• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What are you reading right now? Why?

Goto page   Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
darkhunter

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 5:08 am Reply with quote
Read a good manga and want make a comment about it to let others know how you fee? Please let us know what you read and let us know the good, bad and the ugly.

What do you like (or don't) like about the book? It can be license book, scan, other graphic novel and comic books.

Do not List/Spam this thread, post will be reported and deleted.So take some time and put some thought into it

{Am stickying this thread because of its popularity. ~nobahn}

Last edited by darkhunter on Fri Jul 31, 2009 4:14 pm; edited 10 times in total
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 9:28 am Reply with quote
I'm currently reading the North American comic Wanted in it's trade edition. It's about a world where supervillians have banded together and killed all the superheroes and this Joe Blow finds out that he's actually a supervillian and gets brought into this world. This comic really is quite disturbing, which probably makes the reading of it go slower than it might otherwise, but it's also really interesting.

I'm also working my way through George RR Martin's A Storm of Swords, book three of A Song of Ice and Fire. It's a decent book, I do enjoy this series, though not as much as a lot of people I know (I don't see Martin as God's gift to fantasy and I also have concerns over his ability to keep control over the plot and not become another Robert Jordan). It does have a wide-range of plots, so there's probably something out there that most people could like, but at the same time the wide-range means that there are likely certain plots you don't care for at all. Still a good read for a hardcore fantasy person, if you don't mind the fact that it's going to be REALLY long.
x_silversurfer

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 9:48 am Reply with quote
I'm reading an old classic:

Great Teacher Onizuka (or GTO)!!!
I think I am Onizuka... haha, In case you aren't familiar with the series, Eikichi Onizuka. 22 years old. Currently Single. He has a history runing around in his youth with the toughest crouds around, and now... He's teaching them! haha, The once legendary biker known as Onibaku, has traded in his motorcycle for a piece of chalk and a piece of a 16yr old... er.. For a Teaching position at the local Junior high. Only he's given the toughest of tough classes (some cute babes!) with a lot of mean pranks that will drive him to the brink of insanity, and in some cases, might even get him killed! How will his first year of teaching go? Will His class get the better of him? Or will he wind up getting that hs girl he always wanted... cause you know, if he marries her now, she'll be in her 20s when he's in his 40s...
Find out and enjoy this loveable series!

*Heh, I had to throw in a lot of "Onizuka moments" in order to get people to kinda know where the manga is going...*

I love this manga Smile
RecklessFire2

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 10:50 am Reply with quote
Oi. Long list. I'm reading:

Naruto
When Naruto was born the spirit of a evil nine-tailed fox was imprisoned within him, rendering him the hate of the villagers in the ninja-village of the Leaf who feared the demon in him. Countering this hate he grew into the role of the clown, trying to attract attention by making a fool of himself and his teachers. But within him dwells the dream of becoming Hokage, the strongest warrior of the village. When he graduates from the academy he’s placed in the same group as Sakura, the technician and the girl he loves and Sasuke, the strong, quiet guy and his rival for Sakura. Leader and teacher of the group are Kakashi, the strange and always late, though powerful ninja.
I think it's really good. I'm just waiting to continue reading it the next time I feel like reading it.

Full Metal Alchemist
When two brothers, Edward and Alphonse Elric tried to revive their mother using Alchemy, something went drastically wrong. Edward lost his leg and his arm, and Alphonse lost his entire body. Now, a few years later, Edward becomes what's known as a "State Alchemist" or a Nationally recognized Alchemist. Along with Alphonse, who's spirit has been put into a metal suit of armor, and his Automail leg and arm, the two brothers set out to find a way to restore themselves. I think this is really good too. I am currently reading this. < Like right now (I'm multi-tasking.)>

One Piece
Luffy tries to gather a pirate crew to become a pirate king. They seek the legendary treasure "Onepiece." Another good series that I am reading. Just waiting for the time when I feel like reading it.

