kazziyan on Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:40 am; edited 1 time in total
andyscout

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:40 am Reply with quote
Hmm, well if given the option, I almost always switch to JP voices but it won't stop me from buying the game. What bothers me more, actually, is the partial dub part. The other games had partial dub, but had the full JP track to make up for it. I feel like if they're not going to bother giving us the JP track, at least dub the full game.
kazziyan

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:41 am Reply with quote
andyscout wrote:
Hmm, well if given the option, I almost always switch to JP voices but it won't stop me from buying the game. What bothers me more, actually, is the partial dub part. The other games had partial dub, but had the full JP track to make up for it. I feel like if they're not going to bother giving us the JP track, at least dub the full game.

I'm guessing unlike NISA, Tecmo doesn't see a market and thinks they can just half-ass it. Caused quite a well deserved shit storm.
Lynx Amali

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:44 am Reply with quote
Let's see....

1) No news of a Limited Edition?
2) No Japanese Voice Track?
3) Only a Partial dub and not a full dub?
4) Horrible PR and saying things that are completely wrong?

Yep. This game has been set out to die. Nice going, Tecmo Koei. I knew that TK buying Gust was a horrible sign. Guess this proves it.
Matriel

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:06 am Reply with quote
I'm at an impasse on my purchasing decision here. If sales tank, I don't have faith that Tecmo KOEI's suits are smart enough to realize that it was because they screwed up the localization and put out an inferior product compared to the series' past releases. Because of bad sales, it's then decided to not release future Gust titles in the US or Europe.

That potential scenario scares me. Although I'll freely admit I'm very uneducated about how localization deals are coordinated with respect to video games, so if my doomsday scenario is completely implausible I apologize and would appreciate any enlightenment on the subject.
Sheleigha

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:22 am Reply with quote
kazziyan wrote:

I'm guessing unlike NISA, Tecmo doesn't see a market and thinks they can just half-ass it. Caused quite a well deserved shit storm.

Sadly so. Meruru sold very well, with the LE selling out before the pre-order cut off. I don't see why they wouldn't think there is a market, but I guess they feel that their Ninja Gaiden and DoA is good enough, or whatever. This whole thing has been such a big mess, and I wish that they gave NISA all the publishing rights to this, since they did a good job with it, and sales seemed to be doing well and the fans (like me) have been kept happy.

I'll probably pick up Ayesha at some point, but since TK didn't bother with an LE for it, I'll have to wait...
Sylontack

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:26 am Reply with quote
Wait, partial dub?

Sorry, but I am not quite sure what that means...
It doesn't sound good though .-.
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:29 am Reply with quote
Sylontack wrote:
Wait, partial dub?

It just means they are half assing it since Tecmo doesn't care about the franchise, and are just releasing it in America out of obligation.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:37 am Reply with quote
Sylontack wrote:
Wait, partial dub?

It means they aren't dubbing 100% of the lines that had voices in the Japanese track. I'm pretty sure the other Atelier games were not 100% dubbed either. The first Neptunia had almost everything dubbed (only thing that wasn't was the radio program thing which was DLC in Japan, all of the story scenes were dubbed). Not sure how their other releases fared. Until it releases or someone involved in localization says something, there's no way to know how much is being left undubbed.

Anyway, this annoys me but I'll still be getting it because I'm utterly in love with franchise, so I'll need to play this sooner or later, and while I generally prefer JP audio and really want it to at least be there as an option. I actually liked the English dubs of the Arland games enough to play them all with the English dub (twice in Totori's case, though next playthrough will be with JP voices) so if I like the Ayesha dub as much as I liked the Arland dubs, then it will at least not be an unpleasant playing experience for me. Though it could be irritating if they leave huge chunks of the game unvoiced.

But this is still major bullshit. The game became a successful niche franchise here and now Tecmo-Koei is essentially taking over and then tossed out the JP track which was present in all the previous games. What the hell.

I imported the JP version of Ayesha, so this gives that some additional value since I absolutely *need* to play that version to get the JP audio, but I'd rather not have to wait several more years for my Japanese to be good enough to play it.
kazziyan

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:42 am Reply with quote
Sheleigha wrote:
kazziyan wrote:

Sadly so. Meruru sold very well, with the LE selling out before the pre-order cut off. I don't see why they wouldn't think there is a market, but I guess they feel that their Ninja Gaiden and DoA is good enough, or whatever. This whole thing has been such a big mess, and I wish that they gave NISA all the publishing rights to this, since they did a good job with it, and sales seemed to be doing well and the fans (like me) have been kept happy.

I'll probably pick up Ayesha at some point, but since TK didn't bother with an LE for it, I'll have to wait...

Pretty much. Funny thing is, I'm seeing reports of Tecmo EU PR saying they never even heard of no dual-audio. It's a complete mess. They probably won't even advertise it. :/ Inevitable end for Atelier on horizon, imo.
zeopower6

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:20 am Reply with quote
Sad Atelier, RIP.
mewpudding101
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:19 am Reply with quote
All previous Atelier games have had dual audio outside of Japan. This had been an extremely good thing.

Why would Tecmo Koei suddenly decide to screw that up?!

It's bullshit. I will never buy this dubbed game, and will buy the original in Japan. I love Koei Tecmo for Monster Rancher, Dynasty Warriors, Neo
Angelique... But the American/European division is getting on my nerves. I'm buying the Japanese originals from now on. I only waited because I wanted to support NISA. This is ridiculous.
victor viper

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 6:03 am Reply with quote
I just don't understand how some of these decisions get made. If they did a full English dub and left the Japanese track intact, great. If they did a Japanese-only release, fine. Does the Atelier audience really clamor for dubs that much?
terminus24

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 6:32 am Reply with quote
Meh, I don't care that it doesn't have the Japanese audio, I always use English audio when it's available. Only ever used the Japanese audio in Totori when checking out barrels...

Anyways, I'm just glad that we're getting a proper release of this game, been excited for this game for a while.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5