• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Laugh Factory

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AnimeMaine

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:17 pm Reply with quote
I agree that Emma is a great show. I loved it.

I saw the first episode of Panty & Stocking and found that it was not my type of humor.

I would be interested in a subbed version of Shin-chan. However, Bamboo confirms my suspicions about the English dub. I gather there are many topical references which become dated quickly. Additionally, (and I could be wrong about this) if Bamboo mentions that there are a lot of Republican jokes, there may not be as many Democratic jokes. I enjoy equal-opportunity comedy, but just bashing one side turns me off.
supercreep

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:22 pm Reply with quote
I'm a fan of Shin-Chan, but Panty & Stocking really isn't my thing.
Penguin_Factory

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:06 pm Reply with quote
I remember watching Emma back in the day on fansubs. I assumed it was the sort of show that would never get a DVD release in a million years, so I'm glad someone decided to take the plunge. Must buy it soon.
the skinny

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:06 pm Reply with quote
I LOVE both Shin-Chan and Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt. But yeah, my humor is def. more dark and adult or clever pop culture references, so maybe that's why.
zawa113

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:28 pm Reply with quote
I find good humor near impossible to come by. Not just anime and manga, but US stuff too. I might get a laugh out of things here and there, but finding Hot Fuzz levels of humor is very difficult. It's why I don't usually look for comedies anymore anyway.

But I must agree that merely adding curse words does not make things funny. It makes things sound like an online Call of Duty match comprised entirely of 13 year olds.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:29 pm Reply with quote
the skinny wrote:
I LOVE both Shin-Chan and Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt. But yeah, my humor is def. more dark and adult or clever pop culture references, so maybe that's why.

"Adult" is the last thing I'd call the humor in Shin-chan or Panty & Stocking.

Inappropriate for children, yes. Adult, nope.
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:34 pm Reply with quote
Shin Chan is consistently just as clever and relevant as The Simpsons, but the former is much darker and requires less set-up for its jokes. The Simpsons might have longer laughs as a result, but Shin Chan always gets a higher quantity of chuckles out of me. Given that I happily compare these two shows, it is probably obvious that I am a huge fan of Shin Chan. Smile
belvadeer

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:40 pm Reply with quote
classicalzawa wrote:
But I must agree that merely adding curse words does not make things funny. It makes things sound like an online Call of Duty match comprised entirely of 13 year olds.

This exactly. Isn't slapping in a script full of curse words what ruined some dubs in the past? Are we so quick to forget the fail that was Angel Cop? I thought we got past this juvenile stage of localizing (I'm okay with a curse word here or there for impact, but not every five seconds). Then again, the U.S. loves this kind of stuff, though I'm not entirely sure why. There seems to be some absurd connection between "swearing constantly" and "making you a man" that has existed since the early 90s.
potatochobit

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:50 pm Reply with quote
the proper term is toilet humor.

keep that crap out of my anime, though, I am Ok with Panty and Stocking because it is 'artistic' in a sense and tries to bring new innovation to the genre.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:00 pm Reply with quote
someone at Gainax told Jamie Marchi to make it as vulgar as possible, and she did. that's why it's like that
Agent355

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:04 pm Reply with quote
When I watch Downton Abbey, I sometimes imagine I'm watching a live action Emma. I truly believe Emma has the better story, and I wish someone at the BBC will discover it. I just want a British live action adaptation of my favorite Victorian Romance manga. Is that too much to ask?!

The lack of dub really bothered me and I just couldn't get into the anime when I tried to watch it. But I recently read Kaoru Mori's "Anything and Something" and her author's notes are full of praise for the anime, its historical details, artistry and a plot direction that, she wrote, is slightly different from the manga's, which renewed my interest. I still wish it had a British-accented dub, though.

In the meantime I'm dream casting the guy who plays Matthew Crawley as William and Maggie Smith as the Governess. Not sure who'd play Emma... Wink
rinmackie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:06 pm Reply with quote
Also, since PSG is a parody/homage to American cartoons, wouldn't the use of excessive swears be poking fun of the fact that Americans love curse words in their "adult comedy"? It's been a while since I've seen South Park but I'm sure they're still dropping f-bombs and other naughty words in every episode. The only reason they don't really cuss on "The Simpsons" is because it's on broadcast tv.
zawa113

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:10 pm Reply with quote
South Park had an entire episode where they established why just saying curse words all the time is a terrible idea (season 5 ep 1, "It hits the fan") Yes, they still curse every episode, but nowhere near to the degree that PSG does. They use it less often, so it's funnier when they actually do. It's about balance in cursing, not going all or nothing.
rinmackie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:23 pm Reply with quote
classicalzawa wrote:
South Park had an entire episode where they established why just saying curse words all the time is a terrible idea (season 5 ep 1, "It hits the fan") Yes, they still curse every episode, but nowhere near to the degree that PSG does. They use it less often, so it's funnier when they actually do. It's about balance in cursing, not going all or nothing.

Yes, but my point was that PSG was making fun of that by going overboard. But I guess maybe that was something the Japanese audience was supposed to get?
zawa113

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:43 pm Reply with quote
^But wasn't there a lot less cursing in the Japanese?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4