Psychic Academy
The Psychic Academy is a school for students who have "aura ability." These people can use certain elements (i.e. fire, water, earth) depending on their aura. Shiomi Ai is a new student, unsure of his ability, which has yet to reveal itself. He hopes to reunite with his childhood friend/crush Orina but once there, he meets Mew, a powerful aura user who doesn't like to talk. "Psychic Academy" follows Shiomi's relationships between Orina and Mew while he tries to figure out his place in the aura world. I just started reading this like four days ago. I haven't quite read enough to make a judgement on what I think about it. But it looks good so far.

Death Note
Shinigami own notebooks called “Death Notes” which are used as killing devices. Whoever’s name they write down in a death note will die within 40 seconds. Shinigami Ryuku accidentally dropped his Death Note in the human world where it’s found by honor high school student Raito. With the death note actually having directions in it for its use, Raito discovers he now has the power to discreetly kill people, and with this new power he plans to change the world in his ideal world by killing off criminals. Eventually the governments of the countries around the world notice the unusual amounts of deaths of their criminals, and figure out someone is behind them, but they have no way of discovering it themselves. That’s when they hire L, a master detective, to find out who is behind the murders. Another good one that I started. I am witing until I want to continue reading it.

Fushigi Yugi
Miaka was just an average student preparing to take the exams for high school. She goes to study with her extremely smart best friend Yui, when she and her friend are drawn into the book, "The Universe of the Four Gods." There, she is offered the position of the Priestess of Suzaku, one of the gods, to be awarded 3 wishes. In order to summon Suzaku, she must find the 7 celestial warriors of Suzaku, which are identified by a character somewhere on their body. Along the way, her friend Yui is made the Priestess of Seiryu and turns into her enemy. As Miaka goes to find the Celestial warriors, many turns and obstacles are in her path. She must fight the warriors of Seiryu and save Konan and her life. I am waiting for the 18th volume of this to come out. I do believe Borders gets it today so I will be getting it so I can finally finish the series.

Fushigi Yugi: Genbu Kaiden
Takiko is a girl who is sad, lonely, and unpopular at school. Her mother is sick and dying, the man she loves is married to someone else, and her father spends months away from home. However, on the day her mother dies, and her father brings home an odd book called "The Universe of the Four Gods", Takiko is pulled into the book and discovers herself to be the Genbu no Miko in a time when she is not welcome .... I began to read this because it was a prequel to FY. Waiting for the 4th volume

Yes. I am reading all of these at the same time. I jump from one to another.
Kagemusha

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 10:49 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Doing Time by Kazuichi Hanawa

I was half expecting something like Oz when I read this. Definitally a diffrent take on life behind bars. A little dry at times, but the facinating storytelling makes up for it. Anyways:

Koukou Debut-One of the best and freshest shojo titles I've come across in a long while. In addition to very strong characters (one of the better heroines out there), what really drew me into the story was the authors clever use of cliches. By taking cliches that usually hurt a story and twisting them around, she really creates a great read with comedy, romance and of course, drama. I love the bold (yet still delicate) art style that's a nice departure from the typical art.

Me and the Devil Blues-Oh so great. Just read the newly released chapters and it doesn't disapoint. Hell, now the intro is over and the story of Robert Johnson has really started. Can't say enough good things about this title; one of the most original and spellbinding mangas out there.

Girlfriend-Interesting seires that takes a look into the relationships of young couples and shows how they develop. In short, it's an ero manga with brains. The quality varies from story to story and none of them are masterpieces by any means, but neverless a fun read.
SharinganEyes92

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 3:05 pm Reply with quote
I am reading two mangas at this time. They are:

Naruto - Nearly everyone already knows about this series, so I'm not going to take time to explain it. And plus, someone has already posted a description of it in this forum.

I love this manga. It's almost as good as the series. It gives me the Naruto action I need when the anime is going through a stupid filler arc.

