• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Welcome to The Space Show

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Analog_Now

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 9:51 pm Reply with quote
I had high hopes for this movie and have been waiting long for a review. I will still probably try to watch it and see for myself.
andyscout

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 10:21 pm Reply with quote
Sad. Having watched the first 20 minutes, I thought that there was no way it wouldn't end up being a good movie. Ah well, I've watched things for worse reasons than "pretty animation" so I think I can get past a sub-par plot.
GWOtaku

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 10:42 pm Reply with quote
Sounds like a good time to me, imperfections notwithstanding. I'll find out soon enough via the Otakon screening.
Xagor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 5:08 am Reply with quote
I had enjoyed this film during the opening parts, but as it went on I found my enthusiasm waning. It just felt too long and that they tried to put too much into one movie.
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 6:39 am Reply with quote
Man!! If only I was allowed to go to Otakon I would've gone to see it's premiere!! I wanna see this movie!
gartholamundi

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 7:50 am Reply with quote
you're a rock star, Tim. thanks for reviewing this. i've thoroughly enjoyed all your reviews here at ANN that i've been able to find, such as this, Redline and your contributions to the Spring 2010 preview guide, and your appearance on the ANN podcast. i'm seriously looking forward to hearing about your ideas and takes on anime in the future.
Brack

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 2:51 pm Reply with quote
Xagor wrote:
I had enjoyed this film during the opening parts, but as it went on I found my enthusiasm waning. It just felt too long and that they tried to put too much into one movie.

I felt it lagged a bit towards the end due to the overly mechanical nature of the plot. It has to put so many "Chekhov's gun" elements in place during each segment for the ending to play out, that you're expecting the earlier ones to come into play before they actually do.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 6:19 pm Reply with quote
Can't wait for this to come out here.

Also my fears of what the runtime might be have been nicely averted, really glad it's achieved the 2hr range and even moreso given the scope beyond Earth settings of where they go described in the review that was hinted at in the early synopsis of the film and that it actually sounds like they did indeed follow through on it.

With that extra scifi touch I actually think I'm going to enjoy this more than several of the recent already excellent family friendly films.
deechan

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 10:12 pm Reply with quote
Loved the Miyazaki-esque beginning, but once the kids went into space it felt like it dragged on forever. Can't remember the last time I checked my watch so much in a movie...which is disappointing, since I really love sci fi. The plot was just all over the place and each separate bit of plot was so by the numbers it was painful. The art and animation were beautiful, but I couldn't sit through it again.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 6:45 pm Reply with quote
I wouldn't mind checking this out based on the review. I want to see all of the elements mentioned. To be honest just from the image it looks interesting. It reminds me of Summer Wars at first glance.

Okay looking at the designs I can see some of the influences or "rips" if that's what you want to call it. I found a 23min trailer on YT. Good lard who the hell posts a trailer that long? It's funny I didn't think about 'Kamichu' (which is made by the same team). But now I'm pretty much interested in seeing it even if it's okay. It does show great production value. It could be fun despite all things.
Kyogissun

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 10:27 pm Reply with quote
I've gotta say, this review is only one side of the coin. By the conclusion of the film, I'd pretty much grasped everything that was going on for the most part, sans tiny unimportant points here and there. There's no loose ends, no unnecessary moments, it's all very fun and excitement with a splash of edge like mentioned in the review.

I think that people really need to see the film for themselves, because had I not seen Space Show to its conclusion, I probably would have felt the same... But it was a fantastic experience and I truly enjoyed getting to see it.
bglassbrook

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 4:57 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
In fact, by the (admittedly incredibly action packed and frenetic) third act it's hard to remember who is meant to be doing what, and why

I never really lost track of who was up to what. Hoever, there were definitely a few points in the second and fourth parts that really seemed to drag along without providing any development of the characters, making the movie feel a lot longer than only 2:15 (as quoted in the article.)

Regardless of the pacing issues, it was really pretty, so I hope it sees a worthy release state-side.
Emerje

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 6:01 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I agree with everyone who said the movie dragged after a while. I was really enjoying it for the most part until they left the moon, but then it started to feel a bit tedious. They felt the need to explain ever tiny little detail in what I'll assume was an attention to flesh out the story's universe which is really sharp contrast to Miyazaki's way of doing a lot, but leaving it all to the viewer's imagination to figure out. I did begin to loose track of things, I'm still not entirely sure what was happening at the end, there was far to much going on to catch in one viewing, but I'm not sure if I want to watch it a second time. Despite that I was happy at the end, but it could have stood to be shorter or at least used some travel montages rather than wasting time explaining things that aren't even important to the story.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
zrdb

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 1:13 pm Reply with quote
Having gotten the UK Manga bluray release I found this to be an exciting (although quite busy) feature-true, it did have a multithreaded plot line and the characters were a lilttle wonky but it was an excellent watch.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:26 pm Reply with quote
Well I finally had a chance to see this movie yesterday as part of Gkids's festival program for this year. This was the premier dub. The original sub was screened 2 years ago (2011). Now I will have to agree with the review. It's visual stunning, and it is a fun watch when you get there but the plot is extremely bogged down with too much story that you have to ask yourself, which is really the plot and how does it connect. And yes and it does drag. It's one of those cases where someone wanted to make an original movie that sounds good but once they get there the critic is where you pick all the flaws. It was a good execution but there may have been a better way to break down the story instead of throwing it into a 2hr and 18 min movie. Sure we watch those types of movies but it's important to make the point without being garbled. But all in all I did enjoy it and will add it to my collection. While not the best I am glad to see productions like this happening. Smile
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2