Bleach - This manga is about about Kurosaki Ichigo, who is a 15 year old boy that has an ability to see ghosts/spirits. Because of his ability, he is able to meet a female death god (a.k.a Shinigami) named Kuchiki Rukia. To save his family and friends from unwanted soul-eating spirits (Hollows), Rukia transfers her Shinigami powers to Ichigo. As Rukia takes on a human shell, together they solve mysteries involving spirits and hollows.

I love this manga. I can't stop reading it, and I can't stop watching the series. It has almost replaced Naruto in my heart. I love it. There is one minor difference between the manga and the series, though. In the manga, they refer to Rukia as a "Soul Reaper", however in the anime, they refer to her as a Death god. With this difference or not, I couldn't love this series/manga more.
shamelessfanboy

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2006 5:54 pm Reply with quote
At the moment: Just picked up Blue Spring the other night. Good stuff. Going through BOTI again on a whim, too.

On another note, new chapters of Me and the Devil Blues? Damn, I've been waiting for Mangascreener to make their move for a while now, and they just happen to do so during the week I'm away from my computer. :/
Dogmanstar

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 2:52 am Reply with quote
Currently reading: MPD Psycho by Otsuka Eiji. This is a pretty old series which was first printed in 1997 and had a live-action TV drama to it.

In a nutshell, the main character is a detective who suffers from Multi Personality Disorder after witnessing the violent death of someone close to him. As the story developes, questions began to surface as to the connection between all the grisly crimes and the detective himself. The artwork of this manga is excellent as it delivers a realistic presentation of the bizarre crimes which is essential to the story. Since the story involves some twisted psychopaths, it contains body parts and corpses mutilation as well as violence involving children. Its morbid. I'm not always into thriller/mystery but this manga is an exception. It's a damn bloody good read.
OnePieceFANatic

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 5:05 am Reply with quote
[EDIT: Next time, please tell everyone why those said manga are "really good." Thanks. -TK]

No Prob. Cool

Naruto
---------------
I mainly like this manga because of the cool way the fights are made. There is genius behind it, and you have to be clever and a real master of trickery to survive as a Ninja in the world of Naruto. Some of the tactics these Ninja employ are really clever, which shows that the writer puts thought into his works. Also, Naruto has this fierce determination to be the best, and he never gives up. That kind of thing appeals to me. A good series.

Death Note
----------------
I like this one because it's stylish, and has that serious coolness to it. The tactics L uses to try to find light are very ingenius (simple, but effective, that's genius), and how Light Yagami (the main character) evades these attempts is equally smart. It also shows that the writer thought it all out, and did a good job at that. Also, despite all that Light does, whenever he's in a tight situation, or has to do something fast to not get caught, you still feel tense, and want him to get away with it. I'm still only at the third volume though.

One Piece
----------------

Last, but certainly not least, it's my favorite manga of all time.

What I really like about One Piece is the comfortable feel it has, the great light hearted characters, and the vast, vast world it's set in. At the beginning I'm really interested to see what the Grand Line is like, and when I do, I see it really is a very interesting place indeed. All sorts of unnatural phenomenon take place there, but the author manages to explain these in a very easy to understand and believable way. It makes you think that if our world was just slightly different, all these things may be possible.

Also, travelling with the Straw hat Pirates is always full of new things to see, and just about every city they go to is different, and sometimes odd (for example, a city that is built on water). In order to live in a bizzare places like this, people adapt all sorts of methods of transportation, construction, and different gadgets they use (like the water elevator, or dials) instead of using cars, light bulbs, fans etc, and the author explains how they do it. Every detail in One Piece is explained thoroughly, kinda like Lord of the Rings, which really makes you live in the story.

Also, Luffy and his crew are like a family. They are fiercly loyal to their captian, and he is loyal to them, but their relationships are very informal. They're basically all very good firends, and Luffy is very determined, and never gives up or loses heart. That kind of determination, I find admirable. Especially how he will brave ANY, and I mean any, odds to get one or more of his buddies out of a pickle.

Ahh One Piece, it's truly a masterpiece... I recommend it to anyone who can read.

Last edited by OnePieceFANatic on Tue Apr 18, 2006 1:29 am; edited 1 time in total
vrempire

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 5:54 am Reply with quote
I'm reading One Piece right now:

One Piece
---------
My younger brother bought it and buy it first. At first I thought it just the normal comic. My best manga that I read before is Dragon Ball. When I just pick it up and read in the middle of the story, at the chapter about the historic life of Tony Tony Chopper, than I know this is one of the special manga in the market...
Quite amazing how the cartooning-like character show their emotion very well...
Kagemusha

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 12:18 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
On another note, new chapters of Me and the Devil Blues? Damn, I've been waiting for Mangascreener to make their move for a while now, and they just happen to do so during the week I'm away from my computer. :/

I feel for ya. Hiramoto really took the story to a new level. Just when you think you've got RJ's journey pegged, he blows you away with his most recent story. It sure isn't historically accurate, but I look at Devil Blues more of a folktale than historical fiction anyways.
Speaking of that certain scanslator, the second story of Witches is just as impressive as the first. While the first had themes of personal revenge and the destruction of human culture, this story is about the conflict between man and nature as well as human greed and corruption. It's only one chapter, but it's epic in scope and masterfully told with moments that are truely jaw-dropping. There's a two page illustration in particular that just blew me away (you'll know when you see it, trust me). I'm really hoping Viz picks this one up, because it has the potential to bring a whole new audience to manga a la The Sandman for American comics.
slickwataris

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 12:51 pm Reply with quote
I checked out a lot of OEL manga from the library last week but only finished a couple. Idiotz wasn't that bad, it's like a mix of X-men and Scobby-do. It's about an idiot who wants to join the army but can't so he forms his own mini-army of idiots. Can get a little repititve at times but still readable. Psy-comm was pretty bad. It's about war and scoring points for killing people, I think. Most of the soldiers have psychic powers and junk. Pretty boring actually.

Also I bought the 7th volume of Chrono Crusade after what a half a year wait. I'm also starting to re-read Planetes again.

scan wise I started Vinland Saga which is by the author of Planetes. It's about Vikings.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
milcor1

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 2:34 pm Reply with quote
Ningen Kyouki Katsuo - Aka the "elephant penis" manga. An absolutely hillarious "yankee" manga about a kid who gets caught up in the gang wars of his neighbourhood, when all he wanted was to sleep with a hot chick. The art is so deliciously exaggerated and this is the sort of stuff that you'd expect to only see in Japan.

Shamo - Boy kills parents, boy goes to jail, and boy learns karate. A very gritty manga about what the mangaka calls a study of the effectiveness of "self-surpassing" versus "rehabilitation" in reforming a person. The brutality here reminds me a bit of Ichi the Killer and sometimes you just have a hard time of staying on the side of the main character as his methods and lifestyle drastically change over the course of his lifetime.

Keep on Vibrating - An absolutely F**CKED up collection of short stories from one of my favorite manga artists, Jiro Matsumoto of Freesia. The whole volume is filled with his weird obsession of surreal sex scenes but there are some great chapters in here particularly the ones with the kid brother and sister.
molloaggie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 7:05 pm Reply with quote
Basara, Red River, Fushigi Yugi: Genbu Kaiden, & Chrono Crusade - I love the combination of strong female lead characters, romance, and action in these titles.

Nodame Cantabile - It's a slice of life manga with romance and laughs. The characters aren't high schoolers, but in their 20s, adding a slice of maturity not found in some titles.

Firefighter! Daigo of Company M - The story of a rookie fightfighter is truly an unusual premise but the mangaka pulls it off with honors. A great story line and full of heart. Calendar not included.
Kagemusha

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 11:23 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Keep on Vibrating

This is probobly my favorite thing from Matsumoto yet. Really surreal and bizarre, yet also exellently told with dashes of black humor. Alot of people ignore erotic manga not for the content, but because hentai has a reputation for having poor stories. There are some really incredible erotic manga out there from amazing storytellers like Naoki Yamamoto, Hiroaki Samura and Kyoko Okazaki.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page   Next
Page 1 of 154